Speculation: Craziest trades that almost happened

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The trade itself wasn't wild, but the repercussions would have been. Prior to the Kessel deal that happened Burke and Chiarelli thought they had a deal in place at the draft.
Burke thought it was Kaberle for Kessel and 25
Chiarelli thought it was Kessel for Kaberle and 7.

If Burke's trade goes through the Leafs add Kessel, keep their 1st's in 2010 and 2011 and add a 25th overall in 09.

The next decade fundamentally changes.

I am still astonished that Brian Burke could possibly have thought that Kaberle would fetch Kessel and a first round pick.

How could he possibly have thought that was a palatable trade?

I remember when this story broke finding it impossible to believe.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I am still astonished that Brian Burke could possibly have thought that Kaberle would fetch Kessel and a first round pick.

How could he possibly have thought that was a palatable trade?

I remember when this story broke finding it impossible to believe.
Agreed, but Chiarelli believing that Kessel was worth 7th overall and two years of Kaberle with only one 30 goal/60 point season was equally astonishing.

I think both egos were stung when both realized how stupid they were being, so they were too proud to bridge the gap with a pick swap

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Agreed, but Chiarelli believing that Kessel was worth 7th overall and two years of Kaberle with only one 30 goal/60 point season was equally astonishing.

I think both egos were stung when both realized how stupid they were being, so they were too proud to bridge the gap with a pick swap

I think one of those scenarios is much, much, much more far fetched.

The deal Burke ultimately made for Kessel was steeper than a 7th overall and two years of Kaberle.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Lol

The only time I can remember ANY serious talk of Stevie Y getting traded was when the Gretz trade talk first happened. Other than that I can not find any. One of the oilet writers suggested it was stevie y and a first and no money

Yzerman to the Sens was a big thing for a while. It was around 95/96 when the Wings hadn't won a cup (even when they made the finals in 95, they were unceremoniously swept). The thinking was after over a decade of Yzerman it just wasn't working out and maybe the Red Wings needs to make major changes.

The Canadiens lost that trade but I wouldn't have it in my Top 100 Bad Trades of all time, let alone having it "up there."

Lol.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
I think one of those scenarios is much, much, much more far fetched.

The deal Burke ultimately made for Kassel was steeper than a 7th overall and two years of Kaberle.
Nah bro. kaberle was extremely underrated. So smooth, so reliable. If kabs had played his entire career under post 2004 rules he would be a borderline hof player. His point totals would of went up, esp since his prime was before the rule changes and a few years after. He was one of those p!where you don't appreciate on your team until he's gone. I would not have traded kaberle and 7 for kessel. Even just kaberle and the 7th each is hard to swallow. I would have done 7 for kessel straight up, especially since kessel had no contract and wanted out. But both? No, not in 2009. Your bias is showing hard

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Nah bro. kaberle was extremely underrated. So smooth, so reliable. If kabs had played his entire career under post 2004 rules he would be a borderline hof player. His point totals would of went up, esp since his prime was before the rule changes and a few years after. He was one of those p!where you don't appreciate on your team until he's gone. I would not have traded kaberle and 7 for kessel. Even just kaberle and the 7th each is hard to swallow. I would have done 7 for kessel straight up, especially since kessel had no contract and wanted out. But both? No, not in 2009. Your bias is showing hard

Yeah, you figured it out. I have a bias for the Boston Bruins the team I hate more than any other team in the history of sports.

You sure are clever.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Winnipeg traded Teemu Selanne to Anaheim for Chad Kilger and Oleg Tverdosky. Am I doing this right??

I remember the day that trade was made, they were discussing it on TSN, and I can't remember who the analyst was, but one of them said... "Would you trade Mark Messier and Paul Coffey for Teemu Selanne? Cause that might be what Anaheim just did."

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Sens fan and I was living in Calgary at the time that "Alfredsson for Craig Conroy" was a real rumor floating around out there.

And I've never been more disgusted tbh. Still as horrible an idea today as it was back in the mid 00's.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
1722927016113.png

Somebody uploaded the 1990 Draft onto YouTube. During the broadcast, Bob McKenzie mentioned that there was a Wendel Clark for Shayne Corson and Claude Lemieux deal that had been close.

Lemieux would be traded a couple months later to New Jersey as he wanted out of Montreal for awhile due to personal reasons. I didn't get into hockey until 1993, so that was an interesting one to hear 30+ years later.

Edit: Apologies for the necro bump, I thought this was a thread on the History board.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I thought the rumors about Nash offering #15 and 24 OA picks and Askarov for #5 (Reinbacher) at the 2023 draft were pretty crazy. It is not clear to me how close this was to happening.

Oddly, when i heard the rumor it was both of Nashville's' first rounders, but the confirmation i saw at the 2024 draft special was only for one of them and Askarov.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Rumour of
Yzerman for Yashin at one time,
Sens ended up with Spezza and Chara, when Yashin was traded.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Yzerman was never rumoured or close to going anywhere, but perhaps Ottawa for Yashin.

All because Kevin Lowe wanted Comrie's bonus back or something like that. What a dumb reason not to run with this offer.
There were rumours in the early 90s of him and/or Brett Hull going to Montreal. I can't remember what the return was going to be, but it was being reported in the papers.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I have never heard that one before. Are you sure it is not one of those trade this board created
I can't remember which podcast it was, but it was mentioned that Buffalo offered Thompson to a team for a 5th and the team obviously didn't do it and then Thompson broke out the next year I believe.

32 thoughts. There's a reddit post on the Sabres subreddit about it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yzerman to the Sens was a big thing for a while. It was around 95/96 when the Wings hadn't won a cup (even when they made the finals in 95, they were unceremoniously swept). The thinking was after over a decade of Yzerman it just wasn't working out and maybe the Red Wings needs to make major changes.

Lol.
It was after the 94 loss to the Sharks entering the 95 season so before they went to the finals. It is also when Ken Holland by and large ascended in the three headed GM position to the top because Ilitch killed the deal and was angry with Devellano and Bowman for attempting it. They have spent a lot of time running from this since but it was pretty well known around town. Yzerman even gave a presser where he admonished Bowman for not behaving like an adult.

Devellano loved Primeau and wanted to build around him and Fedorov.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad