Speculation: Could Scott Mayfield be available?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I'm definitely beating a dead horse here but hopefully I make some sense.

I'll summarize my points here but feel free to read the full version below:
  • It's a lost season for the Islanders
  • Mayfield is a valuable assets with 1.5 years left with a 1.45 Million AAV
  • The Islanders have two very capable defensemen to play the right side already(Pulock, Dobson)
  • With those two, I assume Mayfield would be playing on the third pairing next season
  • They would get more value in a trade now than if they were to deal him at next year's deadline
  • Mayfield's value might be similar to Blake Coleman's in 2019, who got a first and a B prospect
  • What kind of prospect would the Isles be looking for?
I think the Islanders would be wise to consider moving Scott Mayfield at this year's deadline. He is on a good deal and the extra year will fetch them more assets in a trade now, as opposed to what they would get at next year's deadline. Moreover, the Islanders' right side is looking good with Pulock and Dobson, who has proven that he can shoulder more responsibility. They would need a third pairing defensemen next season but surely they can find one in free agency that Trotz can mold into his system, or perhaps they look for a replacement internally. I don't want to call Mayfield expendable because he is a valuable player, but the Islanders' situation on the right side allows them take advantage of his value.

With that being said, placing a value on Scott Mayfield is difficult. I think it would be reasonable to look at the Blake Coleman trade. With 1.5 seasons left on his deal, he fetched a first round pick and Nolan Foote, who was selected 27th overall in the 2019 draft. Like Mayfield, Coleman was paid below market value and played a coveted style of hockey that would translate well in the playoffs. Whether Mayfield is more valuable that Coleman is up for debate, but I do think the value isn't off by much, if at all.

What do Isles fans think of this? Would you be willing to part ways with Mayfield if it returned a first round pick and a prospect? What kind of prospects would you be looking for (e.g. C, RW, LW, D, G)?

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
I'd be okay with it but it certainly would not be cheap at all. If there is no bidding war, no reason to bother. Isles may as well retain him for next season if the offer isn't sufficient.

Reactions: periferal

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Given the contracts that have been handed out, I don't foresee Lou wanting draft picks as I think he believes this was an off year with the long road trip to start the season and Covid. If he can get a young player who can be on their roster next season that can contribute, I think he would definately consider making a hockey trade. So a prospect/young player is the priority over a 1st round pick and a lower end prospect that they have to wait for.

He's going to have to pay Dobson this off-season. Figure it's a $6 mill aav or something around there. So the right side would already be at a $12 mill cap hit for the top 2 guys plus Pelech on the left side. Doubt they would extend Mayfield for the kind of money he would seek as a free agent, so if they kept him, next season would likely be his last with the Isles unless they opt to play him on the left side. Not sure how Trotz rolls his D.

Certainly does not need to move him, as it would take a very good offer to do so.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Think the isles keep him and retool a bit for next year
I haven't watched the Isles, but looking at capfriendly, they have him at career earnings of $6.7 mill so far, so will surpass $7 mill by the end of the season. Next year he's due $2 mill so he will have made over $9 mill when he hits UFA at 30 and would turn 31 in October next year. So, that's his last shot at a big contract. What would he get on his next deal? $10 mill over 4 years? More/Less? If he stays around the $2 mill range then I could see Lou and the Isles keeping him. Their best RHD prospect is who? Bode Wilde? Anyone else?

Jan 21, 2018
I haven't watched the Isles, but looking at capfriendly, they have him at career earnings of $6.7 mill so far, so will surpass $7 mill by the end of the season. Next year he's due $2 mill so he will have made over $9 mill when he hits UFA at 30 and would turn 31 in October next year. So, that's his last shot at a big contract. What would he get on his next deal? $10 mill over 4 years? More/Less? If he stays around the $2 mill range then I could see Lou and the Isles keeping him. Their best RHD prospect is who? Bode Wilde? Anyone else?

Exactly, it’s pretty reasonable to assume that mayfield wants to get paid after being on a dirt cheap contract.

We all know Uncle Lou isn’t going to win any bidding wars with all the overpaid contracts on the Isles.

And I can’t remember the last time a big name FA signed with the Islanders. The closest thing I remember is Panarin using the Isles as leverage so he could sign with the Rangers lmao

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Extension wise or next contract he will probably be around $4 to $4.5 million aav
All I mean by keeping him is retool in the offseason and see if the team bounces back

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Extension wise or next contract he will probably be around $4 to $4.5 million aav
All I mean by keeping him is retool in the offseason and see if the team bounces back
And if the team bounces back, then they accept that he's a rental for them and gone at the end of the season.

If they can get a good prospect/young player who can play next season, that's probably the ideal scenario for the Isles if they move him. I don't see picks being the trade target for Lou.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
And if the team bounces back, then they accept that he's a rental for them and gone at the end of the season.

If they can get a good prospect/young player who can play next season, that's probably the ideal scenario for the Isles if they move him. I don't see picks being the trade target for Lou.
Agreed

Box Score Watcher

Nov 13, 2021
Exactly, it’s pretty reasonable to assume that mayfield wants to get paid after being on a dirt cheap contract.

We all know Uncle Lou isn’t going to win any bidding wars with all the overpaid contracts on the Isles.

And I can’t remember the last time a big name FA signed with the Islanders. The closest thing I remember is Panarin using the Isles as leverage so he could sign with the Rangers lmao
They were fortunate enough to dodge the Tavares contract bullet at least. That right there was a big win for Lou

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They were fortunate enough to dodge the Tavares contract bullet at least. That right there was a big win for Lou
Isles now have a permanent home and not trying to make it work in an nba arena. Can be a player in free agency. Rangers still hold the glamour but the isles are no longer playing out of an old barn in Nassau.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
It would have to be a tremendous overpay, like a 1st from a team not expected to get out of the first round plus a quality prospect. Can't see any team forking that over.

The only way it could happen is if the Isles landed a really good top 4 LD and they decide to start Pelech/Pulock, Acquisition/Dobson 23 minutes a game and have a third pair play minimal minutes. Just don't see it happening.

Reactions: miscs75

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
In my opinion, the Isles should be shopping him in a bid to get a little younger.

As other posters have mentioned, not for picks, but with his extra year at a silly cap hit, they might be able to find a player in that 23-26 range that has a few years of contract and/or control still remaining.

Personally, I think the Leafs could be an interesting partner, although there may be some bad blood there where Lou doesn't want to trade with Toronto.

Maybe you do something around Dermott & Holl for Mayfield & Chara.

Islanders get a Mayfield-replacement on the 3rd pair for next year, at $500k more money, and a guy in Dermott that certainly needs a change of scenery / could still pan out to be a quality top 4 defenceman on the left side.

Holl likely a little cheaper to extend, but also "less of a loss" versus Mayfield going UFA.

On the Leafs side, you get a couple of big bodies to mix in with Rielly/Brodie/Sandin/Liljegren.

Last edited:

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Considering the offers that people have made on here, I can’t see him getting moved. Too many bad contracts being dumped on the islanders.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
In my opinion, the Isles should be shopping him in a bid to get a little younger.

As other posters have mentioned, not for picks, but with his extra year at a silly cap hit, they might be able to find a player in that 23-26 range that has a few years of contract and/or control still remaining.

Personally, I think the Leafs could be an interesting partner, although there may be some bad blood there where Lou doesn't want to trade with Toronto.

Maybe you do something around Dermott & Holl for Mayfield & Chara.

Islanders get a Mayfield-replacement on the 3rd pair for next year, at $500k more money, and a guy in Dermott that certainly needs a change of scenery / could still pan out to be a quality top 4 defenceman on the left side.

Holl likely a little cheaper to extend, but also "less of a loss" versus Mayfield going UFA.

On the Leafs side, you get a couple of big bodies to mix in with Rielly/Brodie/Sandin/Liljegren.

Lou has a fine relationship with Dubas. He wouldn't have a problem trading with him and has done so before. But any deal involving a player with proven top 4 RHD quality minutes in the playoffs will return a first round pick and more*. Even Mayfield's extra year is an additional positive for any acquiring team. That's two eligible playoff runs at under 2M.

*David Savard to Tampa as a recent comparable.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Mayfield and a 2nd for Garland?

Mayfield and a first for Boeser?
Correct position but wrong player that the Canucks have that the Islanders can use.

*completely missed the Boeser part but that’s who I’d expect Lou to target.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If the Islanders suck again next year he will be available, but unless Lou's socks are knocked the f*** off they will hold onto him and try and rebound next season.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Lou has a fine relationship with Dubas. He wouldn't have a problem trading with him and has done so before. But any deal involving a player with proven top 4 RHD quality minutes in the playoffs will return a first round pick and more*. Even Mayfield's extra year is an additional positive for any acquiring team. That's two eligible playoff runs at under 2M.

*David Savard to Tampa as a recent comparable.

I'd question whether Mayfield can garner a 1st, simply because of this year's market and so many premier defencemen better than he is being available. Not often that an entire conference's 8 playoff teams are seemingly decided in January.

That being said, the entire premise of trading Mayfield (IMO) would not be to get "futures" because the Islanders are rebuilding, but rather, assets towards a retool -- namely guys that can contribute both next year, and over a longer haul.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Mayfield and a 2nd for Garland?

Mayfield and a first for Boeser?

Mayfield and a 2nd for Garland would be a good fit for the isles. I think Garland would be great with Barzal, and the isles can afford to move Mayfield as they have Pulock and Dobson on the right side.

Reactions: SI

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I'd question whether Mayfield can garner a 1st, simply because of this year's market and so many premier defencemen better than he is being available. Not often that an entire conference's 8 playoff teams are seemingly decided in January.

That being said, the entire premise of trading Mayfield (IMO) would not be to get "futures" because the Islanders are rebuilding, but rather, assets towards a retool -- namely guys that can contribute both next year, and over a longer haul.

That's perfectly fine and a fair take. But then I think the Isles just HAVE to hold onto him and reevaluate next year. I think the Isles are planning to retool. I'm not passing personal judgment on if they should or shouldn't, just stating how I think Lou and Trotz will see it. But I think the point of futures is that it would still be a more manageable currency to use in retool over the players you offered.

Reactions: SI

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I don’t think Lou would ask for a first. Look at the Isles roster. It’s not a rebuild situation. They would want someone ready to contribute for next season not in 3 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad