Current state of Sens roster formation

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I tried to break the current roster down as follows, feel free to post yours and the types of moves realistically available to fill those needs.

Foundational (DO NOT TRADE):
1. Tkachuk
2. Stutzle
3. Sanderson
4. Norris
5. Pinto
6. Greig

Veteran Core (TRADE ONLY IF THE ROSTER FAILS AGAIN and VALUE COMING BACK IS RIGHT):
1. Zub
2. Batherson
3. Giroux

Trade chips (ONLY ONE CAN BE TRADED)
1. Chychrun
2. Chabot

Other trade options (DO NOT EXPECT A HIGH RETURN):
1. Matthieu Joseph

Team Needs:
1. Goalie
2. Second pairing Defensive RD (top-4)
3. Veteran Physical/shutdown D-MAN (bottom-6, RD preferred)
4. Veteran bottom 6 forwards
5. A top-9 forward who can chip in offensively

This team's most pressing need has been met in spectacular fashion AND without trading any of the roster players.

Seeing how active Staios is, I fully expect need number two being met as well, a bonafide 2nd pairing RD. Tanev, DeMelo type.

Last edited:
Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
They still need a good, top 4 RD and good coaching so that playing strong team D is a habit.

Reactions: Cosmix

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Greig - Stützle - Giroux
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Teräväinen - Pinto - Joseph
Crookshank - Halliday - Duhaime
Kelly

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Brännström
Kleven- Bernard-Docker
Hamonic

Ullmark
Forsberg

That would be pretty tight to the cap so we basically have to choose between a Top-9 forward or a Top-4 RHD. Poor Staios with not many ready forward prospects. Ostapchuk, Halliday, Crookshank and Jarventie are our only hopes to find another decent player for cheap

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Greig - Stützle - Giroux
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Teräväinen - Pinto - Joseph
Crookshank - Halliday - Duhaime
Kelly

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Brännström
Kleven- Bernard-Docker
Hamonic

Ullmark
Forsberg

That would be pretty tight to the cap so we basically have to choose between a Top-9 forward or a Top-4 RHD. Poor Staios with not many ready forward prospects. Ostapchuk, Halliday, Crookshank and Jarventie are our only hopes to find another decent player for cheap
I suppose you are signing Teravainen with the hope that scoring more goals (GF/G) will counter the Senator's poor defensive play (GA/G). Hopefully the new coaching staff will implement a system and role assignments which improve the GA/G.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I suppose you are signing Teravainen with the hope that scoring more goals (GF/G) will counter the Senator's poor defensive play (GA/G). Hopefully the new coaching staff will implement a system and role assignments which improve the GA/G.

Teuvo is a puck possession player, which is efficient to keep the puck away from your zone, which is what I would be looking to do.

SCOUTING REPORT (sportsforecaster)
A true playmaking wing, his skating, skills and creativity more than compensate for his lack of size and muscle. He has excellent offensive instincts and terrific hands, as well as very good possession numbers, meaning that when he is on the ice, the puck is usually headed in the right direction. Concussion issues are hopefully behind him.

He played the last 8 seasons on a team that "plays the right way" so he went to the right school, we need more of that. Our players have had a deficit under DJ Dorion

It also makes that 3rd line even more potent offensively. Pinto has a good shot so he could use a good playmaker. I could see Joseph scoring more too

I am open to several other players too but don't think we can afford a really good player, Norris would have to be a LTIR all season

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Teuvo is a puck possession player, which is efficient to keep the puck away from your zone, which is what I would be looking to do.
I'd love Teravainen, but it's his last chance at a big contract and he'd be a luxury for us at what he costs. He won't be signing for a penny less than $6 million aav, and we have no business spending that on a middle 6 winger before we had our RD situation sorted

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't like the look of that D. I'd like to see only 1 of JBD or Brannstrom as a full time guy on the 3rd pairing if we're going down that road.

Reactions: SNES

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok, so we have a better idea of what Oct will look like

Tkachuk-Stü-Giroux
Perron-Pinto-Batherson
Greig-Norris-Amidio
Gregor-Ostapchuk-Joseph

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Jensen
Kleven-JBD

Ullmark
Forsberg

Extra: Hamonic, MacEwen, Crookshank

I think that's a pretty deep group with Norris and Greig on a third line. Id like to see us move out Joseph and use the cap space created to upgrade JBD,

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005

Tkachuk-Stü-Giroux
Perron-Pinto-Batherson
Greig-Norris-Amidio
Gregor-Ostapchuk-Joseph

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Jensen
Kleven-JBD

Ullmark
Forsberg

I think that's a pretty deep group with Norris and Greig on a third line. Id like to see us move out Joseph and use the cap space created to upgrade JBD,
That isn’t a team that should finish towards the bottom of the league

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Florida, Boston, Toronto easily ahead. Tampa too probably. Montreal, Detroir and Buffalo could pass us in the near future, all 3 teams have a much much better prospect pool.

I will try to build up some optimism but don’t be surprised if nobody outside of the fanbase sees us as a playoffs team.

This team is going to be really slow too
I'd be surprised in Montreal doesn't leap frog us in a couple years, their new management group is much more competent than the previous one and they are building things right over there.

Detroit might already be ahead but I don't really like their talent pool, they strike me as perpetual one and done type team destined for mediocrity. Don't know what Buffalo's issue is, they are loaded with talent and a great prospect pool but never seem to find a way to get it together, no idea when or if they will be a legit contender.

The top 4 dogs are so far ahead and will most likely remain that way for several years, I don't see them dropping off anytime soon.

Reactions: SixthSens

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Florida, Boston, Toronto easily ahead. Tampa too probably. Montreal, Detroir and Buffalo could pass us in the near future, all 3 teams have a much much better prospect pool.

I will try to build up some optimism but don’t be surprised if nobody outside of the fanbase sees us as a playoffs team.

This team is going to be really slow too

Pretty much the entire TSN panel thought they did well and Marty Biron on overdrive said that they were the only team that improved out of Detroit, Buffalo and Montreal in the Atlantic.

I seriously don’t know how you can look at today’s roster and say it’s worse than last year. I seriously don’t know how you can have opinion. It’s objectively better.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Tkachuk-Stü-Giroux
Perron-Pinto-Batherson
Greig-Norris-Amidio
Gregor-Ostapchuk-Joseph

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Jensen
Kleven-JBD

Ullmark
Forsberg

That is an extremely slow forward group without Joseph. 2nd line has no puck retrieval forward. I prefer Greig at center than on the wing over Norris he hangs onto more pucks and distributes them better. To me Norris is a winger and he needs to he a puck retrieval guy I personally don't see him playing but if he did and everyone is healthy. This is how I'd line it up. That first line was so good last year being heavy on possession. The middle two lines I think Joseph and Norris are interchangeable. I think Greig and Perron make for a great pair and can really agitate. What I like about Amadio is his versatility if there is an injury he can play in any forward position.

Tkachuk Pinto Batherson
Norris Stutzle Giroux
Joseph Grieg Perron
Gregor Ostapchuk Amadio

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That is an extremely slow forward group without Joseph. 2nd line has no puck retrieval forward. I prefer Greig at center than on the wing over Norris he hangs onto more pucks and distributes them better. To me Norris is a winger and he needs to he a puck retrieval guy I personally don't see him playing but if he did and everyone is healthy. This is how I'd line it up. That first line was so good last year being heavy on possession. The middle two lines I think Joseph and Norris are interchangeable. I think Greig and Perron make for a great pair and can really agitate. What I like about Amadio is his versatility if there is an injury he can play in any forward position.

Tkachuk Pinto Batherson
Norris Stutzle Giroux
Joseph Grieg Perron
Gregor Ostapchuk Amadio
I like your lineup, though I don't see them breaking up Tkachuk from Stu and giroux. I was just looking for a general idea of the roster rather than actual lines, but this makes sense to me

With all the changes in place, I think we should be able to cut down significantly on goals against. The 4th line looks upgraded to me, and if Norris is in the lineup from day one even if it's the "new Norris" that still shies away from contact and no longer rips one timers, I think our scoring should be pretty similar to last year, maybe better if the PP clicks.

The question is how many goals can we cut down on, and how many more can we score.

I think we should aim to reduce goals against by ~30 which would get us to around average. (Ullmark is doing the heavy lifting here, but Jensen and added depth should help)

I also think increasing GF by 10 should be attainable, and get us into the top half

That would have us at 265 GF and 251 GA, a +14 differential, around 15th in the league and 7th in the east relative to last year.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I tried to break the current roster down as follows, feel free to post yours and the types of moves realistically available to fill those needs.

Foundational (DO NOT TRADE):
1. Tkachuk
2. Stutzle
3. Sanderson
4. Norris
5. Pinto
6. Greig

Veteran Core (TRADE ONLY IF THE ROSTER FAILS AGAIN and VALUE COMING BACK IS RIGHT):
1. Zub
2. Batherson
3. Giroux

Trade chips (ONLY ONE CAN BE TRADED)
1. Chychrun
2. Chabot

Other trade options (DO NOT EXPECT A HIGH RETURN):
1. Matthieu Joseph

Team Needs:
1. Goalie (Ullmark)
2. Second pairing Defensive RD (Jensen)
3. Veteran Physical/shutdown D-MAN (bottom-6, RD preferred)
4. Veteran bottom 6 forward (Amadio, Gregor)
5. A top-9 forward who can chip in offensively (Perron)

Not the sexiest names, but Staios did address most of the team's pressing needs, a veteran physical/shutdown guy still a missing ingredient. With the cap strain and Pinto needing a contract, I think they will be looking at giving young Tyler Kleven every opportunity to make the team. Assuming Joseph is traded and a healthy Norris, the line-up could look like the following:

Tkachuk-Stützle-Giroux
Perron-Norris-Batherson
Greig-Pinto-Amadio
Gregor-Ostapchuk-MacEwen

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Jensen
Kleven-JBD

Ullmark
Forsberg

Extra: Hamonic, Crookshank/Training Camp winner

That bottom pairing is really inexperienced, so some coaching/tactical decisions will need to go into their deployment, with the top-4 D playing majority of the minutes. Would still have preferred a veteran shutdown guy, but c'est la vie.

Overall, the the roster has improved. For the results to improve, a lot of the returning players - Chabot and Norris in particular - need to stay healthy and productive. I expect Chabot's game to improve with Jensen as his partner.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy and Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok, so... I think we have appropriate guys for the required roles (don't mind the exact lines/pairings)

ES
Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Perron-Pinto-Batherson
Norris-Greig-Amidio
Gregor-Ostapchuk-Gaudette/MacEwen/whoever

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Jensen
Kleven-JBD

PP
Tkachuk
Norris-Stu-Giroux
Chabot

PP2
Greig
Pinto-Perron-Batherson
Sanderson

PK
Gregor-Giroux
Sanderson-Zub

PK2
Greig-Pinto
Kleven-Jensen

Other PK potential: Ostapchuk, Norris, JBD,

I'd love to upgrade JBD who I don't see as adding any unique skillset, but as a roster it looks like it's built with a purpose imo.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

SensFanInMTL

Apr 25, 2020
Apologies in advance but I'm heading into the 2024-2025 season as the 8th year that it happens again. I mean it's already been 7. Why do I have hope now?

Reactions: SENStastic

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ok, so... I think we have appropriate guys for the required roles (don't mind the exact lines/pairings)

ES
Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Perron-Pinto-Batherson
Norris-Greig-Amidio
Gregor-Ostapchuk-Gaudette/MacEwen/whoever

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Jensen
Kleven-JBD

PP
Tkachuk
Norris-Stu-Giroux
Chabot

PP2
Greig
Pinto-Perron-Batherson
Sanderson

PK
Gregor-Giroux
Sanderson-Zub

PK2
Greig-Pinto
Kleven-Jensen

Other PK potential: Ostapchuk, Norris, JBD,

I'd love to upgrade JBD who I don't see as adding any unique skillset, but as a roster it looks like it's built with a purpose imo.
I have concerns down the middle with having so much youth. Sens should really add someone who can win them faceoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad