Speculation: Could Scott Mayfield be available?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Paddys Pub

Jul 18, 2016
Port Coquitlam
I could see a deal with Mayfield and Boeser being the major parts. It makes sense for both teams.
Barzal setting up Boeser would be unreal.
Mayfield allowing Hughes to fly all over would be great too.

NYI have to add, but I’m not sure what exactly.
I’m guessing a 2nd

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
That's perfectly fine and a fair take. But then I think the Isles just HAVE to hold onto him and reevaluate next year. I think the Isles are planning to retool. I'm not passing personal judgment on if they should or shouldn't, just stating how I think Lou and Trotz will see it. But I think the point of futures is that it would still be a more manageable currency to use in retool over the players you offered.

Ultimately, it depends on Lou's evaluation of Dermott & Holl and whether he thinks they (or at least, Dermott) holds value as a long term piece for them.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If he’s available I’d certainly pay up for him from the Avs. Would be the perfect partner for Girard and solidify the top 4 and PK going into the playoffs. I’d certainly offer up a 1st+ for him. Not sure exactly what sort of prospects the Isles would want though.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
If he’s available I’d certainly pay up for him from the Avs. Would be the perfect partner for Girard and solidify the top 4 and PK going into the playoffs. I’d certainly offer up a 1st+ for him.
What forward prospect not named Kaut is available?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Ultimately, it depends on Lou's evaluation of Dermott & Holl and whether he thinks they (or at least, Dermott) holds value as a long term piece for them.
If Mayfield is moved, it would be for help up front not a bottom pairing defenseman that ultimately makes the blueline weaker and takes time away from the kids who they’d like to test out. I’d rather see Aho get a real shot then bring in Dermott and Holl is a road cone.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Minnesota needs a guy like him bad. Spurgeon & Addison are small and they could use a big RHD. Dumba to a 3rd team, Mayfield to MN and something decent to NYI makes sense.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What forward prospect not named Kaut is available?
Olausson is probably off limits except if we were to go big name hunting. But I’d say basically all of them. I’d say the one that screams a Trotz player would be Ranta. Biggish guy(6’2 ~200) who can fly and has a lot of nice physical tools. He’s pretty raw though, but Trotz seems like the perfect coach to round out his game.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I don’t think Lou would ask for a first. Look at the Isles roster. It’s not a rebuild situation. They would want someone ready to contribute for next season not in 3 seasons.

I'm inclined to agree.

Mayfield's in a bit of a tough position, TBH.

His major appeal will be to a contending team because of his cap hit. Contending teams often don't have 23-25 year old players for whom it makes sense to move. They of course do have picks & prospects, but if you're shopping with those assets this year, there's A TON of selection, and a lot of 1st round picks already spoken for (Colorado, Carolina, Florida, Calgary, Vegas). If we look at 2021 as, there were only 5 first round picks in total that had changed by the deadline.

As for the suggestions around Vancouver and Boeser -- I just can't see it happening. If Vancouver trades Boeser, I don't think it's for a 29 year old #4 defenceman who's "greatest value" lasts for 1 year... no matter how good a fit he might be for Hughes.

While I'm sure the Canucks would like to have Mayfield, I suspect he'd be a very small portion of what they're looking for if trading Boeser.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Olausson is probably off limits except if we were to go big name hunting. But I’d say basically all of them. I’d say the one that screams a Trotz player would be Ranta. Biggish guy(6’2 ~200) who can fly and has a lot of nice physical tools. He’s pretty raw though, but Trotz seems like the perfect coach to round out his gameZ.
Similar to Koivula who’s played well in the minors however can’t catch a break up with the big club. Would be an interesting piece returning though. It all depends on if Lou wants to move Mayfield and hope to find a suitable replacement or he decides to play it by ear and keep Scott until atleast next trade deadline/summer.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
The Canucks are looking for players (25yrs or under)/ picks/ prospects. So as much as mayfield could be an ok fit, he’s going to be in the wrong side of 30. So garland for mayfield doesn’t exactly make sense for us at this point in time.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Oilers shouldn't ask whether a package of Mayfield and Varlamov is available. They should just start with a high offer and keep going higher until the deal gets done. Quit making excuses for why McDavid has to wait til "next year".

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Oilers shouldn't ask whether a package of Mayfield and Varlamov is available. They should just start with a high offer and keep going higher until the deal gets done. Quit making excuses for why McDavid has to wait til "next year".
What in your opinion would get it done?

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
What in your opinion would get it done?
Neutral fan, so might be way off on Isles' needs/wants, but I'd start with Bourgeault and a 1st. Want Holloway or Broberg instead of Bourgeault? Done. Need Skinner to replace Varlamov as backup? Done(though preference would be to dump Koskinen's cap hit and use Skinner as Varlamov's backup in Edmonton). From Edmonton's end, to hell with nickel and diming over value, and to hell with waiting another year or 2 or 3 for this or that prospect. Pay what it takes to get a deal done.

From Edm's end, I'd still want to move Barrie for cap space and give his ice time to Mayfield.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
If Mayfield is moved, it would be for help up front not a bottom pairing defenseman that ultimately makes the blueline weaker and takes time away from the kids who they’d like to test out. I’d rather see Aho get a real shot then bring in Dermott and Holl is a road cone.
Would a three team trade work?

TOR acquires Scott Mayfield

NYI acquires Justin Holl as a lesser replacement for Scott Mayfield and player X (22-25 year old forward in need of a bigger role)

Third team acquires fair value (picks and/or players) from TOR for player X

Last edited:

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
As others have said, Mayfield wont be moved simply for picks and prospects. Id move him at the deadline/draft/off season if the return was a top 6 wing. I do like the Mayfield and Garland idea.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Would a three team trade work?

TOR acquires Scott Mayfield

NYI acquires Justin Holl as a lesser replacement for Scott Mayfield and player X (22-25 year old forward in need of a bigger role)

Third team acquires fair value (picks and/or players) from TOR for player X
Who is player X though? If it’s another one of those 22-25 AHL/NHL tweeners, the Isles don’t need another one of those either. Holl also has too much term at the moment and would just clog a roster spot/contract space.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Who is player X though? If it’s another one of those 22-25 AHL/NHL tweeners, the Isles don’t need another one of those either. Holl also has too much term at the moment and would just clog a roster spot/contract space.

That's a little contradictory considering that he has the exact same term remaining as Mayfield, at $500k more.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Both Holl and Mayfield's contracts expire after next year. I only suggested him as a replacement for Mayfield for next year only.

I thought Player X could be someone like Kubalik, Tippett, maybe even Kravtsov. Kravtsov might be the only one available though.

So, a serviceable replacement for Holl and a player in Krav who has top 6 upside. Seems like a low risk, high reward move for NYI. Holl is worse than Mayfield but will be good enough for a third pairing. To incentive you to downgrade there, you're being given a player with top 6 upside.

It's completely understandable if you'd prefer a younger player with more NHL experience though. Those were the only names that came to mind for player X but I'm sure there are a few more that might work and aren't from rivals.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Both Holl and Mayfield's contracts expire after next year. I only suggested him as a replacement for Mayfield for next year only.

I thought Player X could be someone like Kubalik, Tippett, maybe even Kravtsov. Kravtsov might be the only one available though.

So, a serviceable replacement for Holl and a player in Krav who has top 6 upside. Seems like a low risk, high reward move for NYI. Holl is worse than Mayfield but will be good enough for a third pairing. To incentive you to downgrade there, you're being given a player with top 6 upside.

It's completely understandable if you'd prefer a younger player with more NHL experience though. Those were the only names that came to mind for player X but I'm sure there are a few more that might work and aren't from rivals.
With the situation in Russia, Kravtsov can stay there and be the Rangers headache. Kubalik would be interesting however I can’t see Chicago moving him unless Toronto plans on giving up that first rounder in return because Lou sure isn’t. Tippett is basically trending in the AHL/NHL tweener stage and has been pushed back further in the depth chart by Florida.
As for Holl, he’s not even close to a suitable replacement. He’s at best a #6 and why move out what works to downgrade? The Islanders would be much better off nixing Toronto from the equation and trying to deal directly with Chicago in this case. If the Islanders move Mayfield, they’d be looking at a blueline next season of: Pelech-Pulock, Salo-Dobson, Aho-Hutton. Not much experience in the bottom 6 but Hutton showed promise in his stint on a Covid-ravaged blueline. That’s much better then the turnstile that you’ve offered for Mayfield.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
With the situation in Russia, Kravtsov can stay there and be the Rangers headache. Kubalik would be interesting however I can’t see Chicago moving him unless Toronto plans on giving up that first rounder in return because Lou sure isn’t. Tippett is basically trending in the AHL/NHL tweener stage and has been pushed back further in the depth chart by Florida.
As for Holl, he’s not even close to a suitable replacement. He’s at best a #6 and why move out what works to downgrade? The Islanders would be much better off nixing Toronto from the equation and trying to deal directly with Chicago in this case. If the Islanders move Mayfield, they’d be looking at a blueline next season of: Pelech-Pulock, Salo-Dobson, Aho-Hutton. Not much experience in the bottom 6 but Hutton showed promise in his stint on a Covid-ravaged blueline. That’s much better then the turnstile that you’ve offered for Mayfield.
That’s fine. I’m sure Toronto could find another take for Holl.

Kubalik (former 30 goal scorer, RFA) is more valuable than Mayfield so I think the Isles would need to be parting with more than just him to get Kubalik. Maybe a third? Toronto would have to cover the rest of the return for Kubalik.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
That’s fine. I’m sure Toronto could find another take for Holl.

Kubalik (former 30 goal scorer, RFA) is more valuable than Mayfield so I think the Isles would need to be parting with more than just him to get Kubalik. Maybe a third? Toronto would have to cover the rest of the return for Kubalik.
Mayfield and a 3rd for Kubalik would be doable but I can’t see Chicago taking that deal honestly unless the prospect is worth it for them.

BiggBird

Dec 30, 2018
Would the Islander consider a deal built around Brock Boeser or Garland from the Canucks? This would help solve the issuse the Canucks face since Tanev left.

I think value for both sides is fair for the most part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad