Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
It’s a blueprint that has served him well during his coaching career, one that saw him compile a 281-190-72 record in 543 regular-season games coaching the Philadelphia Flyers and Blues before landing the Toronto job. He's 27-31 in 58 Stanley Cup Playoff games.
It's early, it'll take some time for everyone to settle (Mo is correct there), and we'll see where this all plays out as we get deeper into and (hopefully) into the playoffs... but damn, that is one meh average record.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The team is competing and they are motivated. It’s really nice to see.

The Blueprint put out a video on Berube. He has a way with the guys. He’s firm but he’s also got jokes with them and is very personable, the way it should be a good balance. Doesn’t coddle them but really makes an effort to know each guy personally.

I can only imagine what else he can do with some solid trade deadline acquisitions. Grab another center so we can move JT to the wing and let Berube do his thing for creating great match ups

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
I love how they keep to their game plan even when up by a lead. Instead of letting the opponent claw back they keep at it

This is the best system and team play I’ve seen in the Leafs in the last 15 years at least

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Breath of fresh air to see the team putting in full 60 minutes of effort. Every game so far.

We won't win them all, but it was never about that.

The problem was letting them show up for 20-40 minutes night after night and thinking that was ok if the score went our way.

We're also playing "playoff style hockey" right from the get go instead of meandering through the regular season then trying to switch gears 3/4 of the way into the season to try to get into playoff mode. Florida plays the same way in the playoffs as they do in the regular season, Leafs need to do that as well.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
I'm not going to pile on Keefe, but clearly this team needed a change and has completely bought into what Berube wants them to do. Whether its successful in the playoffs is up in the air, but they are actively playing differently. It looks differently stylistically and the effort seems different.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I'm not going to pile on Keefe, but clearly this team needed a change and has completely bought into what Berube wants them to do. Whether its successful in the playoffs is up in the air, but they are actively playing differently. It looks differently stylistically and the effort seems different.
Keefe wanted to go along to get along. It was his first time in the NHL and he wanted to please a little too much. In terms of his coaching, I thought he was fine, but he didn't have that extra "playoff beard" mentality that the players would respect.

Look, it worked for him. The team never missed the playoffs but choked in every game 7. Hard to blame him for game 7 folding of this team and I dont think any coach is immune to that if players aren't Gamers. He kept his poise and didn't bad mouth anyone in public, thus, he landed on his feet in NJ. Good for him.

Berube has been in the league before, won the Cup, built a track record. This means he will always have job opportunities in the NHL. I said before that a guy like Torts could work here because he doesn't care, he is going to be direct and challenge players which is what they need. The Clubhouse mentality often produces happy losers.

I never truly thought Torts would be the type considered, but they did get a coach who demands accountability and the players must play the game the way it will be played come playoffs. He values the types of players that knowledgeable fans understand win rings. Tanev, a new addition obviously; being a key example. The guys further down the lineup are going to get their chances because Berube wants to roll a balanced lineup and play heavy hockey. This has always been known as lacking to anyone watching this team the last 8 years.

I recall for years the new generation of fans on here believing that the team was only acceptable if it was a video game all-star team. This was foolhardy, especially on defense where you need guys who can defend and sacrifice before you have guys who can rush end to end but go -3 on the night.

Berube is comfortable right out of the chute and he doesn't like losing. If a team doesn't like losing they will sacrifice and compete every night. They will make visiting teams dread having to play in Toronto because they know that no inch of ice will be easy to claim and every puck battle will represent a desperate battle.

Few teams ever hoisted the Cup by being easy to play against.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapspaceKiller

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Breath of fresh air to see the team putting in full 60 minutes of effort. Every game so far.

We won't win them all, but it was never about that.

The problem was letting them show up for 20-40 minutes night after night and thinking that was ok if the score went our way.

Yes. The playoffs were the same way, in a 7 game series we would get 1-2 stinkers from them every time. And I don't mean losses, I mean the Game 3 against Panthers, Game 1 against Tampa 2023, etc. Same as the regular season, they felt fine taking periods or games off effort wise as they wanted to.

The fact the core has bought in as heavy as they have, I do think they want to win and I do think they want to prove people wrong about them. I think they recognize Berube is telling them straight up this is how you win, and they know this is what they have avoided buying into their whole careers.

IDK if we win the cup this year, but if this maintains and we don't get so injured the roster is unrecognizable we are going to go deep. We will have a few seasons of deep playoff runs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad