Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Supposedly There is A formerHead Coach Berube wants to bring in as an assistant I wonder who that is Hopefully It's Gerard Gallant

Reactions: LeafSteel

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Marner yes, but I can’t see them trading Reilly.
Well, Mo had better learn how to defend in record time because I don’t think the new coach will accept his pathetic defensive game, that’s for damn dure…….

Reactions: Al14

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I think Berube will love JT, he’ll utilize him properly in the middle of the 3rd or 4th line where he’ll excel. Hard work isn’t JT’s problem, it’s declining abilities…….
This is why I'm hesitant to get rid of JT.

If we can survive his cap hit one more season he's going to be the steal of the league on his Grandpa cap hit to retire a Leaf.

JT can probably still crush any of the 3 amigos in the gym.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Swayman was hot as hell this post season and it didn't get Boston far. Takes a lot more than a hot Binnington to win 4 rounds. He was great but it was a well coached gritty team.
Boston relied on their goaltending all year. On a lot of nights the goalie was their best player. Unfortunately they’ll plug their holes in the summer .

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
The whole no.1 G need is a bit over rated. As long as you play hard, structured and tight (for a lack of better words lol) , your goalie just needs to (not) be inept.

The main thing that should be mandatory to provide our new coach is whatever Liljegren is supposed to be doing....because Lil for sure as hell isn't going to provide it. There's so many instances of that Boston series where you're left wondering if the game would have been a win if Liljegren could have at least been average at his job.
Yeah man exactly. And he has been pretty passive in the physical department since his injury. Remember there was a big kerfuffle about no one standing up to Marchand when he injured him? Maybe that affected him psychologically. He has the tools to be an NHLer but he looks fringe right now. I got flamed for this in the past when he was a blue chip but I think Lilly lacking a few inches in height makes all the difference between him being solid or replaceable. He's muscular BUT height matters on the blue line these days. It affects him in all areas too not just with the physicality.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Boston relied on their goaltending all year. On a lot of nights the goalie was their best player. Unfortunately they’ll plug their holes in the summer .
Ullmark should net them a decent return, and they will probably be active in free agency.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
This team has needed a new voice behind the bench since at least the Florida loss, if not immediately after the 2021 disaster. Keefe's deficiencies more than anything contributed to this teams repeated playoff failures as the same problems always plagued them; inability to score, poor special teams, and a refusal to adapt or change things.

Berube has a winning pedigree, a reputation as a motivator, and preaches hard nosed, no passengers hockey. We need that in this market more than ever.
I also liked the comment he made, and Tre has alluded to before, that this is a team game and that every player, from 1-23, need to feel they play an important part in the game. No more of it being about "the core" and everybody else!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With our GM Treliving and our new coach both loving Big, :hit:Physical, :fight:Heavy hockey the Leafs will no longer be playing 1 system during the regular season of wide open scoring on rush, to dump and chase come playoff time when the checking is tighter and the neutral zone no longer an open highway more a log-jam to get through.

In the past you could define the Leafs regular season as "for entertainment purposes only", and then "pretenders" come playoff time when asked to hit hard and play physical and dump and chase pucks, while winning puck battles and generating offense off the cycle and crashing the net to score goals.

Therefore I'm expecting BT to provide his hand picked coach the proper player personnel to play "playoff style winning hockey" from game #1 of the regular season and no longer be an easy night for the opposition. I'm expecting more style-like players like Tyler Bertuzzi, Max Domi, Ryan Reaves, Connor Dewar and Dmen Simon Benoit, Joel Edmundson & Ilya Lyubushkin to fill out the Leafs roster to allow the team to play Craig Berube hockey,

Mercifully for Leaf Nation after 5-6 painful years of enduring Soo Level OHL GM and Coaching, we're finally going to see some real NHL professionals at work, and a team into "Contenders". :stanley:.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Yeah man exactly. And he has been pretty passive in the physical department since his injury. Remember there was a big kerfuffle about no one standing up to Marchand when he injured him? Maybe that affected him psychologically. He has the tools to be an NHLer but he looks fringe right now. I got flamed for this in the past when he was a blue chip but I think Lilly lacking a few inches in height makes all the difference between him being solid or replaceable. He's muscular BUT height matters on the blue line these days. It affects him in all areas too not just with the physicality.
Add onto that the fact he didn't even play in last season's playoffs, and then was a healthy scratch for 1 game this playoff, being replaced by Brodie. I feel he needs a change of scenery, but I'm hearing we would probably only get like a 3rd round pick for him. However, I would hope that we could get a 2nd for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
With our GM Treliving and our new coach both loving Big, :hit:Physical, :fight:Heavy hockey the Leafs will no longer be playing 1 system during the regular season of wide open scoring on rush, to dump and chase come playoff time when the checking is tighter and the neutral zone no longer an open highway more a log-jam to get through.

In the past you could define the Leafs regular season as "for entertainment purposes only", and then "pretenders" come playoff time when asked to hit hard and play physical and dump and chase pucks, while winning puck battles and generating offense off the cycle and crashing the net to score goals.

Therefore I'm expecting BT to provide his hand picked coach the proper player personnel to play "playoff style winning hockey" from game #1 of the regular season and no longer be an easy night for the opposition. I'm expecting more style-like players like Tyler Bertuzzi, Max Domi, Ryan Reaves, Connor Dewar and Dmen Simon Benoit, Joel Edmundson & Ilya Lyubushkin to fill out the Leafs roster to allow the team to play Craig Berube hockey,

Mercifully for Leaf Nation after 5-6 painful years of enduring Soo Level OHL GM and Coaching, we're finally going to see some real NHL professionals at work, and a team into "Contenders". :stanley:.
I suppose it could be exciting watching the team drive for that final wildcard spot once again.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019

If we resign Edmundson (which I wouldn't mind depending on term and amount), we will need another dman who will be able to play a fair amount of games because, at this point in his career, he will need nights off as well as being injured some.

Each pairing needs someone who can skate and make good outlet passes. Also, I was pleased for the most part with Boosh's play in the playoffs, but I don't think he's a good fit with Rielly for the regular season. As well, Rielly needs to be moved off of PP1, unless the new assistant coach who runs the PP makes it work with him out there. I can't see this happening though, I believe we need a top 2 dman to replace Rielly on PP1, and who also has a great shot from the blueline that the opposing PKers have to respect.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
he's only owed 900k after his bonus so someone would take without attaching a sweetener , whether he'd waive to go that team is the issue

the strange part in the trade Mitch crusade is that he's head and shoulders better than Tavares but people what to ship him out regardless of the return while also doing back flips to keep JT and even extend him , lol
Keep in mind that even if Tavares was willing to waive his NMC, he has negative trade value. It's not worth retaining part of his salary and giving up assets just to get rid of the last year of his deal.

Marner on the other hand could get a significant return under the right circumstances.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
There is plenty of player talk on other threads. Not sure why trade talk can't find another home than the coach thread.
Well, when you talk about the coach, especially a new one, the talk also tends to be about what kind of players he will want on the team, thus the tendency to also steer into trade talk.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Supposedly There is A formerHead Coach Berube wants to bring in as an assistant I wonder who that is Hopefully It's Gerard Gallant
It has probably already been mentioned, but I thought it might be Savard and Stevens who Berube would bring in with him, assuming they are both available.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Nah, some of you guys aren't giving Matthews and Nylander enough credit. They will likely improve their overall play, and maybe even their numbers, under Berube,. Tavares will have a resurgence. Domi may struggle because his defensive lapses are going to get him into trouble.

Tocchet is nothing special. Life is easier for a coach when you have a Norris defenseman and a Vezina goalie.
Honestly, I do apologize but this is just incorrect.
Tochett completely changed the culture of the Vancouver Canucks, honesty, accountability, and the way he demands players to play the game, is something I have never seen in my 30+ years of watching hockey in Vancouver.

You are right we have some talented superstar players, but he keeps them accountable, just look what he did the other night, he called out multiple stars, he does not give a shit, this is why I think Toronto is in such a good spot with berube, who also has the same attributes.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's gunna rattle Matthews a lot more than some people are expecting too.

If Berube does rattle Matthews, it might turn out to be the best thing for him. For all that AM34 does, he’s got to take that next step to be Mackinnon, Draisaitl level in the playoffs. What looks like he’s missing is that extra jolt of emotion. If Berube makes him uncomfortable, challenges him and brings that fire out of him that’s mission accomplished on the coaching side.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Tochett completely changed the culture of the Vancouver Canucks, honesty, accountability, and the way he demands players to play the game, is something I have never seen in my 30+ years of watching hockey in Vancouver.

You are right we have some talented superstar players, but he keeps them accountable, just look what he did the other night, he called out multiple stars, he does not give a shit, this is why I think Toronto is in such a good spot with berube, who also has the same attributes.
No need to apologize. But look at Tocchet's coaching record before he arrived in Vancouver. Abysmal, right? Maybe it had something to do with the lineups he had in Arizona and Tampa compared to what he has in Vancouver?

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Yeah I see that too. I find that on Canadian teams specifically we have a bit of an NBA starting lineup vs bench mentality. This has been a problem in Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton.

What Tocchet seems to have done is bring that grunt accountability to the top players while management has improved the supporting cast. I see that as Treliving’s mission.

Reactions: weems

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad