OT: Coronavirus XXXXII: Mixing Vaccines and Aiming for Herd Immunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
And I don't think it will just be Canada that develops a vaccine passport or some type of proof. I can see a lot of countries doing it, so even if we didn't (and saved money and police), you may have to do it to go elsewhere. No one wants the virus introduced into their countries by travellers again.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Guessing we will go the Manitoba route and offer some incentives. Whatever it is that the 20-29 crowd is into.

Reactions: oilers'72

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
And I don't think it will just be Canada that develops a vaccine passport or some type of proof. I can see a lot of countries doing it, so even if we didn't (and saved money and police), you may have to do it to go elsewhere. No one wants the virus introduced into their countries by travellers again.
If you give up your rights for temporary safety you deserve neither.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
How are you going to tell if the documentation is legit?

Likely on the same premise that we use for just about everything, some form of certificate, digital or otherwise is presented, and we rely on the honesty of most people like always.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Unfortunately my level of political activism has had to sky rocket in the last 5years. Which is difficult when you don’t like any parties.
It's not about political activism. It's about dealing with reality in the world. And the fact that nearly 70 % of people have taken the vaccine and climbing, puts you in the minority. What are you going to do, a sit down at the airport, lock yourself to a garbage can and protest when they don't let you on a plane?

Reactions: McDoused

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Soooo close, come on people!

Kinda hope that Kenney says screw you to all the people who cancelled their appts once they thought it was a given that we would hit 70% with existing bookings, and says it’s now 75%, and then say he was just kidding once we hit 75%. :)

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
It's not about political activism. It's about dealing with reality in the world. And the fact that nearly 70 % of people have taken the vaccine and climbing, puts you in the minority. What are you going to do, a sit down at the airport, lock yourself to a garbage can and protest when they don't let you on a plane?
What makes you think private planes aren’t flying in and out of Edmonton every day?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Except for those who don’t play by the rules.

Same group that always does. Small %. Just keep the majority of visitors out a little while longer till we are sure we are out of this mess, and we have decent full vaccination numbers. Should be fine by Sept.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
This is a precursor for a social credit system. You are most definitely correct to suggest it will not only be Canada. Any global leader to utter the phrase: "Build Back Better" has/will endorse "vaccine passports."

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
Virtue signaling is a vaccine benefit.

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton

You should give occupational health and safety a call and also a lawyer. You will be shocked at how far off you are. This isn’t coming from someone against the vaccine either, I got both my shots. You will be surprised at what they actually won’t be able to implement in Canada.

Reactions: pratt and oilers'72

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
This is a precursor for a social credit system. You are most definitely correct to suggest it will not only be Canada. Any global leader to utter the phrase: "Build Back Better" has/will endorse "vaccine passports."
Is there something wrong with build back better? I mean that has been a very important concept for ages in disaster risk management. Prevention - preparedness - X - response - build back better (should be a circle). It is not something new that has come along with covid19, it's part of how we deal with disasters and it has been long before this pandemic. Earthquake destroys buildings, you build back better with better material, connects with prevention/preparedness.

pratt

Oct 8, 2019
Edmonton
Is there something wrong with build back better? I mean that has been a very important concept for ages in disaster risk management. Prevention - preparedness - X - response - build back better (should be a circle). It is not something new that has come along with covid19, it's part of how we deal with disasters and it has been long before this pandemic. Earthquake destroys buildings, you build back better with better material, connects with prevention/preparedness.
Let’s see what our Prime Minister has to say about it...
https://twitter.com/jonathan_witt/status/1327992732657258497?s=21

For some reason, I have a hard time trusting politicians who want to use the pandemic as an opportunity to reset and reimagine the economic systems of Canada.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Let’s see what our Prime Minister has to say about it...

For some reason, I have a hard time trusting politicians who want to use the pandemic as an opportunity to reset and reimagine the economic systems of Canada.

OK, but again build back better is one of the corner stones in disaster risk management. It is something that you always do once the response-part after a disaster has struck is winding down. On a lower administrative level I can guarantee you that all are using that term, regardless of their opinions or political affiliation, because it is part of the real job moving forward for many people involved. This is (partly) how you increase your preparedness for potential future pandemics (or any disaster). This time there was a global scale disaster, so it is used at the very highest level. If you want to talk about specific measures they are taking which in your opinion is not building back better then that is another matter, but BBB is exactly what lots of people involved in Gov/Admin/Organisations should be thinking about right about now.

Last edited:

pratt

Oct 8, 2019
Edmonton
OK, but again build back better is one of the corner stones in disaster risk management. It is something that you always do once the response-part after a disaster has struck is winding down. On a lower administrative level I can guarantee you that all are using that term, regardless of their opinions or political affiliation, because it is part of the real job moving forward for many people involved. This is (partly) how you increase your preparedness for potential future pandemics (or any disaster). This time there was a global scale disaster, so it is used at the very highest level. If you want to talk about specific measures they are taking which in your opinion is not building back better then that is another matter, but BBB is exactly what lots of people involved in Gov/Admin/Organisations should be thinking about right about now.
I didn’t want to extend the scope of my answer to more than canada, and even that was a stretch, as this thread is for local c-virus chit chat.
I’ll just say you should look into what the World Economic Forum has to say about Building Back Better, its tenets such as “you’ll owning nothing and be happy about it”. And then see if Trudeau is a participating member of their yearly events, going so far as delivering a keynote speech there in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad