TSN: Craig Button update draft list...We got some jumpers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
What about Demidov?

Hard to say unless we know the trade packages being offered.

We received some pretty serious offer for Reinbacher last year at 5, and Lev is regarded higher than Reinbacher if I’m not mistaken.

If Levshunov is available at 5 on top of one of Buium/Dickinson/Silayev as well...

There’s some many teams needy for a D, and especially a potential top pairing RHD that I could see one of them offer a great package to secure him.
The ultimate example of good asset management.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I’ve actually defended Button here, couple of times. Ugh to the 11th power.

Ummm, where’s my egg-scraper?

His latest list, even with the apparent ‘even-ness’ of a dozen or so players, looks bizarre to me.
He lost me when he called Fucale the ‘perfect goalie prospect’ and the best goalie prospect since Price. He has a penchant for taking these obtuse/strident positions that are invariably wrong.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I’ve actually defended Button here, couple of times. Ugh to the 11th power.

Ummm, where’s my egg-scraper?

His latest list, even with the apparent ‘even-ness’ of a dozen or so players, looks bizarre to me.
It's not bizarre when agents pay the talking heads to "rank" their players higher... i suspect Craigsy is getting a nice trip to Hawaii with his wife having Helenius at #3.

All optics..

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It’s out there lol. He’s got three guys in the top 5 that the majority of other lists don’t have in the top 10.

There is going to be some shockers in this draft bud. Maybe not to Button's guesses but there are going to be a lot of surprises. Trust Bob, he said he has not seen this amount of varying opinions from 2-10+ in 35 years.

I am a bit worried that Tij Iginla might get taken 2-4 range. If both Tij and Demidov are taken 2-4, my decision is difficult. I would trade down to 8-10 in this case and gain another 1st.

Reactions: themilosh

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's not bizarre when agents pay the talking heads to "rank" their players higher... i suspect Craigsy is getting a nice trip to Hawaii with his wife having Helenius at #3.

All optics..

I don't know about you but I see a fair amount of movement every draft year (Sept to mid to April+). Die hard fans dig into these players a lot and we are not scouts. Most of us have not watched more than 5-10 games from all the guys in this top 13. Then add the layer of movement when we do redrafts in a few years.

Helenius is a true type center. He's going to get attention. Probably not going top 5 but it would not shock me. Not in this draft at 2+. I have not watched much WC's but maybe Button likes what he is seeing from Helenius?

What's happening with Button and other list is they are trying to play the guessing game. I'd be curious to compare Button's list to redrafts in 3-5 years. Because that's the true evaluation.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Demidov and Iggy are my prime targets. I'll be deflated if one of they are not on the board when we pick.

I think the Hawks are taking Demdiov. Demidov and Bedard put fans in the seats while they add around them in the next 3-5 years.

I can see the Ducks targeting a D.

Blue Jackets need centers but they need help everywhere. Would they take Tij? I don't believe so. I think they are going to take a D but would they take Helenius?

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Demidov and Iggy are my prime targets. I'll be deflated if one of they are not on the board when we pick.

I think the Hawks are taking Demdiov. Demidov and Bedard put fans in the seats while they add around them in the next 3-5 years.

I can see the Ducks targeting a D.

Blue Jackets need centers but they need help everywhere. Would they take Tij? I don't believe so. I think they are going to take a D but would they take Helenius?
We all have our favourites. But rest easy knowing that who ever we pick at 5 OA in this deep draft will be an impactful player. What Hughes ultimately turns 26 OA into is only gravy.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The chances of Levshunov falling to the Habs are the same chances Celebrini does.

The question is the other 2 players who go ahead of the Habs, for our sakes we hope it's Dickinson and Silayev.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
A RD that produces that much in the NCAA won’t last the first four picks, that would be shocking. Too big too skilled to pass up, NHL scouts dream of those guys. He’s raw but he’s got the skills.

That's why I'm saying if he's there at 5 you absolutely have to take him.

I don't get the idea of trading the pick in this scenario. Why? So you can get a few guys who might be as good as Levshunov but likely never will be?

If Levshunov is somehow still there, and he won't be, you take him regardless of needs because he will be a franchise dman for many years like Hedman has been for Tampa. Franchise defining move.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

All optics..
Is #3 the name of a motel and why would an eighteen-year-old want to have a sixty-year-old+ woman?

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Helenius gives me Kotkaniemi vibes,,,,please steer clear lol

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Button has an interesting history. He was a decent scout back in his Dallas days. They drafted Iginla at 11 while he was their director of scouting. some other decent picks (harvey, Langenbruner, Turco, Morrow) and like everyone some misses too.

His record as GM of the Flames is brutal. He traded away JS Giguere for a 2nd round pick, choosing to protect Fred Braithwaite instead in expansion draft. He Put Marty St Louis on waivers, Traded Marc Savard for a player who never played an NHL game. Traded Rob Neidermayer to ducks for Mike Commodore.

He gave Anaheim 2 key pieces (Giguere and Neidermayer ) for their cup win. waived a future Hart winner in MSL and Savard was a great player too. maybe he did not like French guys

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This is just his list which is about as good as any other list you'll find here, as in its not like Bob's list where actual NHL scouts are being polled

But how much research and viewing is it based on?

How good is he at projecting 17 and 18 year olds as NHLers?

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Out of curiosity I wanted to see what our 1st round picks would have looked like going by Craig's list.

2023- Michkov - too early, and no point shitting another thread up with it
2022- Wright, Kulich - early, with one looking worse and the other looking better
2021- Tuomaala - a bit early but looking worse
2020- Lapierre - a bit early but looking worse
2019- Caufield - same
2018- Zadina - wash
2017- Poehling - same
2016- Brown - wayyyyyy worse
2015- Bittner - a bit worse
2014- Kempe - wayyyyy better
2013- Fucale - a bit worse
2012- Dumba - better

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
There is going to be some shockers in this draft bud. Maybe not to Button's guesses but there are going to be a lot of surprises. Trust Bob, he said he has not seen this amount of varying opinions from 2-10+ in 35 years.

I am a bit worried that Tij Iginla might get taken 2-4 range. If both Tij and Demidov are taken 2-4, my decision is difficult. I would trade down to 8-10 in this case and gain another 1st.
I don’t like Iginla in the top 5. There’s too many players I have above him. In the 8-12 range, yeah.

I don’t see him as having elite potential like some of the other players. I think he’s a safe bet though, so I understand the appeal, but to me, safe shouldn’t be the primary selling point in or around the top 5.

I think people see his name and can’t help but envision his father. They play nothing alike. To me, he kind of plays like Max Domi did in juniors, but he shoots more. Jeff Skinner is another apt comparison, I think.

I’d bet he ends up somewhere in between those two, which would be a good player, but nothing I’d get too excited about, if we’re talking top 5 because that means they passed on several other players with higher ceilings.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t like Iginla in the top 5. There’s too many players I have above him. In the 8-12 range, yeah.

I don’t see him as having elite potential like some of the other players. I think he’s a safe bet though, so I understand the appeal, but to me, safe shouldn’t be the primary selling point in or around the top 5.

I think people see his name and can’t help but envision his father. They play nothing alike. To me, he kind of plays like Max Domi did in juniors, but he shoots more. Jeff Skinner is another apt comparison, I think.

I’d bet he ends up somewhere in between those two, which would be a good player, but nothing I’d get too excited about, if we’re talking top 5 because that means they passed on several other players with higher ceilings.

There is no definitive BPA from 2-10 in this draft. It's only putting one name after another on a list. The true BPA comes later when fans/media do redrafts.

I think you are completely off with Iginla assessment. Naming Domi and Skinner is proof of that. Think more like Suzuki but with a better shot at the same age. Fans taking notice on Iggy's hot trend has nothing to do with his father. It's much deeper in context than that.

There is lots to like with both the D and F from 2-10 or even stretching that to 13. BPA just don't exist, it's all about trying to track or guess on how much they improve from 17/18 to 20+.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChesterNimitz

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I think the top 5 this year is perfect for Habs.

1 - Celebrini = SJ.

But Habs have a chance between Leshunov, Demidov, Lindstrom and Iginla // Sennecke.

Maybe for some people Sennecke will be a dispoinsated pick, but not for me. Right now he is not at the same level of Lindstrom or Iginla, but in few years, he will be considered at the same league of player than them. With more tools in him. (Bigger than Iginla).

I think everyone should be hype with the future of the team!!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

1 - Celebrini = SJ.

But Habs have a chance between Leshunov, Demidov, Lindstrom and Iginla // Sennecke.

Maybe for some people Sennecke will be a dispoinsated pick, but not for me. Right now he is not at the same level of Lindstrom or Iginla, but in few years, he will be considered at the same league of player than them. With more tools in him. (Bigger than Iginla).

Wheeler and Pronman of the Athletic, who seem to have good connections with what teams, are suspecting Demidov might drop to 5.

Many think Saliyev may go top 4.

There's still a month for things to develop... And then we find out...

Last edited:

Next Best Thing

Oct 31, 2022

1 - Celebrini = SJ.

Or you know, Iginla pulls an... Iginla.
There's just no way to know for sure how they'll pan out, we need to go by available data and he doesn't belong in the same tier as the others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad