Pre-Game Talk: Countdown thread to 24-25 Season (T - 2 days)

Who's going to be the surprise of this camp ?

• Beck

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • Kapanen

Votes: 146 60.8%
  • Heineman

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Mesar

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • Engstrom

Votes: 36 15.0%
  • Farrell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trudeau

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • F. Xhekaj

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Tuch

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • Hughes

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Davidson

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Kidney

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
Well someone asked to spread the season openers. There is only 3 games tomorrow. 5 on Wednesday (including 6 Canadians teams facing each others). Somes teams aren't starting their season until Friday, which is stupid.
Wednesday and Saturday games are national broadcasts, so yes to an extent Sportsnet has influence on which match-ups are in those slots. They obviously wanted to have national broadcasts for the season openers. Sportsnet also pays a ton more $ to the NHL than RDS/TSN do for regional rights, so while RDS likes to have the Habs play Tuesdays as much as possible, they get second priority on matchups.

Reactions: Rapala

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
pretty sure they weren’t trying to go -1/30 thinking it does not matter. They were trying. Literally the only team without a pp goal in pre-season…
Oh I know they were trying, that's why I said it doesn't look great.

Preseason just isn't usually the best indicator of how the season will play out. Sometimes scrubs play like stars and fizzle out pretty quick, none of the vets are trying much in general so they look like crap.

We will see I suppose.

Reactions: Naslundforever

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Oh I know they were trying, that's why I said it doesn't look great.

Preseason just isn't usually the best indicator of how the season will play out. Sometimes scrubs play like stars and fizzle out pretty quick, none of the vets are trying much in general so they look like crap.

We will see I suppose.

It also looked like the dumbest configuration possible or MSL was intentionally putting people in odd spots to try to see what other options can be used outside of what should work.

Let's see what practice shows, cause no more farting around today.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Wednesday and Saturday games are national broadcasts, so yes to an extent Sportsnet has influence on which match-ups are in those slots. They obviously wanted to have national broadcasts for the season openers. Sportsnet also pays a ton more $ to the NHL than RDS/TSN do for regional rights, so while RDS likes to have the Habs play Tuesdays as much as possible, they get second priority on matchups.
Absolutely Wednesday Saturday used to be a tradition on CBC long before the advent of sports channels.
The so called "National" game is grandfathered in due to the CBC/SportNet affiliation but as we all know they don't really have to differentiate.
It's really a business as usual game featuring the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
So Hutson and Kapanen made the team?

Note : I know in Kapanen's case he won't be sent to Laval

Reactions: EveryDay

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Sooooofffffftt...Charmin soft.

200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: CheldishGamibno

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
For those who understand the cap better than I do, what would be the hesitation on using offseason LTIR for Laine?
If you put a player on LTIR in the offseason you accrue only enough of the LTIR to meet the cap, example, we are right now we are 1.187 over the cap, if we put Price on LTIR right NOW we would only accrue 1.187 because that's what we need to meet the cap and the rest of it would be "wasted".

That's why its better to send Xhekaj down in a paper move, his salary 1.3mill and then tomorrow put Price, Laine and RHP on LTIR officially, accruing 8.7(laine) + 1.1 (RHP) + 10.5 (price) which is 20.3 mill of LTIR and we would be 200k under the cap.

Then we recall Xhekaj and use up the 200k under the cap and 1.1 mill of the 20.3 which would leave us with 19.2 of LTIR space which we would use up part of whenever Laine and RHP come back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad