Speculation: Could Patrick Kane be a trade target?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Just thinking to myself of a Georgiev for Fluery type deal and I took a look at the contracts and realized Kane has two years left on his contract. With the Blackhawks rebuilding, I wonder if Kane would want to be sent to a contender for another shot at a cup. On the contrary, he’s got his cups with the Hawks so I can see him likely wanting to retire a Hawk.

Can we see Kane be dealt for young guys, be sent to a contender and have a chance for a big last contract on a winning team?

I love the idea of Kane being on a line with Panarin since they had serious chemistry when they were teammates. And the Rangers have the assets to make it happen especially if the Hawks were to retain salary, if they want to go for a cup run.

What’s the likely hood the Hawks look for assets during their rebuild before Kane’s contract runs out?

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Cant see it this year, maybe next year @ TDL. Trade him, let him have another run at a cup and resign in the offseason

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
And how many times have we seen teams retain 50% for that length of time? Not trying to be a dick, it's just unrealistic to me.
I understand ya haha. I just think it’s 2 years that Chicago isn’t competitive so it won’t matter. Trading Kane at 10m will be harder and won’t demand as much in returning value.

At 50% retained they can demand 2 top prospects, two 1sts, maybe a decent young nhl regular that has some potential. So it can help Chicago’s rebuild.

For example

TO NYR: Patrick Kane (50% retained)
TO CHI: Zac Jones + Vitali Kravstov + Filip Chytil + 22’ FRP, & 23 FRP (Top-3 protected conditional)

Last edited:

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I'd actually love him on Detroit, still not contenders this year with him but playoff appearance becomes more realistic. Wouldn't need any retainment but price still likely too steep for Wings

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
I understand ya haha. I just think it’s 2 years that Chicago isn’t competitive so it won’t matter. Trading Kane at 10m will be harder and won’t demand as much in returning value.

At 50% retained they can demand 2 top prospects, two 1sts, maybe a decent young nhl regular that has some potential. So it can help Chicago’s rebuild.

For example

TO NYR: Patrick Kane (50% retained)
TO CHI: Zac Jones + Vitali Kravstov + Filip Chytil + 22’ FRP, & 23 FRP (Top-3 protected conditional)

Not a fan of this from Chicago’s perspective. If we’re retaining 50% for a year and a half, I’d want a better prospect like Kakko with those two 1sts. Not really a fan of any of those guys you mentioned above except Kravtsov, and I don’t see his value being THAT high.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I could see Chicago retaining, this year is a lost cause so it would only really be a full year of retention.
Reading some comments here though, 2 x 1sts and 2 top prospects? get serious.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
It'd cost a ton with half his salary retained for this season and next, but I can certainly see him wanting to be back on a contender.

Again though, it'd cost a ton for a team to get him. Which should at least ease the pain of losing him a bit.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It’s certainly an interesting debate. We all like when our stars stay for their whole career, but dealing Kane at 50% retained would potentially be one of the biggest returns in NHL history. If you’re getting him for over a year and a half, you can justify a major price tag. The kind that would have a huge impact on Chicago retooling

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Just my observation of what I see potentially happening in Chicago. At this point in the season Chicago would need to go on a serious run and magically start scoring at will to even ponder the thought of keeping this group of players.

Chicago needs to blow up this team and I see the interim GM auditioning to show Rocky he is the perfect guy to complete that obvious task or at least being the guy who cleans house and allows a new GM a fresh start.

Kane is the only player who can bring a significant return back.

If I'm the Gm. Here is my list of players I'm moving.
Kane
Toews
Kubalik
Strome
Fleury
Murphy
De haan

Stan truly screwed this orginization up , fans were to busy watching Chicago winning while stan was bringing in through free agency or via draft picks awful talent and purging any future assets.

Dach amd reichel are solid young future pieces . You clear out anyone who can bring in high prospects and multiple draft picks to rebuild Rockford with a plethora of hopeful top 6 talent and high end elite defensive prospects and goalies

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't see it. The Seth Jones trade was a sign that their team is looking to push for a playoff run. They're trying to be competitive.

If they choose to pick in the 1st round this year, it'll be next year's pick that goes to the Jackets. It's really not in their best interest to tank.

Last edited:

likash

Apr 17, 2019
I can see him going to the Kings. Hollywood Kane will take over the league. :D

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think you need a better understanding of how the salary cap and no movement clauses work. It’s not happening for the Rangers.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I would say most teams would want the whole Beach situation resolved before trading for Toews/Kane. If they were proven to of “known” they will be canceled likely and team will be cornered into buying them out of whatever

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I would like to see him get another kick at a cup for sure. Rangers seem a good fit with retention

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad