TSN: Craig Button update draft list...We got some jumpers

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
If I had to guess, the dmen will go Levshunov, Silayev, Buium. But I could see Buium going before Silayev.

I'm trying to think like an NHL team. I am not a huge fan of what I've seen from Silayev, but it's only been in scouting reports/etc... so the negatives will be highlighted. But at the end of the day you can teach many things, you just can't teach someone to be 6'7" - and this is extremely valued by NHL teams.

I'm way more biased towards Levshunov and Buium but these guys are more visible being in the NCAA.

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
I like Button as a commentator but his lists are always conspiracy level bad
Yea.. the problem with all those guys trying to make a name for themselves, is they are trying too hard to find the odd player that should have been picked higher.

Its easy 5 years down the road to come brag about that one homerun you found, while not mentionning the other 20 names you dropped that ended up being irrelevant...

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
It's not bizarre when agents pay the talking heads to "rank" their players higher... i suspect Craigsy is getting a nice trip to Hawaii with his wife having Helenius at #3.

All optics..

You have any proof of that or you're just speculating? Not really fair to suggest someone is corrupt without any evidence to support it. If this was true, it would also be a major stain on TSN and Bell Media.

Analysts can be wrong without being corrupt.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
You have any proof of that or you're just speculating? Not really fair to suggest someone is corrupt without any evidence to support it. If this was true, it would also be a major stain on TSN and Bell Media.

I don't think it's true for a second. Because let's face it, being ranked X on the oh so important Button's list isn't going to change anything for anyone.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Greentree at 25 is a ranking I simply cannot understand. Despite how much I’d love a chance to grab him with our second pick.

Also, Artamononv outside of the top 64 is very surprising.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

I wouldn't call it corrupt as it really doesnt affect anyone (anyways), but these rankings are line with grey area tit-for-tat rankings.

Who knows, maybe the Habs gave Craigsy some more media access to drop Lindstrom down the wrung to scare off CLB.. brilliant strategy.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
I wouldn't call it corrupt as it really doesnt affect anyone (anyways), but these rankings are line with grey area tit-for-tat rankings.

Who knows, maybe the Habs gave Craigsy some more media access to drop Lindstrom down the wrung to scare off CLB.. brilliant strategy.
not a single team in the league is letting their opinion be swayed by Craig Button's list.

he's for the casual fan who thinks it's special that Craig used to be an actual NHL scout. nothing more.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
This needs to be repeated, from Button on X:

Clarification. I am not predicting the draft. Projecting who I feel will be the best NHL players in 4-5 years.

McKenzie surveys scouts.
Button gives his own list.

Of course Bob should be closer to reality.

I like his Helenius call.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
It's not bizarre when agents pay the talking heads to "rank" their players higher... i suspect Craigsy is getting a nice trip to Hawaii with his wife having Helenius at #3.

All optics..

There is not near enough money in the NHL for this to be the case.

My question is that if, say, Levshunov or Buium are available and Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom and Silayev are taken, are Levshunov or Buium not a better pick than Iginla?

74 others

Jul 3, 2015
Montreal
“I never considered another player at No. 1,” Button said. “No other player showed me that he was better than Shane Wright." I can't get this quote out of my head when I think of Button but it's an interesting list I guess.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

All optics..
Not that I expect anyone involved would be above it but I kind of doubt it because neither the player nor the agent will make more money if the player is drafted 3rd instead of 8th since everyone is limited by the ELC. On top of that it's very doubtful that paying a guy like Button to promote a player would have influence on where that player is picked. No team is looking at their list and thinking to themselves maybe we should move Helenius up higher because Button is very high on him.

Reactions: themilosh

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
“I never considered another player at No. 1,” Button said. “No other player showed me that he was better than Shane Wright." I can't get this quote out of my head when I think of Button but it's an interesting list I guess.

Exactly.

Button has a trash track record..

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

I have no issues. Some guys just don't translate well to going to the "major league". There are things that you can let slide in Junior and so forth. It needs a special breed to make it to the NHL and that's where Wright is failing at.

Also the thing with Slaf for example is that they picked him out of potential, he was definitely a project. So some guys like Button may have been right that Wright was the best player at that point in time but transfering these qualities and skills to the NHL is another matter. We see that Slaf has more of the tools for that. (also I'm betting Slaf's interview must have been pretty impressive). That is where foresight is important.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Exactly.

Button has a trash track record..
Does he though?

I looked up the earliest ones I could find ("20, "21), and those lists didn't seem all that bad compared to the actual draft order (not in terms of matching, but in terms of hits/misses compared to the NHL team choices).

Have you (or anyone slagging his track record) actually compared his lists to other draft lists ? I'm legit curious where he sits vis a vis his media peers as far as their respective lists matching up to NHL impact a few years later :dunno:

Looking at '16, '17 & '18, each of those drafts had 4 picks in the top 10 that either busted completely or are no more than depth players thus far.... Everyone wiffs on first rounders, media guys like button are easy targets because their predictions are public.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
not a single team in the league is letting their opinion be swayed by Craig Button's list.

he's for the casual fan who thinks it's special that Craig used to be an actual NHL scout. nothing more.
I agree, but fan bias (especially in MTL) is a powerful tool.. if not for a true builder like Hugo; with MB you know we'd have Wright & Michkov rn.. that's a great duo of leadership we mussed out on.. s

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
There is not near enough money in the NHL for this to be the case.

My question is that if, say, Levshunov or Buium are available and Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom and Silayev are taken, are Levshunov or Buium not a better pick than Iginla?
Personally i'd rank as Levshunov, Iginla, Buium.. but if those three are available (Parekh as well) id take the gamble to trade back with Calgary in exchange for Honzek and then take 1 of the above 4 whichever is left.
Id then use whatever asset necessary to target Sennecke with our WPG 1st +..

Coming out of this draft with say: Parekh( point producing high IQ pmd RH),
Honzek(6'4" Slovakian LW l, 15th oa in '23) ,
Sennecke (6'2" RW, gritty CDN, playoff performer)

would be glorious.

Last edited:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
His comparisons of KK to Kopitar were far more outrageous imho. The issue with Button is he's a media mouth. If he was like any poster on this forum, no one would ever criticize him.

Reactions: Tyson

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I pretty much always read Craig's lists for entertainment.

He does have his ideas, and I respect that, and he's more connected to the hockey world than any of us. Doesn't mean he's right, of course, nor are any other list makers and scouting agencies. They all have agendas, they all want to be right and hit the jackpot, that's how it works. Like many, the only one I await year-in year-out is Bob, and I will still have my doubts, cause in the end, only the actual teams and actual players have a tiny idea of how things will go, 'tiny' is important here.

Still an enjoyable read cause of the details he brings with his rankings. Craig doesn't seem to give a f*** about being spot-on draft wise, so I kinda respect him more than many cause of that.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Looking at '16, '17 & '18, each of those drafts had 4 picks in the top 10 that either busted completely or are no more than depth players thus far.... Everyone wiffs on first rounders, media guys like button are easy targets because their predictions are public.
If Button took a bust at #4, in the real draft that kid might have gone #10, but he will still bust. Teams do not make a single draft list with perfect accuracy and everyone take their pick in order.

And I think people put too much faith in draft ranks anyway. Post-draft development and the kid attitude have a big impact on what you get in the end.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Not that I expect anyone involved would be above it but I kind of doubt it because neither the player nor the agent will make more money if the player is drafted 3rd instead of 8th since everyone is limited by the ELC. On top of that it's very doubtful that paying a guy like Button to promote a player would have influence on where that player is picked. No team is looking at their list and thinking to themselves maybe we should move Helenius up higher because Button is very high on him.
Its like saying politicians do not listen/read commentators/journalists opinions. Or restaurant owners do not read reviews.

I could see teams looking at his list and go: lets have another discussion on Helenius, maybe we miss something if we have him (lets say) at 20.

Its different from a list posted here by an unknown…

• Haha
Reactions: Sorinth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad