Cujo <——> Oettinger: 27 years later

Which save was better?

• Total voters

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Otters save was good but it wasn’t nearly as impressive, Had help from Tanev and just had to keep his stick flat on the ice

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Cujo was my favorite player as a kid and is the sole reason I've been an Oilers fan since I was 9 years old.

Cujo all day all long!

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Cujo has a more similar and better stick save against Colorado in 1998 I believe. It was honestly one the best saves I ever seen. For a guy that gets criticized for his playoff performances, Cujo has a few stolen series under his belt

Cujo style was exciting to watch. We don’t see goalies like this anymore due to the league preferring goalies with size and butterfly style to just cover the net as much as possible.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Cujo's was definitely better and Tanev is not getting nearly enough credit.

He's absolutely not. Tanev got his stick in between and killed any chance of McDavid getting lift or power on that shot. Especially when you consider the angle of Oettinger's blade on the reach across.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Nieuwendyk <-----> McDavid :cool:
rick-flair.gif

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Cujo 100%. Niewenduyk got a much better shot off than McDavid, the stakes were far higher, and they actually won that game in OT in an elimination game. Outside the context, it was flat-out just a better save. Oettinger's was pretty good also though.

With that being said, it is cool to see two pretty similar saves in playoff games between the two same teams this many years apart.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
It’s not close.

And thank you whoever for that ridiculous Cujo coming out of the corner reaching back stick save clip, glad to see it again, remember it.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Cujo should be in the HOF.
Great goalie and a lot of fun to watch in his prime, but I disagree.
And I say that as an Oilers supporter who really became a fan thanks to those 97 and 98 series vs. Dallas and Colorado.

In terms of team accomplishments, Cujo has no Stanley Cups, was out-dueled by Richter at the 96 world cup, and lost his starters role to Brodeur at the 02 Olympics.

And then no individual awards. Compare that to the likes of Belfour, Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek. Even Belfour who is the "worst" of that group has a Calder, two Vezinas, and a Cup to his name.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Great goalie and a lot of fun to watch in his prime, but I disagree.
And I say that as an Oilers supporter who really became a fan thanks to those 97 and 98 series vs. Dallas and Colorado.

In terms of team accomplishments, Cujo has no Stanley Cups, was out-dueled by Richter at the 96 world cup, and lost his starters role to Brodeur at the 02 Olympics.

And then no individual awards. Compare that to the likes of Belfour, Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek. Even Belfour who is the "worst" of that group has a Calder, two Vezinas, and a Cup to his name.

But he married a Playmate!!

• Haha
Reactions: Zenos

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Cujo stole that series for Edmonton. Moog let in some shaky goals at inopportune times. That game 5 OT goal he gave up was brutal.

The weird thing about Cujo is he seemed to play better as the underdog (93,97-98, 01) than the favorite (95,99,02,96 world cup).

Reactions: Zenos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad