Crazy weather thread

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
We're still dealing with shit air quality here in WNY. This isn't normal at all. I can't recall ever having to deal with this as a kid back in the late 90s-early 2000s, and many family members I've talked to (all ranging in different political beliefs) have said similar.

Hopefully, this is just an off year, but this bad air quality has been ramping up of the past couple of years. Freaky stuff, man!

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Except that Vermont had major flooding 12 years ago when my daughter was there. She stayed on after her job ended to help her employer recover from the nearby creek that came in through the basement window. Twelve years is a lot less than 1000 years. Must be twice a millennium?
From the article

Once-in-a-millennium rainfall​

Rainfall in West Point, New York, totaled more than 7.5 inches in six hours Sunday afternoon, according to preliminary data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. That’s a 1-in-1,000 year rainfall event for the area, according to a CNN analysis of NOAA’s historical rainfall frequency data.

A once-in-a-millennium rainfall event is one that is so intense, the chances of it happening in any given year is just 0.1%.

Numerous rivers across Vermont have been rising as a result of the heavy rainfall, with some rising more than they have since Hurricane Irene in 2011. The rainfall could push isolated storm totals towards 12 inches when combined with rainfall from the weekend, according to the weather service.

The Winooski River at Montpelier swelled above major flood stage Monday and continues to rise quickly. The river has risen nearly 14 feet since early Monday morning and is now expected to crest overnight at 22.7 feet.

“Downtown Montpelier will be inundated, and local roads will be covered by water. Route 2 and railroad tracks along the river will be covered with water,” the National Weather Service said, noting this flood stage would be equivalent to a “1 percent annual chance flood,” or 100-year flood.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Insane heat around the world right now but this is really crazy

The Persian Gulf International Airport weather station in southern Iran registered a heat index value — the apparent “feels like” temperature to the human body — of 152 degrees Fahrenheit (about 67 degrees Celsius) on Sunday.

The recorded temperature on Sunday around 12:30 p.m. local time was 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius).

Heat indexes of 160 degrees Fahrenheit are widely considered the upper threshold of what humans can endure for any more than a few hours. As heat index values climb to these thresholds, the human body feels strain and can lose its ability to cool itself down.

As of 10 a.m. ET Tuesday (5:30 p.m. local time), the recorded heat index was 130 degrees Fahrenheit (47 degrees Celsius). Earlier Tuesday, the heat index reached 146 degrees Fahrenheit (63 degrees Celsius).

• Wow
Reactions: adsfan and Seedtype

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
From the article

Once-in-a-millennium rainfall​

Rainfall in West Point, New York, totaled more than 7.5 inches in six hours Sunday afternoon, according to preliminary data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. That’s a 1-in-1,000 year rainfall event for the area, according to a CNN analysis of NOAA’s historical rainfall frequency data.

A once-in-a-millennium rainfall event is one that is so intense, the chances of it happening in any given year is just 0.1%.

Numerous rivers across Vermont have been rising as a result of the heavy rainfall, with some rising more than they have since Hurricane Irene in 2011. The rainfall could push isolated storm totals towards 12 inches when combined with rainfall from the weekend, according to the weather service.

The Winooski River at Montpelier swelled above major flood stage Monday and continues to rise quickly. The river has risen nearly 14 feet since early Monday morning and is now expected to crest overnight at 22.7 feet.

“Downtown Montpelier will be inundated, and local roads will be covered by water. Route 2 and railroad tracks along the river will be covered with water,” the National Weather Service said, noting this flood stage would be equivalent to a “1 percent annual chance flood,” or 100-year flood.

The creek that I mentioned previously, probably came up 10 feet, plus another 3 or 4 just to get to the bottom of the basement window. On a sunny day, you could jump over it without being Carl Lewis.

It was the rain after Hurricane Irene hit Boston in 2011. That is not a common event. I believe that it also happened in 1938 and in 1954, when Carol knocked down the steeple at the Old North Church of Paul Revere fame.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Insane heat around the world right now but this is really crazy

The Persian Gulf International Airport weather station in southern Iran registered a heat index value — the apparent “feels like” temperature to the human body — of 152 degrees Fahrenheit (about 67 degrees Celsius) on Sunday.

The recorded temperature on Sunday around 12:30 p.m. local time was 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius).

Heat indexes of 160 degrees Fahrenheit are widely considered the upper threshold of what humans can endure for any more than a few hours. As heat index values climb to these thresholds, the human body feels strain and can lose its ability to cool itself down.

As of 10 a.m. ET Tuesday (5:30 p.m. local time), the recorded heat index was 130 degrees Fahrenheit (47 degrees Celsius). Earlier Tuesday, the heat index reached 146 degrees Fahrenheit (63 degrees Celsius).

I can't even imagine that! I was in Tucson when it was 111 F, and I drove my family to Mt. Lemon, where it was a cool 90 F. That 111 felt like sticking your head in an oven when you are baking cookies. It hurt to be in the sun. It felt like sunburn on exposed skin after 10 seconds. The UV must have been an eleven.

I heard Jim Gaffigan say on the radio this morning that "you can HEAR the sun!".

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I can't even imagine that! I was in Tucson when it was 111 F, and I drove my family to Mt. Lemon, where it was a cool 90 F. That 111 felt like sticking your head in an oven when you are baking cookies. It hurt to be in the sun. It felt like sunburn on exposed skin after 10 seconds. The UV must have been an eleven.

I heard Jim Gaffigan say on the radio this morning that "you can HEAR the sun!".
If you have practical experience sticking your head in an oven when baking cookies, you need a new diet plan.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

A look at the damage in Yosemite Park in the high country that needed to be repaired/cleared after the winter storms before the Tioga Pass could be reopened.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
If you have practical experience sticking your head in an oven when baking cookies, you need a new diet plan.
I wanted to make sure that they were done and not burned. Our old oven had hot and cold spots. I measured the temperature at 350 F at 9 locations with a thermocouple from work and found 9 different temperatures. When we bought a new oven, I became a very good baker using all of the same times and temperatures.
Before, some cookies might be undercooked and some burned on the bottom. I noticed that the left side tended to undercook and the right side to burn. It was a 10 or 12 degree difference. I tried cleaning the burners, but that did not help.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
You could have saved the expense of a new oven, and just rotated the cookie pans halfway through the bake time. Worked for my wife with our long-wonky oven at our old house. But for some reason, she would curse at me every time I hollered: "Time to rotate!" :madfire:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Sad at we are seeing it play out over the last few days with Atlantic ocean temps being 6-7 degrees warmer than usual of late and even set yet another record for warmth in 2022 off the coast of Canada.

In the Gulf of St. Lawrence, multiple records were set in 2022. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...ocean-temperatures-set-records-2022-1.6883144

Average sea surface temperatures in the gulf from May to November were the warmest since record-keeping began in 1981: 1.6 C above normal.

In August, surface temperatures again set 41-year records, averaging 18.2 C — which is 2.2 C above normal. In September, temperatures averaged 15.5 C, or 2.5 C above normal.

Galbraith called these variations "really huge."

September was also noteworthy because Hurricane Fiona churned up seas and lowered the surface temperatures by 6 C over a two-week period — yet those temperatures still reached new highs.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I just don't see how the southwest US is going to remain habitable at this rate.
It's a cooperative conspiracy between the Gila monsters & desert tortoises to take back their territory. Survival of the sneakiest. :naughty:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
you guys should just come north to Manitoba we are heading for an iceage.

According to Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC), weather stations throughout the province recorded cooler-than-normal temperatures last month.

"Winnipeg recorded its 15th coldest July on record with 151 years of data," said Sara Hoffman, a meteorologist with ECCC. "That is a significant statistic, that is a significant departure from normal, especially for the city of Winnipeg."

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
you guys should just come north to Manitoba we are heading for an iceage.

According to Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC), weather stations throughout the province recorded cooler-than-normal temperatures last month.

"Winnipeg recorded its 15th coldest July on record with 151 years of data," said Sara Hoffman, a meteorologist with ECCC. "That is a significant statistic, that is a significant departure from normal, especially for the city of Winnipeg."
That's crazy since July was the hottest month recorded, and the trend looks quite concerning when you see this graph:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad