Speculation: Craziest trades that almost happened

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I've been a Red Sox fan since 1975 and this is the first I ever heard that rumor. I was about to reply that you were nuts and didn't know what the heck you were talking about but then I started looking around and discovered that it did actually almost happen. Sorry I doubted you. :ha:
same

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Rangers almost landed Zigmund Palffy before he went to the Kings.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Some old flyers one all involved Hextall.

hextall for yzerman
hextall for rob blake
hextall for larmer and jimmy waite

#99 to the fyers.

Yzerman was never rumoured or close to going anywhere, but perhaps Ottawa for Yashin.

Not sure if mentioned but the Ducks almost traded Corey Perry and a First to the Oil for Mike Comrie.

All because Kevin Lowe wanted Comrie's bonus back or something like that. What a dumb reason not to run with this offer.

Reactions: KelVarnsen

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
How about Malkin trade rumours, how serious were they? I heard lot of rumours about dealing him to Weber at some point

I think there was also lot of Kane rumours before 2013 cup

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Len Barrie thought Stamkos was a bust and wanted to trade him to the Rangers his rookie year. The other owner Oren Koules intervened, thank god, before they were run out of town.

His sophomore season he had 51 goals and 95 points and went on to score 100+ more goals over the next two years

Reactions: AirGut

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
The oilers were interested in trading for Lafluers during his final season with the Habs and also Gilbert Perrault to see if magic can be recreated

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
It was reported by Friedman in 32 thoughts that Maloney offered 3rd overall (Strome) to Boston for Dougie Hamilton in 2015, and the deal was in place, but ended up backing out of it because he wanted a big center instead due to the size of the ones in our division.

More recently there's been a lot of speculation that there was a deal in place for Chychrun that had Brandt Clarke coming back from LA, but that the deal fell through because we wouldn't take on Petersen's contract without an add. That one is just hearsay, but there were a few writers who thought Chychrun to LA was a done deal and that we were getting a top prospect and a pick back.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Yzerman was never rumoured or close to going anywhere, but perhaps Ottawa for Yashin.

All because Kevin Lowe wanted Comrie's bonus back or something like that. What a dumb reason not to run with this offer.
well your wrong. this was well before the wings starte ghaving success

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I remember discussing Ovie to Nashville for like 5 or 6 players, prospects and/or picks. This was before the Erat for Forsberg deal.

I think some of the pieces were Legwand, Erat, Timonen or Zidlicky, not sure if there was one of the top d prospects involved or not and then there was something like a 1st or two thrown in.

Most Nashville fans were opposed due to the amount of players going the other way. It would’ve definitely changed the course for both franchises.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY

Seeing that blip now, but the 25 year bit might just be a round number. That seems to be in the context of the 2001 trade deadline when Blake was an impending UFA. Interesting to say the least since the Pens couldn't afford to keep Jagr after that year. Maybe they were just trying to go all-in while they still had Jagr?

Devils apparently kicked the tires on Blake as well, but the rumored offer was futures (Ari Ahonen, David Hale, 2001 1st) and the Kings were still in the playoff hunt.
Wow, never knew about this. And that 2001 Penguins team went all the way to the ECF, though it would have been hard to beat NJ even with Blake.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Back before the 06 draft there was some serious heat around the Canes trading the rights of Jack Johnson to Pittsburgh for the #2 overall pick which would have been used on Jordan Staal. Just before the draft the Pens asked for Carolina to include Andrew Ladd, who had just been drafted at #4 a couple years prior and was part of the Canes cup team, and wasn't willing to budge on including a top prospect of their own to close the deal.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
At some point there were serious rumours that Ottawa was going to trade Daniel Alfredsson for Craig Conroy.

Reactions: DekeyPete

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I remember discussing Ovie to Nashville for like 5 or 6 players, prospects and/or picks. This was before the Erat for Forsberg deal.

I think some of the pieces were Legwand, Erat, Timonen or Zidlicky, not sure if there was one of the top d prospects involved or not and then there was something like a 1st or two thrown in.

Most Nashville fans were opposed due to the amount of players going the other way. It would’ve definitely changed the course for both franchises.
This thread isnt about user proposals

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Craziest trade that was, Kessel for Seguin + Hamilton + 2nd
Would have been an option here if the trade was actually those players (Knight was the 2nd). However, the trade was actually Kessel for 2 firsts and a 2nd. Picks just ended up being those players. Hindsight is always 20/20, so saying it was for those 2 players and not naming Knight because he was a bust is being disingenuous.

The Bruins gave up 2 firsts (Colbourne, Percy) and a 2nd (Finn?) to Toronto for Kaberle at the TDL a couple of seasons later. Fortunately for Boston, Toronto missed on the picks and saved Boston being a victim of hindsight.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Would have been an option here if the trade was actually those players (Knight was the 2nd). However, the trade was actually Kessel for 2 firsts and a 2nd. Picks just ended up being those players. Hindsight is always 20/20, so saying it was for those 2 players and not naming Knight because he was a bust is being disingenuous.

The Bruins gave up 2 firsts (Colbourne, Percy) and a 2nd (Finn?) to Toronto for Kaberle at the TDL a couple of seasons later. Fortunately for Boston, Toronto missed on the picks and saved Boston being a victim of hindsight.
Difference was the team was bad having finished 7th OA in back to back years. And were destined to be the same or worse. Charelli publicly said they chose TOR instead of NSH because they knew the picks would be high. Burke even asked his scouts if they rather have Hall/Seguin or Kessel. Everyone and their mother knew it was a crazy trade at the time. When the Leafs traded Kaberle it was at the TDL and Colborne at the time was considered a B prospect with not much upside. The pick thry got was always going to be a late 1st, which does not hold the same value as two likely top 10 picks. So if anyone is being disingenuous it's you.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
LaFontaine for Yzerman almost happened in the early 90s. Detroit coveted LaFontaine since juniors. If that trade happens Sabres win the cup in 99 and possibly even 98 or another year. Hasek+Yzerman would have been incredible. Hasek alone nearly carried the Sabres to a cup, add a bonafide superstar center and they would have.
It was always speculated on by fans and radio hosts but I’m not sure it was ever actually discussed by the teams. Maybe though.

Before the 97’ Cup, there was actually a large percentage of Detroit fans who truly believed the Wings would NEVER win with Yzerman leading the team. Media members too. I remember them always bringing up Lafontaine, suggesting he would want to win for Detroit more than Yzerman. I’ve never heard it actually made it to managers discussing it though. Those people are obviously hard to find these days but they were very vocal back in the day.

The Ottawa one however, was very real and almost happened. Yzerman for Martin Straka and some other pieces and draft picks but Straka was the main name at the time.. That one has been confirmed many times. To the extent someone had said they leaked it to see the reaction from fans. I remember it being out there as “imminent.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad