Speculation: Crosby to Colorado.... could it work out for all?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol that Penguins fans seriously think nuking the team that has given them 3 cups will somehow result in them being competitive in the near future.

If you trade Crosby and company, this team is going to suck until at least 2028. The Penguins got INSANELY lucky that they sucked when they did in the early 2000s. They're not getting Fleury, Crosby, Letang, Malkin and Staal out of 4 drafts like they did from 2003-2006.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Lol that Penguins fans seriously think nuking the team that has given them 3 cups will somehow result in them being competitive in the near future.

If you trade Crosby and company, this team is going to suck until at least 2028. The Penguins got INSANELY lucky that they sucked when they did in the early 2000s. They're not getting Fleury, Crosby, Letang, Malkin and Staal out of 4 drafts like they did from 2003-2006.
On the other side , a rebuild or a retool is inevitable in Pittsburgh , atleast the Crosby era was a golden era in Pittsburgh

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

It might not be about winning championships this time around. If the Pens are worried about putting butts in the seats between now and the end of Crosby's career, a mildly competitive team will be a much more enticing product than a ticket to his swan song.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
There's no way Burke tells Hextal to blow it up unless the new owners tell him to.
Sid's a Penguin for life. Like Getzlaf. They could turn it around anyway.

Reactions: BHD

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Here's the thing about it though.

Crosby is never getting traded from Pittsburgh unless he goes Pens management and tells them he wants to be traded. Otherwise he is absolutely unequivocally a lifer with Pittsburgh.

However, in the event that he does go to Pens management and suggests he would be open to a trade... At this point I would also say its fair to say that its pretty likely Colorado is the only team he would want to go play for(Assuming Mackinnon is still with Colorado at least). This would be one of those extremely rare examples in sports(At least in hockey, maybe not so rare in the NBA) where two superstar players really are close enough friends that playing together and trying to win a cup together really would be something they want to do and want to make happen.

But here's the thing about it. The Avs aren't going to pay a ridiculous amount of assets to get Sid if its clear the only place Sid wants to be traded to is Colorado. Nevermind the fact that Sid is approaching 35 years old already and while he's still a great player, he's not quite the caliber of player he was 5 years ago, and the decline is only likely to continue. So I dont think the Avs would pay up the assets Pittsburgh would want/think they would get for trading Sid. That's really not Joe Sakic's way.

I dont think we would pay anymore then a 1st + Good Prospect and then some roster forward the bridge the gap in salary cap.

It's a nice idea to think about, but I dont foresee it ever happening. I think Sid will be happy to retire with the Penguins and I think the Avs would be happy to target a Top 6 Center that much better fits the age of this teams core rather then getting a guy on his last legs for that role, even one as good as Crosby.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Pittsburgh can still win the Stanley Cup this year.

They were first in the most competitive division in the league last year. Yeah they lost to NYI in playoffs - but their goalie completely sucked. No disrespect to NYI - maybe they win anyways - but without their goalie completely sucking, maybe they go farther in the playoffs.

Crosby/Malkin can still win them a cup. Is it very likely? Well no, but it's still possible. Wait it out 2-3 more years, see if you can win another cup, and eventually rebuild when they retire. Anything else is silly.

Reactions: YP44

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Pittsburgh can still win the Stanley Cup this year.

They were first in the most competitive division in the league last year. Yeah they lost to NYI in playoffs - but their goalie completely sucked. No disrespect to NYI - maybe they win anyways - but without their goalie completely sucking, maybe they go farther in the playoffs.

Crosby/Malkin can still win them a cup. Is it very likely? Well no, but it's still possible. Wait it out 2-3 more years, see if you can win another cup, and eventually rebuild when they retire. Anything else is silly.

Not with the current roster...... they have 0.0% winning anything this season

Reactions: Mick Jagr

howboutahug

Mar 20, 2018
Rocky Mountains
Here's the thing about it though.

Crosby is never getting traded from Pittsburgh unless he goes Pens management and tells them he wants to be traded. Otherwise he is absolutely unequivocally a lifer with Pittsburgh.

However, in the event that he does go to Pens management and suggests he would be open to a trade... At this point I would also say its fair to say that its pretty likely Colorado is the only team he would want to go play for(Assuming Mackinnon is still with Colorado at least). This would be one of those extremely rare examples in sports(At least in hockey, maybe not so rare in the NBA) where two superstar players really are close enough friends that playing together and trying to win a cup together really would be something they want to do and want to make happen.

But here's the thing about it. The Avs aren't going to pay a ridiculous amount of assets to get Sid if its clear the only place Sid wants to be traded to is Colorado. Nevermind the fact that Sid is approaching 35 years old already and while he's still a great player, he's not quite the caliber of player he was 5 years ago, and the decline is only likely to continue. So I dont think the Avs would pay up the assets Pittsburgh would want/think they would get for trading Sid. That's really not Joe Sakic's way.

I dont think we would pay anymore then a 1st + Good Prospect and then some roster forward the bridge the gap in salary cap.

It's a nice idea to think about, but I dont foresee it ever happening. I think Sid will be happy to retire with the Penguins and I think the Avs would be happy to target a Top 6 Center that much better fits the age of this teams core rather then getting a guy on his last legs for that role, even one as good as Crosby.
Perfectly stated.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Maybe with an actual proven playoff player the Ava can stop being the leafs of the west.

Reactions: BlueOil

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
i said 2 seasons ago to start the pitt rebuild . and i guarantee if ownership asked sid for sake of franchise to agree sid would . and sid going to avs right now makes them instant faves to meet tbay in the finals . pitt should go all out rebuild /sell off yesterday . too many hard miles on the big 3 for them to lead the team to another cup . but the 3 old vets would be great additions to contenders with young horses

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think the deal would likely be Newhook + 1st at best if Sid was moved.

I proposed that with Maltsev added cause I like him. That's what would make the most sense, abet that is already fairly little.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad