CountDown to Camp - Opens September 19

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think a healthy Murray will make the goalie competition this camp very interesting.
Anyone think they'll carry 3 goalie?

Reactions: CuuuJooo

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I think a healthy Murray will make the goalie competition this camp very interesting.
Anyone think they'll carry 3 goalie?

No chance but if Murray is anywhere close to decent our media will play up the Murray claimed on waivers narrative like usual. You can't play 3 goalies consistently enough, they need reps.

So long as Woll is healthy the org is committed to letting him figure things out as our starter and have some quality vets to help if he can't do it.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Let’s see Swayman make the Bruins sweat, recognize they are over a barrel, where they panic and sign Swayman for $10m, and trade us Frederic for Murray+ to make his new salary fit under the cap.

Back to playing polo upon my unicorn under the rainbow in the merry merry Land of Oz….

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Let’s see Swayman make the Bruins sweat, recognize they are over a barrel, where they panic and sign Swayman for $10m, and trade us Frederic for Murray+ to make his new salary fit under the cap.

Back to playing polo upon my unicorn under the rainbow in the merry merry Land of Oz….

Swayman will sign below $8.5 million.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
No chance but if Murray is anywhere close to decent our media will play up the Murray claimed on waivers narrative like usual. You can't play 3 goalies consistently enough, they need reps.

So long as Woll is healthy the org is committed to letting him figure things out as our starter and have some quality vets to help if he can't do it.
Woll is guaranteed a spot, it's between Murray and Stolarz. I think Murray could make that competition interesting

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
If he has no chance, why would they bother signing him?
To be the Marlies goalie and the Leafs back-up (or starter) if both Woll and/or Stolarz are injured.

I guess he has a 'chance' but there's no way they signed Stolarz thinking that Murray would make the team over him.

Reactions: egd27

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
No one know how healthy he really is.

This Is The Best I've Seen Matt Murray Look': Former NHL Goaltender Carter Hutton Says Not to Sleep on a Bounce Back From the Maple Leafs' Netminder​

"Matt is from Thunder Bay as well. I was on the ice with them a bunch [this summer]. We run a goalie camp here in the summer — him and Mackenzie Blackwood — and this is the best I've seen Matt Murray look," Hutton told Aaron Korolnek and Carlo Colaiacovo while examining Toronto's goalie situation.

"I'm going to pump his tires as well while I can here because he looks really good. And he is a guy that I fear if they try to put him down in the minors, gets picked up, especially with Laurent Broissoit going down in Chicago. And there's a lot of movement.
"But I like where the Leafs are at right now. But I think this is where I don't want to give anyone the keys to the castle just yet. I want them to get games and get them all going."
USATSI_19707049

‘My Hips Haven’t Felt This Good In A Long, Long Time’: Maple Leafs Goaltender Matt Murray on His One-Year ‘Prove It’ Deal and Renewed Optimism After Bilateral Hip Surgery​

Read More
Toronto is entering training camp with four goaltenders who could see NHL games this season: Joseph Woll, Anthony Stolarz, Murray, and potentially, Dennis Hildeby, if injuries stack up.
Colaiacovo and Korolnek were surprised that Hutton spoke highly of Murray, however, the former NHL goaltender of over 230 games doubled down, saying the goaltender's perfect for the Toronto hockey market.

"I'm telling you, he got both his hips done. He had double hip surgery and I've skated with Matt a bunch. I've watched him throughout the years, played against him, and this is the best summer I've seen him in a long, long time. So I'm very optimistic," Hutton said.

"Obviously, fingers crossed he's got to stay healthy. But I'm a big fan of Matt's game, and I think for him, he had options in free agency and he wanted to be in Toronto. He wanted to stay in Toronto. And I think because, you know, he's a guy that – he's been through these pressure situations. I don't think the market's going to affect him.

"It's just a matter of staying healthy. And I think that goes for pretty much their whole net right now because health is going to be the issue for the Toronto Maple Leafs."
Jones

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
To be the Marlies goalie and the Leafs back-up (or starter) if both Woll and/or Stolarz are injured.

I guess he has a 'chance' but there's no way they signed Stolarz thinking that Murray would make the team over him.
I hear what you're saying and thought of that but it seems wasteful to have him taking starts away from the younger goalies on the Marlies.

Think they carry 3 Goalies?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Probably, yes. #3 won't get many games, unless there are injuries. I think Murray is #3 to start the season, but if he's as healthy and playing as well as thought... he might steal a spot if the other two get injured.

Reactions: ACC1224
Sep 18, 2009
Big gamble on Woll
Let''s see
1725914310613.png

Reactions: Anthrax442

horner

May 22, 2007
Woll is guaranteed a spot, it's between Murray and Stolarz. I think Murray could make that competition interesting
Carter Hutton was on first
Murray Hutton and Blackwood hold a goaltender camp going back a number of yrs.
He said it is the best he has seen Murray play in yrs .
Supposedly Murray had other team wanting his services but he wanted to come to Toronto.
He said if he goes on waivers he will be picked up

Rookie tournament any coverage

Reactions: Anthrax442

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
When Markstrom went to NJ we had no choice but to go this route. But if Woll gets injured Tre may trade for a Gibson etc.Id say Hildeby could make it very interesting.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I hear what you're saying and thought of that but it seems wasteful to have him taking starts away from the younger goalies on the Marlies.

Thing about the A is that they sometimes play 3 games over a weekend to reduce the travel. Usually lots of starts to go around.

Just don't see them carrying 3 to start the season.

Reactions: ACC1224

horner

May 22, 2007
Thing about the A is that they sometimes play 3 games over a weekend to reduce the travel. Usually lots of starts to go around.

Just don't see them carrying 3 to start the season.
I do .
Murray wanted to be here his contract is league min.
Question if he gets claimed on waiver can he refuse.

Maybe they gave the same contract as Jones 100 thousand $ bonus

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

After signing Nicholas Robertson, the Maple Leafs are expected to announce a pair of additional signings involving a defenseman and a forward.​

Robertson and the Leafs ended their stalemate Tuesday morning, agreeing on a 1-year deal for the 22-year-old, which allows Brad Treliving to turn his attention to a pair of other contracts.

TSN's Darren Dreger has reported that with Robertson done, he expects the Leafs to announce deals for Jani Hakanpaa and Max Pacioretty in the near future. With Robertson's deal, the Leafs have just $400K in cap space available which means that another move will have to coincide with the signings of Hakanpaa and Pacioretty.

Reactions: horner

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I don’t see how Pacioretty fits in at all here, especially with Robertson signing.

Hakanpaa in means that Timmins is gone for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad