Post-Game Talk: Cougar

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Can someone come up with a good reason not to insert Wheeler besides “he’s slow”? Kakko is slow. Vesey is slow. Wheeler has 900+ NHL points and is the most fresh body on either team. Would be an injustice to sit Ros who has been a factor in both series. In a just world Kakko rides the pine….again. Just telling it like it is right now.
He hasn't played in 3 months and he wasn't that good when he played. Yes, his old legs are fresh but being inserted into an intense ECF playoff game after not playing for so long can be challenging. Chytil's legs are fresh after 6 months of not playing. It hasn't helped him so far.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
No, they are not. They are top 4 guys on nearly every roster in the league. The Rangers blueline was also 3rd in the league in scoring this year. Hard to do when you have Fox and nobody else. None of those bluelines you mentioned are that great btw. Florida is good, not great.
To each his own. As I’ve said, Miller and Schneider have performed admirably, but I’d be very curious to know your perception of them if they were 30-year-old defensemen we signed for a year during the summer instead of homegrown kids.

Or we could just argue about Matt Rempe and wonder when Chytil is going to get hurt.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
He hasn't played in 3 months and he wasn't that good when he played. Yes, his old legs are fresh but being inserted into an intense ECF playoff game after not playing for so long can be challenging. Chytil's legs are fresh after 6 months of not playing. It hasn't helped him so far.
Wheeler has a high hockey IQ, he's been a lot of playoff games. I realize he's half the player he once was physically. but this is a series where his size and strength can help.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
To each his own. As I’ve said, Miller and Schneider have performed admirably, but I’d be very curious to know your perception of them if they were 30-year-old defensemen we signed for a year during the summer instead of homegrown kids.
Apples and oranges. I'm happy with both of them because they are young and still have upside. I also like when they are paired together. They are a bona fide 2nd pair in this league. All the Rangers need to do is upgrade opposite Fox and give Jones a real chance on the 3rd pair and they have a very good blueline. The big question is are they ready to move on from Trouba.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Apples and oranges. I'm happy with both of them because they are young and still have upside. I also like when they are paired together. They are a bona fide 2nd pair in this league. All the Rangers need to do is upgrade opposite Fox and give Jones a real chance on the 3rd pair and they have a very good blueline. The big question is are they ready to move on from Trouba.
Let me rephrase my opinion: if we had a #2-3 defenseman who could anchor the second pair or play with Fox, I’d feel much more comfortable. It sucks that Trouba is literally supposed to be that, but at the time I guess they didn’t know how good Fox would be (if he was even in the organization then, I can’t remember).

It’s too easy for teams to just dump the puck in and cause chaos in our d-zone with a forecheck.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Wheeler has a high hockey IQ, he's been a lot of playoff games. I realize he's half the player he once was physically. but this is a series where his size and strength can help.
I saw none of that physicality and IQ this season. I saw an old guy trying his best but a shell of his former self. I was a big fan of the signing also. I just saw nothing to think he would make much of a difference in this series. I guess it's worth a shot since the bottom 6 has been MIA for the most part but I wouldn't expect much.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
No, they are not. They are top 4 guys on nearly every roster in the league. The Rangers blueline was also 3rd in the league in scoring this year. Hard to do when you have Fox and nobody else. None of those bluelines you mentioned are that great btw. Florida is good, not great.

LOL and people say I'm negative. The Panthers must really suck barely mustering a chance against five 6s and an injured Fox.

Edit: And in case it's not obvious I'm agreeing with you.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Let me rephrase my opinion: if we had a #2-3 defenseman who could anchor the second pair or play with Fox, I’d feel much more comfortable. It sucks that Trouba is literally supposed to be that, but at the time I guess they didn’t know how good Fox would be (if he was even in the organization then, I can’t remember).

It’s too easy for teams to just dump the puck in and cause chaos in our d-zone with a forecheck.
Trouba is a problem but they can move him this off season and I'm sure there will be a team interested. This team was also 7th out of 32 teams in GA/G this year. Goaltending had a lot to do with that but the overall defense is not that bad. Florida had 1 legit goal last night.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I’m not even totally concerned about keeping the puck out of the net this series. The big question is how are the rangers going to muster up enough offense to be able to win games. I know they had some decent looks last night but outside of the wennberg opportunity nothing made bob move side to side and scramble around. How can the rangers pull Florida out of their zone is going to be the big question that has to be answered. Even more so than how they breakdown their forecheck.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Cmon people. It’s not supposed to be easy. I’m going heavy tomorrow. Increasing the chips on each team at +120. You only live once.

Reactions: Gordon Bombay

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
LOL and people say I'm negative. The Panthers must really suck barely mustering a chance against five 6s and an injured Fox.

Edit: And in case it's not obvious I'm agreeing with you.
This board is the most negative I have ever been a part of and the Rangers are the best team that I root for. It's exhausting. Fans of the Jets and Mets actually have a legit gripe looking at the results and decades of incompetence. The Rangers have been to 5 conference finals in the last 12 years and had the best record in the league this year.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This board is the most negative I have ever been a part of and the Rangers are the best team that I root for. It's exhausting. Fans of the Jets and Mets actually have a legit gripe looking at the results and decades of incompetence. The Rangers have been to 5 conference finals in the last 12 years and had the best record in the league this year.

To be fair it's really tiring not winning a championship even with relative success and most years it seems like they're not quite good enough.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I’m not even totally concerned about keeping the puck out of the net this series. The big question is how are the rangers going to muster up enough offense to be able to win games. I know they had some decent looks last night but outside of the wennberg opportunity nothing made bob move side to side and scramble around. How can the rangers pull Florida out of their zone is going to be the big question that has to be answered. Even more so than how they breakdown their forecheck.
Florida also gives up it's share of odd man rushes and the Rangers had a few and hit a post and a crossbar that Bob was clearly beat on and would have tied things. They need to find a way to create more traffic though. They have the skill to make some plays.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
We haven't gotten anything from anybody but our top 6 (PP1 and Laf) with the possible exception of Jack. So what harm could adding Wheeler to the mix?

Reactions: Guyute

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Florida also gives up it's share of odd man rushes and the Rangers had a few and hit a post and a crossbar that Bob was clearly beat on and would have tied things. They need to find a way to create more traffic though. They have the skill to make some plays.
Do they? The rangers had 2 or 3 all game including the breakaways. Rangers won’t be able to count on that like they did against Carolina.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
To be fair it's really tiring not winning a championship even with relative success and most years it seems like they're not quite good enough.
Because it's really really hard to win the cup. I would rather be a final 4 team with a shot than no chance. This team actually has a chance but there are 3 other teams who do as well. Dallas has won 1 cup and that was 25 years ago. Edmonton hasn't won since 1990. Florida has never won it. It's hard and there are plenty of other fanbases with much longer droughts and those teams have no shot.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Because it's really really hard to win the cup. I would rather be a final 4 team with a shot than no chance. This team actually has a chance but there are 3 other teams who do as well. Dallas has won 1 cup and that was 25 years ago. Edmonton hasn't won since 1990. Florida has never won it. It's hard and there are plenty of other fanbases with much longer droughts and those teams have no shot.
In the 2010s we played more playoff games than teams who won multiple cups. We got nothing to show for ALL those playoff games we played, series we won. "Always a bridesmaid never a bride" stuff.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
In the 2010s we played more playoff games than teams who won multiple cups. We got nothing to show for ALL those playoff games we played, series we won. "Always a bridesmaid never a bride" stuff.
They still went to multiple ECF's and the finals. Obviously the cup is the ultimate prize but what they did is still something. It's better than having no shot.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Trust the experience over the young skill guy with head injuries

Reactions: dieselbaby and NikC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad