Could the NHL Work with Delayed Tag Up Offsides?

Garavar

Nov 27, 2016
Been debating this in my head for a long time but never had someone to debate with to know for sure if this would work and if it would increase scoring and pace of play...

Could the NHL games work with a "Delayed Tag Up?" Let me explain. The ref does not blow the whistle if the play is offsides even if the team has control. The offside player has to tag up before the shot on goal or it's offside.

Example LW, C, RW come into zone. C has puck but RW is offsides. Ref Screams his number he tags before C or LW shoot the puck at goalie or pass to RW. If goalie makes save or puck goes in net before RW hits the neutral zone it's offsides.

If it's a situation where more than 1 player is offsides it should maybe still be blown dead like it currently is. Example D bring a puck in offsides while everyone is already in the zone. Alternatively maybe instead of blowing it dead everyone has to tag up before shot if they don't then not only is it offsides but it becomes a faceoff back in offsides team's zone.

Thoughts? Am I crazy? I just don't like all the offsides and the reviews.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
It's a terrible idea if im being honest. It would be exploited to the point where teams would have a guy cherry picking way offside to back off the D, and then just tag up when puck carrier gains the zone before shooting.

Almost stops becoming hockey at that point as we know it.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Garavar

Nov 27, 2016
It's a terrible idea if im being honest. It would be exploited to the point where teams would have a guy cherry picking way offside to back off the D, and then just tag up when puck carrier gains the zone before shooting.

Almost stops becoming hockey at that point as we know it.
Well I am referring to an entry. You can't have someone in the zone to Cherry pick. It would only apply on zone entries where those close offside calls always. To prevent your scenerio the offside player has to be in same zone right before entry.

Ie RW can't be in offensive zone while C puck carrier is at center red line. They should be in neutral zone and if RW goes over a second before he can tag.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Well I am referring to an entry. You can't have someone in the zone to Cherry pick. It would only apply on zone entries where those close offside calls always. To prevent your scenerio the offside player has to be in same zone right before entry.

Ie RW can't be in offensive zone while C puck carrier is at center red line. They should be in neutral zone and if RW goes over a second before he can tag.
Offsides as a rule is fine, I don’t know why you would try to change it when there are so many other things that don’t work.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

Same point applies, the RW would just purposefully go offside on the rush to create that extra time and space and then tag.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Same thing, on entries, cherry picker can be in zone then tag.
The rule is good as stands, I see zero chances, of this change.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No. The player entering early influences the position of the defencemen on the entry, and this factor is not made up for by tagging up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad