Speculation: Could Scott Mayfield be available?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Mayfield and a 3rd for Kubalik would be doable but I can’t see Chicago taking that deal honestly unless the prospect is worth it for them.

I'm not sure why the Isles do that deal. Kubalik potted 30 once when shooting 19%. He hasn't gotten close to that the last two year. If he's a 10% shooter he's a 20-25 goal-scorer. That's fine but I know absolutely nothing about his two-way game.

I do know he's got a 4M qualifier for the chance of him getting better. I don't like the odds.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I'm not sure why the Isles do that deal. Kubalik potted 30 once when shooting 19%. He hasn't gotten close to that the last two year. If he's a 10% shooter he's a 20-25 goal-scorer. That's fine but I know absolutely nothing about his two-way game.

I do know he's got a 4M qualifier for the chance of him getting better. I don't like the odds.
Still beats the other options from what he listed. It would have to be a guy who they can place into the top 6 that has potential to perform. Realistically it would be another AHL/NHL tweener based on the rest of the deal honestly and there’s no need for more Koivula/MDC/Czarnik/etc in the system.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm inclined to agree.

Mayfield's in a bit of a tough position, TBH.

His major appeal will be to a contending team because of his cap hit. Contending teams often don't have 23-25 year old players for whom it makes sense to move. They of course do have picks & prospects, but if you're shopping with those assets this year, there's A TON of selection, and a lot of 1st round picks already spoken for (Colorado, Carolina, Florida, Calgary, Vegas). If we look at 2021 as, there were only 5 first round picks in total that had changed by the deadline.

As for the suggestions around Vancouver and Boeser -- I just can't see it happening. If Vancouver trades Boeser, I don't think it's for a 29 year old #4 defenceman who's "greatest value" lasts for 1 year... no matter how good a fit he might be for Hughes.

While I'm sure the Canucks would like to have Mayfield, I suspect he'd be a very small portion of what they're looking for if trading Boeser.
I’m thinking it’s either a player in the chl or ncaa who is likely to play next season or someone in the A this year getting their feet wet as a first or second year pro. Don’t think we are looking at a 2021 draftee as an example.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I’m thinking it’s either a player in the chl or ncaa who is likely to play next season or someone in the A this year getting their feet wet as a first or second year pro. Don’t think we are looking at a 2021 draftee as an example.

Trading a player "likely to make the jump" next year, who also has top6f/top4d upside, is always a tough sell, especially for a guy that has somewhat limited upside in Mayfield.

Yes, people will point at the David Savard deal, but I honestly don't believe that holds all that much weight. You had a defending champ, with a glaring hole, that Savard fit perfectly. When they traded the pick, they knew it was going to be extremely late. If a team has drafted and developed somebody that they feel is really close to making an impact, trading him for a #4/5 defenceman is tough, no matter how good his contract is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad