Speculation: Craig Berube Interested in Coaching the Sens

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Yes please.

I'd still love to retain martin and obviously alfie. And yes to Pounder if at all possible

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Martin and Alfie are perfect for the rest of the year.
Martin starts the process of breaking them down, Berube comes in with entirely his own guys and builds them back up the way he wants.
Alfie and Martin download a lot of info to Staios/SextonPoulin and let them along with Berube shape the roster in the offseason.

Also if Alfie stays a coach, it also means someday he’ll be fired and I don’t want the Sens to ever have to fire Alfie.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Sign me up, been years this team has had a legit NHL head coach

Please this dude over some Marlies guy with no head coaching experience.
Honestly if this new management and ownership group hires another rookie coach from the Toronto organization :help:

Reactions: Alex1234

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Martin did an interview awhile back (before he became coach) where he mentioned not being interested in coaching in the NHL again due to the travel schedule. Obviously his mind has changed a bit but I don't think he's interested in coaching long-term. I think he either steps down if they hire another HC or acts as assistant until the end of the season before swapping back to a non-coaching role.

I believe that's the plan. Looks like he and Alfredsson are only there til the end of the season. Martin isn't a young guy anymore, and the way things are going now with so much stuff going around and stressors out there, it's not worth it to push to hard when you're in your 70s.

Definitely like the idea of a Berube hire. I haven't followed his coaching path myself, but the reviews of him being a tougher coach and having some good pedigree....I want that for this team.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'm still a Patrick Roy guy, but this is my 2nd choice.

Roy is gonna kill it somewhere someday, whenever he gets the chance. He can coach and he's a winner. I feel like his first stint in the NHL gets more negative reviews than it deserved. Those were some very bad Avalanche teams that he probably got the very most out of. He never went below .500% in winning percentage either. Even has a jack Adam's lol, and in hindsight that probably got him a little too high on himself (as a hall of famer turned rookie coach that's used to always being right).

Yes he made many bad mistakes off the ice and let his ego get in the way at times. But he's grown and evolved, and very likely has learned what not to do next time (ie know his place in the organization).

Reactions: LiseL

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018

Roy is gonna kill it somewhere someday, whenever he gets the chance. He can coach and he's a winner. I feel like his first stint in the NHL gets more negative reviews than it deserved. Those were some very bad Avalanche teams that he probably got the very most out of. He never went below .500% in winning percentage either. Even has a jack Adam's lol, and in hindsight that probably got him a little too high on himself (as a hall of famer turned rookie coach that's used to always being right).

Yes he made many bad mistakes off the ice and let his ego get in the way at times. But he's grown and evolved, and very likely has learned what not to do next time (ie know his place in the organization).
Patrick perfect fit here

Reactions: Silky Johnson

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'd take Patrick Roy first

The thing about Roy is he doesn’t play well with others. Apparently he hates Videotron and Videotron hates him and he’s out in QC because both sides can’t stand each other any longer

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Ted Nolan will be hired as a HC in the NHL before Roy does.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The thing about Roy is he doesn’t play well with others. Apparently he hates Videotron and Videotron hates him and he’s out in QC because both sides can’t stand each other any longer
That tracks with his history. It's also worth noting that even though the Remparts won a Memorial Cup, there was still a "parting of the ways" there. That's telling.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
95% of out of work coaches would coach the Sens. I’m not putting a lot of stock in Berube coming here. I think there is a good chance that Martin will be back.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I'd hire berube sooner rather than later so he has time to evaluate the roster and figure out who is buying into the system and who's not. Then hopefully hit the ground running next season

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'd hire berube sooner rather than later so he has time to evaluate the roster and figure out who is buying into the system and who's not. Then hopefully hit the ground running next season
I think management is finding that out already. There's no chance they didnt tell the players they are being evaluated right now. Who is buying in and who isnt, Martin and Alfie are going to end up on the management and player development side. If the players dont clue into this they are likely already out the door.

Reactions: Dionysus

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I think management is finding that out already. There's no chance they didnt tell the players they are being evaluated right now. Who is buying in and who isnt, Martin and Alfie are going to end up on the management and player development side. If the players dont clue into this they are likely already out the door.
Maybe. But I'd rather have next seasons' coach (hopefully Berube) be that guy doing the evaluations than the interim one.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Maybe. But I'd rather have next seasons' coach (hopefully Berube) be that guy doing the evaluations than the interim one.
I am finding it pretty easy to see who is buying in and who isnt right now. Martin has articulated what they are trying to do. There's certain players doing it and there are ones that arent even trying to. Now without being there in the room its hard to say who is doing it on purpose, who isnt bothering and who is incapable of it. None are good reasons but some are worse than others. #72 needs to be shipped out immediately.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I am finding it pretty easy to see who is buying in and who isnt right now. Martin has articulated what they are trying to do. There's certain players doing it and there are ones that arent even trying to. Now without being there in the room its hard to say who is doing it on purpose, who isnt bothering and who is incapable of it. None are good reasons but some are worse than others. #72 needs to be shipped out immediately.
Certain players play better under different coaches. Berube might be able to bring out the best from him. Id be hesitant to make too many drastic moves until the new coach is hired on

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Certain players play better under different coaches. Berube might be able to bring out the best from him. Id be hesitant to make too many drastic moves until the new coach is hired on
Well they have to make a decision on Chychrun or Chabot there isnt room for both too similar same position and have already paid Sanderson. I agree that some coachs get more out of players than others but there is also scenarios where players simply arent doing what they are asked. Martin has stressed repeatedly they need better neutral zone play specifically the D holding the blue line defensively. Chabot has not even thought about trying to do it. Thats an uncoachable player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad