Value of: Couturier to BOS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Given how much Boston has already traded away in prior years, and given what Couturier has been when healthy, I suspect there isn't a deal to be made unless they're willing to take a risk on his health in exchange for a vastly lowered price. A healthy Couturier is a #1C, locked up for essentially the rest of his career, who is perhaps the closest available player to Bergeron stylistically in the league (you could argue Barkov or Kopitar, but I don't think they're available.) If he's 90% of who he was before the injuries, you're looking at two #1 picks, a top prospect, and another prospect or lesser draft asset. I personally think Couturier's a better player than Scheifele (I'll grant I'm biased here, Couts is my favorite player ever), but that's about the range we're talking about for price.

Sight unseen, though, the price drops significantly. In exchange for taking the risk on the basis of his medicals and practice tape, that price probably comes down to a good prospect, but probably not Boston's #1 guy, and a pick conditional on his availability over the next couple years, or possibly on team success over that time frame. (Philly could probably also take back a contract like Forbort without impacting the price of the deal any, if that's a benefit from Boston's perspective.) That's something Boston can still do, even with everything they've shipped out at the past couple deadlines, with the understanding that if Couturier isn't fully healthy, the bulk of the price they'd be paying is in cap hit.

I can absolutely understand Boston not wanting to go for it, not wanting to take that risk, but if they don't, I think they probably end up shopping a tier or two down for their C help, rather than up in the Couturier/Scheifele tier.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Would be something if Boston can manage to get Couturier right after loosing Bergeron since he is most probably the best comparable current french canadian player to Bergeron

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Evergreen

Couturier and Lindholm would be the two most direct replacements for Bergeron and would be great fits for the Bruins, in my opinion, but I think any deal for Couturier would have to wait until he establishes that he is back healthy. He’s missed nearly two years due to recurring back injuries.

I also think Boston would need to decide whether Lindholm (1 year to UFA) or Couturier (7 years left) fits their timeline.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ledge And Dairy

Couturier and Lindholm would be the two most direct replacements for Bergeron and would be great fits for the Bruins, in my opinion, but I think any deal for Couturier would have to wait until he establishes that he is back healthy. He’s missed nearly two years due to recurring back injuries.

I also think Boston would need to decide whether Lindholm (1 year to UFA) or Couturier (7 years left) fits their timeline.
The problem is the Bruins most valuable tradable asset (Swayman) is of very little interest to Calgary. So creating a package for the Flames that would interest them is very unlikely since their prospect pool and picks are so depleted. Obviously there is risk in taking on Couturier there is a very good chance he would fit like a leather glove there if he comes back in form. And due to his injury his trade value is probably much cheaper. The difficult part would be fitting him under the cap this year. Assuming Swayman gets ~3.5M they will be left with 2M cap space so unless the trade involves Charlie Coyle it's probably impossible to fit him under the cap

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Bus fare until he proves to be healthy and not a shell of his former self.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

The thing is that back injuries really never get better. He is always going to be at risk of it flaring up even if he puts together a great 60 games up until the TDL. Hard to count on that for a playoff team.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
With his contract and current health concerns, it would be a trade that could bury the Bruins. They’ll stay clear of these type moves.

They also don’t have the greatest assets to move to bring in top end Cs, so we’re probably looking at a Pius Suter type signing. A player who can play 2C but really isn’t a 2C.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
It's obvious Couturier has a negative value at the moment. If he comes back and plays a full NHL season then his value changes. How he performs after recovery will determine his trade value and not how he performed in 2020-21. And with back injuries there is no guarantee that he's the same player he was before the injury.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
With his contract and current health concerns, it would be a trade that could bury the Bruins. They’ll stay clear of these type moves.

They also don’t have the greatest assets to move to bring in top end Cs, so we’re probably looking at a Pius Suter type signing. A player who can play 2C but really isn’t a 2C.
Exactly why they probably have to make a risk/upside move like this. Don't have the assets to trade for a sure-fire top line C.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
This trade has all the upside for Boston and all the downside for Philly.

This trade has all the makings of Eichel 2.0 trade but with even more reduced value for Philly. Sure it's possible Couturier doesn't play again but what happens if he comes back at 100%? Boston instantly goes back to being very competitive with little assets going out.

If his career is over Philly ends up being bad and can make moves. If he comes back at 100% he's worth more than whatever spare parts it would be now. His cap hit for a 1C is good value especially given his 200 ft play.

Flyer fans are so desperate to blow the team up they aren't even logically thinking about trade values.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
This trade has all the upside for Boston and all the downside for Philly.

This trade has all the makings of Eichel 2.0 trade but with even more reduced value for Philly. Sure it's possible Couturier doesn't play again but what happens if he comes back at 100%? Boston instantly goes back to being very competitive with little assets going out.

If his career is over Philly ends up being bad and can make moves. If he comes back at 100% he's worth more than whatever spare parts it would be now. His cap hit for a 1C is good value especially given his 200 ft play.

Flyer fans are so desperate to blow the team up they aren't even logically thinking about trade values.
This is assuming his return is very low? You're the one not thinking logically. He's been cleared for 4+ months. Former selke winner.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If his career is over Philly ends up being bad and can make moves. If he comes back at 100% he's worth more than whatever spare parts it would be now.

You're right about what happens at either end of the bell curve. The Flyers absolutely win by holding on to him for later, in those two cases. The part I think you're glossing over is what happens if we get a Couturier who is, say, 40-60% of what he was, but at 100% of the price? That player is a nightmare of a boat anchor, and he'd be one well into the future. I'm fine keeping Couturier, like I said he's my favorite player, I'm fine trading him, to let him try and win a Cup elsewhere and free up a bunch of cash for the future, but I can't overlook the possibility we get back a player who's too healthy to retire, too expensive to move, and under contract for so long he's negatively impacting the prime Michkov years.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Coots says he's healthy

If so he's the Flyers best player bar none.....why would they trade him ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad