Pre-Game Talk: Countdown thread to 24-25 Season (T - 14 days) - Main Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who's going to be the surprise of this camp ?

• Beck

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Kapanen

Votes: 116 56.3%
  • Heineman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Mesar

Votes: 16 7.8%
  • Engstrom

Votes: 35 17.0%
  • Farrell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trudeau

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • F. Xhekaj

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Tuch

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • Hughes

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Davidson

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Kidney

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
How do you balance giving the veterans time to find their game in training camp, with giving the rookies a genuine chance to displace them if they earn it?

If the kids continue out playing the bottom6 vets, at what point do you stop using the "veteran taking their time" argument?
It is my opinion that vets should not be evaluated at camp. They are known product and you have more than enough information while looking at their previous 3 seasons to evaluate them properly. For a vet camp should just be to get in shape peformance should not matter much. Armia, Dvorak, Evans, Pazetta should be evaluated using what they did in the lst 3 seasons.

Reactions: Canadienna

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Matheson has superior offensive instinct but has only shown us the sloppy part of his package,

pause-gay.gif

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Disagree with me if you want but camp this year doesn't seem like much of a competition for forwards. The entire bottom 6 is a lock , not sure where you guys are slotting kapanen or heineman or really anybody lol. Anderson Gallagher Dvo Armia and Evans are going to be playing , if anything its Roy who has the least amount of leeway which is pretty sad considering he's the only one in the bottom 6 with any sort of upside right now.

Man it would be fun to shoot at least 3 of the 5 vets out of a cannon and have the kids play
You have to try Heineman and Barron this year though. Maybe not to start the year but at some point we'll have to make room either thru injuries or by making trades. It's better to graduate kids in wave if we wait to much we'll have too many kids coming in at the same time. Outside of Matheson the vets we have are not worth holding back kids with potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He's not entirely wrong. Matheson was 9th for Points and 19th for Goals and 8th for PPP and 9th for PPG last year. That's good but there's still potentially 7 or 8 teams with a better QB/offensive dman then us. Matheson defensive game is not top of the league by any stretch of the imagination. If you want to win a cup you can't say too often there's 7 to 8 teams with a better player at a critical position. If Hutson is better at one point in the upcoming years he'll have to take over.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
You have to try Heineman and Barron this year though. Maybe not to start the year but at some point we'll have to make room either thru injuries or by making trades. It's better to graduate kids in wave if we wait to much we'll have too many kids coming in at the same time. The vets we have are not worth holding back kids with potential.
Yes I hope the plan is to ship at least two of Dvorak Armia and Evans , Andy and Gally are unmovable , the question is do they wait until trade deadline or do they try to get this done early in the season

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Ok, que pasa today? Any cuts yet? PP sucked last night. Look like MSL has been coaching it all along, haha :)

Let's do another trade! Something to get some excitement going.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
It is my opinion that vets should not be evaluated at camp. They are known product and you have more than enough information while looking at their previous 3 seasons to evaluate them properly. For a vet camp should just be to get in shape peformance should not matter much. Armia, Dvorak, Evans, Pazetta should be evaluated using what they did in the lst 3 seasons.
Vets aren't known product, otherwise MSL would have realized 2 years ago that Anderson doesn't have the hands to play on the PP.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Vets are also not going 100% because they know how gruelling an 82 game regular season is and going hard in training camp leads to getting gassed during the season which is what happens to most kids their first few years in the NHL.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I tried to found the tweet, but wasn’t able.

It was saying that we where getting news on Guhle status today too
It was the guy on antichambre reading his phone for what I assume is a Text from their old colleague Chantal
And yeah he was pretty much saying , Guhle update and cuts Thursday

Disagree with me if you want but camp this year doesn't seem like much of a competition for forwards. The entire bottom 6 is a lock , not sure where you guys are slotting kapanen or heineman or really anybody lol. Anderson Gallagher Dvo Armia and Evans are going to be playing , if anything its Roy who has the least amount of leeway which is pretty sad considering he's the only one in the bottom 6 with any sort of upside right now.

Man it would be fun to shoot at least 3 of the 5 vets out of a cannon and have the kids play
Yeah I mean really we've known since August
Team was full
It was only about:
-will they make room for Roy, which they are
- who's grabbing #3RD, which is most likely Barron , for now

It was always going to be 25-26 that was REALLY gonna tell us something roster wise

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
The opening lineup is already set IMO

Cole Caufield - Nick Suzuki - Juraj Slafkovský
Alex Newhook - Kirby Dach - Patrik Laine
Joshua Roy - Christian Dvorak - Brendan Gallagher
Josh Anderson - Jake Evans - Joel Armia

Mike Matheson - Kaiden Guhle
Lane Hutson - David Savard
Arber Xhekaj - Justin Barron

Samuel Montembeault
Cayden Primeau

Pezzetta and Struble as extras with RHP on IR. Sadly Kapanen will probably go back to Sweden unless we keep 2 extra forwards up.

The only 2 questions are:

1. Who wins the 3RW spot between Gallagher, Anderson, and Armia

2. Who wins the 3RD spot between Barron, Mailloux, and Reinbacher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad