Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
This team needs a guy to come in and immediately show that he means business. Losing should be unpleasant. It's a personal insult when you lose. Perhaps Berube with his background and manner in which he earned a living in the NHL is personally offended by a team being a little too cozy with losing when it matters most.

The vibe I've gotten from the current core is that they don't hate losing enough. Maybe not at all. Everyone loves winning, and these guys are no different. That's why I'm reluctant to say they don't care. They do. But somewhere along the way I think they got complacent.

I don't know if a coach or GM can change that but I do think it can change. I might be naive but I think Matthews and Nylander have started to get that mentality of hating to lose, even if it's slow evolution.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Wings fan coming in peace. Congrats on the hire.Always loved Berube.Is Berube Babcock minus all his BS? And also Trevling emphasized "character matters" was that a shot at Keefe?
I figured you guys would know best.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Wings fan coming in peace. Congrats on the hire.Always loved Berube.Is Berube Babcock minus all his BS? And also Trevling emphasized "character matters" was that a shot at Keefe?
Your bang on on both parts.....caught the keefe shot in real time too lol

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
You presuppose that a coach has a shopping list to give to a gm upon hire. These are discussions had with team management. Berube didn't build the roster in St Louis. He got the roster to work and likely brought up issues with that after the fact. IMO, he will differentiate coaching styles from Keefe. If it's primarily a roster problem, Keefe likely wouldn't have been fired. The frenzy around here is akin to Lord of the Flies". If that is how MLSE runs...and it has in the past...this team will continue to be doomed. A new coach is a major development. Any trade done in the short term will not be because of Berube. It will be because management has a deal that it considers to be incrementally better.
I have had time to mull over your response. I believe Berube will definitely have an impact on who they bring in. When he met with Tre and Shanahan of course it was discussed what type of team they would want to build, and types of players who would be more likely to fit into this style of play.

Does that mean Berube will have a say on any trades they make, of course not! But the discussions they would have had already would be playing a part in that.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The Leafs turn over about 25-30% of the roster every summer, and the results are more or less carbon copies of themselves year over year in the first round despite these big changes in personnel. So it's not even a roster problem, whatever that looks like any given year but specifically a Keefe, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares and Rielly problem.

We simply can't find 5 guys who will do all their jobs for them when it really matters, so we need a guy who can get more juice out of them, whomever is remaining.
It makes absolutely zero sense that 100% of the players underperform in the playoffs, and once they leave they are over a point a game during the playoffs.it has to be coaching. Whether that be the game style implemented, assignments, matchups or just awareness on who doesn’t have it on any particular night and who is going well.

Reactions: studebaker17

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Tre was very diplomatic in saying the elements they were emphasizing aren’t necessarily elements they were missing and was very complimentary to Keefe specifically. But we all know that wasn’t a very tightly run ship.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Tre was very diplomatic in saying the elements they were emphasizing aren’t necessarily elements they were missing and was very complimentary to Keefe specifically. But we all know that wasn’t a very tightly run ship.

Yea, I thought Tree did a good job of not shitting on Keefe. He went out of his way to say that even though they wanted certain things in the new coach, it's not inferring they weren't getting it from Keefe.

I think Berube does have the ability to command more than Keefe though.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
No coach wins with a poorly built team, however, for the first time in years it looks like they’re headed in the right direction. They’ve identified some of the problems but it’s not an easy fix.

Reactions: The Masters

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I'm not sure what more Commamder Craig can command from these guys that hasn't been commanded of them already.

That they score more goals maybe. Either that or stop the opponent from scoring more. A combination of the two perhaps.

Or maybe Berube can command these things in a different way than has ever been commanded before.

The truth is Berube can bark orders until he's blue in the face. As soon as one of these coach killers get their nose out of joint they'll be crying to Wahnahan. These guys have less shame than I do.

And I have no shame to speak of whatsoever.

Watching this drama unfold is better than a soap opera. The emotional baggage and estrogen levels rival the teenage valley girl I dumped in high school. She had that exact same "What-evs" attitude all these pampered millionaire athletes possess.

Maybe Berube can bully that out of them too.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
So, it is a very small sample obviously but I liked listening to the interview Berube had with Kipper and Bourne. He sounded a bit ornery and serious. This is NOT a bad thing, this is great. It says to me he's not just happy being the Leafs coach, he is dead serious about winning.

I recall Burns being the same. Quinn to a lesser degree but he didn't joke around too often, he was all business.

Scotty Bowman was the same according to people who met him. He learned from Toe Blake, just the greatest coach in history.

This team needs a guy to come in and immediately show that he means business. Losing should be unpleasant. It's a personal insult when you lose. Perhaps Berube with his background and manner in which he earned a living in the NHL is personally offended by a team being a little too cozy with losing when it matters most.
You know the best way to win? Field a team of "sore losers".

Reactions: myleafs

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Is Berube Babcock minus all his BS?
not if the idea is they are both "old school". Babcock was not old school at all. He coached the wimpiest teams in Leafs history, never benched anyone or called them out, said his players didn't need to stick up for each other on the ice, and said they didn't need to play physical but could use "quick sticks" instead. And exposing something Marner said in confidence is the least old school thing there is. Old school shuns that type of thing.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm surprised more hasn't been made about the Leafs lack of thorough process in filling out the GM and coach positions.

Last summer once Dubas was gone, Treliving's name was out there within 24 hours. He was "their guy", they met, came to an agreement, and... that was it. No proper GM search. No exhaustive measures to try and fill the biggest seat in hockey. They talked properly to one guy, and gave him the job.

Fast forward 12 months, and once Keefe was gone, Berube's name was out there very quickly. He was "their guy", they met, came to an agreement, and... that was it. Berube got the job. No exhaustive or thorough coaching search involving discussions & interviews with several different candidates.

I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with having a specific "profile" of the type of person you want to fill a particular role within an organization, and then going out and hunting for the person you feel is the best or closest fit for that role.

However, for an organization that has made a lot of disappointing decisions lately and suffered from a significant lack of success, it feels hasty and unwise to have gone this route without a proper, exhaustive search for either position, given how important these hires are. Feels like they formulated ideas in their head, and then used the interview process to confirm those ideals, rather than be open minded to new or dynamic ones.

I understand their organizational need to feel like they had to react quickly to grab Berube given the large interest in him league-wide. However, Craig Berube wasn't on anyone's list of top NHL coaches - it's concerning that they acted with such haste, again, just a year after they took on the same exact same steps to get Treliving in.

Time will tell whether these moves are right for the team. If they aren't, you simply have to look at their reluctance in conducting proper searches, and question their openness to new ideas versus simply confirming pre-conceived ones they already formulated.

Reactions: Confucius

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I'm surprised more hasn't been made about the Leafs lack of thorough process in filling out the GM and coach positions.

Last summer once Dubas was gone, Treliving's name was out there within 24 hours. He was "their guy", they met, came to an agreement, and... that was it. No proper GM search. No exhaustive measures to try and fill the biggest seat in hockey. They talked properly to one guy, and gave him the job.

Fast forward 12 months, and once Keefe was gone, Berube's name was out there very quickly. He was "their guy", they met, came to an agreement, and... that was it. Berube got the job. No exhaustive or thorough coaching search involving discussions & interviews with several different candidates.

I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with having a specific "profile" of the type of person you want to fill a particular role within an organization, and then going out and hunting for the person you feel is the best or closest fit for that role.

However, for an organization that has made a lot of disappointing decisions lately and suffered from a significant lack of success, it feels hasty and unwise to have gone this route without a proper, exhaustive search for either position, given how important these hires are. Feels like they formulated ideas in their head, and then used the interview process to confirm those ideals, rather than be open minded to new or dynamic ones.

I understand their organizational need to feel like they had to react quickly to grab Berube given the large interest in him league-wide. However, Craig Berube wasn't on anyone's list of top NHL coaches - it's concerning that they acted with such haste, again, just a year after they took on the same exact same steps to get Treliving in.

Time will tell whether these moves are right for the team. If they aren't, you simply have to look at their reluctance in conducting proper searches, and question their openness to new ideas versus simply confirming pre-conceived ones they already formulated.
Well, the Leafs probably do their prep work well before the actual firing. Perhaps even as early as at the end of the season prior when they make contingency plans. Dubas may have been the exception.

Once he is canned the Leafs have inroads to every potential choice, they are the Yankees of the NHL.
So basically they have an idea well before they choose their guy but they have to go through the motions.

It is this way as well in government, corporations, police forces. Mandated to interview at least three candidates? No problem we can do that and waste two candidates time. I have seen interviews conducted a couple of hours before the deadline for the decision, it is comical really.

In reality they alter the requirements in the position so that only one candidate can really fulfill the job (sorry to get political but our Premier was accused of this when he hired his cop friend for OPP I believe). In this case, they will simply interview as many as possible, have perhaps a distant Plan B in case Berube rolls into the interview on a Harley and curses the team, reignites his glory years and throws a right hook at Shanny. Other than that, he is basically their man well before he is interviewed, it is his job to lose in essence. Leafs have done their homework and the coach basically knows it.

Before this happens the team creates some intrigue through their media arms. Leaks a few details intentionally to "insiders" who are being used. Well, it's a two way street I suppose. Fans speculate, sports media talks about it constantly and Leafs stay in the sportlight.

They can't go with the new and shiny object because they did that already with president, GM and coach before the latest firings. So they had to revert back to experienced, and being the Leafs they want to avoid controversy so no thoughts of Bergevin or Quinnville really crossed their minds, whether a denial of their services was warranted or not. Both are too controversial.

I would have loved to see Bergevin here, but Brad gets it so as long as he doesn't throw a Hail Mary too early, he is a good choice thus far. I definitely feel that he and Craig are going to collaborate to build the team which is the right way to do these things. The last time Leafs had a long run the coach was also the GM. There is a reason this works so well. Brad isn't arrogant, he wants to win too and getting on the same page with the coach is crucial.

The franchise is what it is. It's a part of many of our lives since we were knee high. People convert to other religions on a higher basis than they do sports teams. My interest has been waning but I contribute when I have time.

Now excuse me as I have to vomit again :(

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
sorry if I missed it but has there been any word on assistants hired and can the leafs sign as many assitants as they want? Even tho only so many can be behind the bench.

Its a big factor IMHO who is hired here because we need better coaching for our special teams and defensive play.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
sorry if I missed it but has there been any word on assistants hired and can the leafs sign as many assitants as they want? Even tho only so many can be behind the bench.

Its a big factor IMHO who is hired here because we need better coaching for our special teams and defensive play.
Not really, discussion has mostly been about Hyman.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Not sure if you recall the incident but Keefe was severely undermined, by Kid Blunder the Dumbass.

Dubas made Keefe call a impromptu presser to walk back some things he said about the team being soft after a typically horrid early season performance. With one stroke Dubas made Keefe look like a total weiner in front of the entire hockey world.

The players pretty much lost respect for him and slowly but surely he got tuned out by some guys.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Well, the Leafs probably do their prep work well before the actual firing. Perhaps even as early as at the end of the season prior when they make contingency plans. Dubas may have been the exception.

Once he is canned the Leafs have inroads to every potential choice, they are the Yankees of the NHL.
So basically they have an idea well before they choose their guy but they have to go through the motions.

This is all the more reason to take your time, hold an open minded search, and embrace new ideas. If, at the end of that process, you feel like you want to circle back to your original choice, great. And if the Leafs are still a huge draw, that choice should still be waiting.

It is this way as well in government, corporations, police forces. Mandated to interview at least three candidates? No problem we can do that and waste two candidates time. I have seen interviews conducted a couple of hours before the deadline for the decision, it is comical really.
A professional hockey organization, desperately needing to get these 2 last hires right, absolutely should not be operating in this manner.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Not really, discussion has mostly been about Hyman.

Thanks.....I wonder if they are waiting for coaches that are still in playoffs.
Was mentioned that they were looking for a assistant with HC resume. Not sure who that would be.

When a club is so rich like the leafs ....it would be wise to have the best scouts and assistants etc as there is no cap to limit how many coaches etc they can have I believe.

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad