Confirmed with Link: Crawford as an Assistant/Associate Coach

The Professional

Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
Boucher is a very smart coach, but I was a little worried about his limited experience in the league as I thought this team needed proven experience behind the bench.

So hiring Crawford as assistant is a great move and negates the only doubts I had about Boucher. Even better if it is Boucher who requested Crawford himself. A Jack Adams and Stanley Cup winning head coach with 15 years of NHL experience... I'm happy about this. A Boucher-Crawford tandem should be good for this team and an improvement over what we have had in terms of coaching.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
I don't have faith at all in those coach choices. It reeks coaches who wants back to NHL and use Ottawa as a springboard. Which will result in actions made only to showcase themselves, to make an impression for the sake of themselves. They will use that team as puppets and not build something that lasts. They will then move on and leave a mess behind.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I don't have faith at all in those coach choices. It reeks coaches who wants back to NHL and use Ottawa as a springboard. Which will result in actions made only to showcase themselves, to make an impression for the sake of themselves. They will use that team as puppets and not build something that lasts. They will then move on and leave a mess behind.

They aren't GMs. They aren't the ones building the team. They are implementing strategy and cohesiveness.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Not a huge Crawford fan but he is a good coach. He's had the same haircut since 1998, and it's a really lame haircut.

Crawford and Burke in Vancouver was a toxic mix, they were obsessed with their players getting 'no respect' - Burke was always talking about the lose of the code and the Sedins never getting penalty calls.

Crawford went over the top of course but with Burkes blessing but it all started years before in the playoffs when the Sedins didn't get any calls versus Detroit.

With a calmer guy like Dorion and a Sens team that seems to take their lumps without complaint (Stone hit, Alfie hit) Crawford won't be all psyched up to impress his boss and protect the 'code'

Anyways, happy he is here but more happy he is not our HC. Solid staff so far. But it needs a former player

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
Yes I am aware, I mean mess in terms of players will be misused in sake of coaches doing their thing instead of build a plan based on what type of players Sens have. Like Dale Hunter a couple of years ago. He coached like he had a bunch of footsoldiers in his hand. I am afraid Boucher/Crawford will not take a look at what players they have in hand, they will just do their thing.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

The issue with your logic is Guy was the Leafs coach if Mike rejected the offer.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
Not a huge Crawford fan but he is a good coach. He's had the same haircut since 1998, and it's a really lame haircut.

Crawford and Burke in Vancouver was a toxic mix, they were obsessed with their players getting 'no respect' - Burke was always talking about the lose of the code and the Sedins never getting penalty calls.

Crawford went over the top of course but with Burkes blessing but it all started years before in the playoffs when the Sedins didn't get any calls versus Detroit.

With a calmer guy like Dorion and a Sens team that seems to take their lumps without complaint (Stone hit, Alfie hit) Crawford won't be all psyched up to impress his boss and protect the 'code'

Anyways, happy he is here but more happy he is not our HC. Solid staff so far. But it needs a former player

Perhaps Alfie?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
TBH ,Crawford would be the one looking to become a HC again .Boucher is an nhl HC now ,he will want to succeed and keep his job

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
Might be so, but since Ottawa is a small market team, any coach will look beyond the horizon.

I don't know....I was hoping for BB and am just disappointed. Boucher failed in Swiss-league and in Tampa he seemed just disinterested in creativity.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
TBH ,Crawford would be the one looking to become a HC again .Boucher is an nhl HC now ,he will want to succeed and keep his job

Exactly.

Crawford has to buy into Guy Boucher for his own sake.

If Boucher fails miserably - other GMs around the league are going to put that failure on Crawford as well.

It doesn't help Crawford to be confrontational to Boucher. It doesn't help him to teach his own systems to the group he is responsible for.

If Boucher succeeds - it's good for Crawford. Crawford has experience dealing with many more players than Boucher. Crawford can use that to help Boucher and help sell the team on Boucher's systems & ideas.

It's two guys looking to succeed. One wants to become a head coach again and you don't do that by feuding with your superior. Crawford knows that. He's not an idiot.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Might be so, but since Ottawa is a small market team, any coach will look beyond the horizon.

I don't know....I was hoping for BB and am just disappointed. Boucher failed in Swiss-league and in Tampa he seemed just disinterested in creativity.

Using your logic, Boudreau would have done the same no?

Don't think Boucher would "bolt" if he gained any sort of success here, quite the contrary. Same goes with Crawford.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I don't mind Crawford if he knows he's here to support Boucher with his lengthy NHL experience. If they can really work together harmoniously, it could be an ideal coaching situation for us, and makes me feel a little better about missing out on the golden goose.

Obviously since this was Boucher's first choice from his initial interview, you gotta feel pretty optimistic about them getting along, otherwise GB wouldn't have suggested Crawford in the first place.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting quote from Crawford

“I have always been at the forefront of analytics.

We utilize statistics for zone time, zone exits, zone entries, scoring chances, momentum swings and of coarse, shots,hits, giveaways, takeaways, and goals.

I have long been a proponent of using the info to develop your practices, to utilize your match ups and to aid in the development of your line combos and D pairings.

I am constantly looking for the edge and I do believe that interpreting the data is of more importance than collecting it.

Having said that, getting the data collected correctly is of the utmost importance and it proves challenging in a non-conventional hockey market.â€

I don't have the original source, but found it on the 6thsens,

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
Using your logic, Boudreau would have done the same no?

Don't think Boucher would "bolt" if he gained any sort of success here, quite the contrary. Same goes with Crawford.

You are right, I was just thinking BB could see Ottawa as a challenge, act more settled.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
To use stats for coaching seems, eh not right.

Honestly it sounds like he's just trying to appeal to people.

In the same way if you ask for a fake accreditation when you throw up a job posting - a lot of people will pretend they have that fake accreditation and list it on their resume. I don't think he's really lying but I doubt analytics plays as big a role in his thought process as he said in that quote.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad