Speculation: Crosby to Colorado.... could it work out for all?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Couldn't see it happening without Crosby wanting it to happen. Can't see that either. Pens already have good nucleus just needs a little something else and they are right where they were a few years ago as a serious contender. Dont see pens or Crosby wanting to mess with that.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Crosby is never leaving Pittsburgh IMO.

I don't see a situation where he wants out and IIRC he has a full NMC.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If he leaves Pittsburgh it will be two years too late and he won't be an impact player any more. Much like Eric Staal the last two seasons.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
In other words : click sellers sells clicks

This job looks so easy.
->Crosby was a Habs fan.
->Crosby to Habs E4.
Makes a lot of sense.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Crosby is never leaving Pittsburgh IMO.

I don't see a situation where he wants out and IIRC he has a full NMC.

Depends if the new owners want a full rebuild. Both Malkin and the kid are nearing 35. Sid is signed for 3 more years and Malkin is a UFA after this year.

Not saying the Pens should trade either, but looking at the big picture and seeing their prospect depth? Pens had a good run

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Pittsburgh can still win the Stanley Cup this year.

They were first in the most competitive division in the league last year. Yeah they lost to NYI in playoffs - but their goalie completely sucked. No disrespect to NYI - maybe they win anyways - but without their goalie completely sucking, maybe they go farther in the playoffs.

Crosby/Malkin can still win them a cup. Is it very likely? Well no, but it's still possible. Wait it out 2-3 more years, see if you can win another cup, and eventually rebuild when they retire. Anything else is silly.
LOL Pittsburgh cannot win the Stanley cup this year, next year or any year with this core . Its not a knock on sid but everything flames out. I said when hextall and Burke took over this was solely about $$$$ and wow it certainly is with now with the sale and new ownership. A year ago it would be unfathomable to think Sod would leave however with this ownership change this could push the issue more than ever.
As far as a trade goes, Colorado makes sense as does Florida.
Both teams would pay a ransom to have the most accomplished NHL player playing now helping them.

Reactions: branch

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
But what is Crosby going to be at the end of his current deal? I'm not saying he'll be cooked, but he'll be pushing 40.
We already have Landy signed through his twilight years. Yes, he's Crosby and win now and sort it out later...all of that good stuff.
He IS the Penguins. Him and Mario....Malkin and Jagr. I don't see Sid giving up on the team or city.
Like others have said, he MAY ask out at some point, but he's pushing to regain form right now and playing to the standard he holds for himself. He's going to bet on himself right now. I'd think.

Who wouldn't want Crosby? He could teach Mack not to pout as much/lead by example, maybe. Seems great on paper.
Maybe next year.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Remember how close that team was to being relocated? Then Crosby came and changed all that. He's not going anywhere but it is always fun to speculate.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Mentioned this in another thread...if the goal is to "keep butts in seats" in Pittsburgh, you would have to get a fairly huge overpayment for Crosby. Nothing would get butts out of seats faster than new ownership sending the most popular player of the past 20 years away for a bunch of picks and prospects, even if it's for defensible reasons.

Reactions: BillPrep

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
But, I don’t know, just spitballing here, maybe that’s doable if, say, new Pens GM Ron Hextall and team president Brian Burke took Kadri and his $4.5 million in return, and maybe an Erik Johnson and/or a Ryan Graves? Maybe J.T. Compher to the Pens, along with EJ and/or Graves and a first? I might do that.

(Nazem Kadri or JT Compher) + (Erik Johnson or Ryan Graves) + late first.

Don't see why the Pens would want that if it's a rebuilding move. Needs more prospects and picks.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
With the recent bush-league *WWE Judo throw of Caps Dman Fehervary & no ensuing suspension for the media darling, Uncle Gary's golden child, Crysby once again staves off justice. On that note..

As a Red Wing fan 1st & foremost + NYI (childhood team) + TB (Fla. resident) + LA fan...

2 cases of Schadenfreude:

1. I'd rather watch the current & future inevitable demise of the Pittbyrds while limiting Crysby's cup count to 3 (counting the stolen '09 Cup, thanks Gary/Refs). A slow descent into the abyss would be fun for 31 teams' fanbases. Especially if Malkin/Letang bolt for more $/term, or Geno heads to KHL.

2. However, watching the Avs pay a hefty ransome of (Newhook/Byram ++) for a yuge win now piece while depleting their cup window roster (present & future) also sounds appealing.
All this while simultaneously giving the snowpigeons false hope as the wild card spots melt in their hands like freshly fallen snowflakes & further pushing them into the No Man's Land of Mediocrity with it's associated 10-15 OA pick.

Win-win-win.

(guess I'd go with option #2)

Lastly, there's no guarantee the Avs win, nor that Crysby will return to form, but it's a solid bet & one I'd take as a GM. With the loss of depth (Donskoi, Saad, Graves, Nemeth, Soderberg, Grubauer etc.) in the offseason, I see a another 1st/2nd rd. exit even with Syd...STL/VGK/WPG/DAL/EDM/CGY are all pretty solid too.

* for Reference: No penalty, and no discipline for Crosby after tossing rookie Martin Fehervary into boards.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
With the recent bush-league *WWE Judo throw of Caps Dman Fehervary & no ensuing suspension for the media darling, Uncle Gary's golden child, Crysby once again staves off justice. On that note..

As a Red Wing fan 1st & foremost + NYI (childhood team) + TB (Fla. resident) + LA fan...

2 cases of Schadenfreude:

1. I'd rather watch the current & future inevitable demise of the Pittbyrds while limiting Crysby's cup count to 3 (counting the stolen '09 Cup, thanks Gary/Refs). A slow descent into the abyss would be fun for 31 teams' fanbases. Especially if Malkin/Letang bolt for more $/term, or Geno heads to KHL.

2. However, watching the Avs pay a hefty ransome of (Newhook/Byram ++) for a yuge win now piece while depleting their cup window roster (present & future) also sounds appealing.
All this while simultaneously giving the snowpigeons false hope as the wild card spots melt in their hands like freshly fallen snowflakes & further pushing them into the No Man's Land of Mediocrity with it's associated 10-15 OA pick.

Win-win-win.

(guess I'd go with option #2)

Lastly, there's no guarantee the Avs win, nor that Crysby will return to form, but it's a solid bet & one I'd take as a GM. With the loss of depth (Donskoi, Saad, Graves, Nemeth, Soderberg, Grubauer etc.) in the offseason, I see a another 1st/2nd rd. exit even with Syd...STL/VGK/WPG/DAL/EDM/CGY are all pretty solid too.

* for Reference: No penalty, and no discipline for Crosby after tossing rookie Martin Fehervary into boards.

View attachment 481340
Haha, great post, I can relate. Maybe there are other, more noble hockey fans, who are above Schadenfreude - but I am not one of them :cool:

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I think he stays a career Pen. Legacy is a big thing for him he won't tarnish that just to try and win another Cup on someone else team.

He's gonna stick it out and if he's blessed to win one more as a Pen, it'll happen, if not he's more than happy with the 3 he already has.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
In other words : click sellers sells clicks

This job looks so easy.
->Crosby was a Habs fan.
->Crosby to Habs E4.
Makes a lot of sense.

I think we would have made this trade with the Habs if you still had Noah Juulsen to trade back............now..........HARD NO

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
(Nazem Kadri or JT Compher) + (Erik Johnson or Ryan Graves) + late first.

Don't see why the Pens would want that if it's a rebuilding move. Needs more prospects and picks.

As long as it's Graves and the 2022 1st in the trade, I think it's a pretty clear win for the Avs. Not sure that the Devils and Coyotes will see it quite the same way...

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
At this point, Sid should just finish his career out as a Pen. Simply put, I honestly don’t think it would be worth what any team would need to give up to get Crosby.

As far as the Avs, it’s not smart for a team that’s mainly comprised of guys in their early 20’s to give up their future for a guy who’s in the twilight of his career (albeit a generational player like Crosby).

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Lol that Penguins fans seriously think nuking the team that has given them 3 cups will somehow result in them being competitive in the near future.

If you trade Crosby and company, this team is going to suck until at least 2028. The Penguins got INSANELY lucky that they sucked when they did in the early 2000s. They're not getting Fleury, Crosby, Letang, Malkin and Staal out of 4 drafts like they did from 2003-2006.
It'll be back to reality for the Pens eventually...this just hedges against the severity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad