OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Part II (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I felt like I was in the episode of Seinfeld where George plays frogger on the street trying to avoid everybody. I'd walk as far away from people as possible.
Walking is perfectly safe and I've been doing it a lot just to do something. I strongly recommend it.

Sitting around interacting is dangerous.

My goal is to not literally sit down anywhere but my house or car. No public travel, no visits, shopping for essentials is in and out.

wowitsanicecity

Nov 29, 2005
He did, but I don't consider that particularly praiseworthy. WHO recommendations shouldn't be the barometer for whether or not it was done quickly enough. I don't expect the President of the United States to defer to the United Nations regarding matters of national security -- and he didn't, but was still not aggressive enough, in my opinion.

Of course China's handling is far more problematic. I have seen praise given to China in this thread which baffles me. The President initially praised China as well, but he has completely soured on that as the picture has become more clear. They absolutely covered it up for at least a month, which means we had unfettered travel to and from China for two months while this was going on. The way China handled Dr. Li Wenliang who blew the whistle early and later died of the virus is evidence enough.

I agree with you that it could have and should have been done sooner, but the misinformation coming out of China was what prevented that.

The point I was trying to make was that some here are claiming that Trump has done nothing but he at least took this important action before anyone else was suggesting it, even if you think it was not soon enough and that is valid argument, others were criticizing him at the time that he was wrong to take that step. For people to say he has done nothing is just not true. If he really did nothing he would have never even have taken this action when he did and the situation would be much worse.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Spot on. All our of politicians are failing us because politics, over the last several decades, has become all about scoring cheap points against opponents and has little to do with helping American citizens at this point.

We're doomed from that aspect in general, but Trump's lack of curiosity regarding the massive bureaucracy at his disposal for the last 3 years, and his incompetence when it comes to mobilizing it, is the biggest driver for why this thing has gotten so out of control

The one thing I'll say is I've never liked Cuomo very much but he seems bound and determined to get as much of the medical equipment as he can to deal with this. I appreciate that. I have two brothers and if either one of them winds up with it they're both dead and both my brothers are very conservative. One had a major blood clot issue last year and can't sleep in a bed because of breathing problems--he sleeps mostly in a chair. The other is a two time cancer survivor. I don't know what actually dying is but I've had enough experience the last several years of family members dying that I know exactly what that means. It's not pleasant and it leaves a vacuum in your life and if either one of them does die because of this I am going to hold Trump personally responsible. His criminal incompetence has made this lots worse than it needed to be.

This is a moment when we need political leaders who can actually rise to the occasion. That should start with whoever is the POTUS. This one really is only worried about himself and is not up to the job. Unfortunately I don't think Biden is either. I also fear that we're going to be the next Italy.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The one thing I'll say is I've never liked Cuomo very much but he seems bound and determined to get as much of the medical equipment as he can to deal with this. I appreciate that. I have two brothers and if either one of them winds up with it they're both dead and both my brothers are very conservative. One had a major blood clot issue last year and can't sleep in a bed because of breathing problems--he sleeps mostly in a chair. The other is a two time cancer survivor. I don't know what actually dying is but I've had enough experience the last several years of family members dying that I know exactly what that means. It's not pleasant and it leaves a vacuum in your life and if either one of them does die because of this I am going to hold Trump personally responsible. His criminal incompetence has made this lots worse than it needed to be.

This is a moment when we need political leaders who can actually rise to the occasion. That should start with whoever is the POTUS. This one really is only worried about himself and is not up to the job. Unfortunately I don't think Biden is either. I also fear that we're going to be the next Italy.

I always thought Cuomo was a product of nepotism, but he's doing a great job considering the very difficult headwinds.

I shutter every time when I think how this country wound up with Trump, Biden, and Sanders as it's final 3 candidates for President in 2020. Its really....just bad. That said, I at least think Biden will surround himself with solid people and be open to letting the experts do their thing, which is more than I can say about the current occupants in the White House.

I wish the best for your brothers. In the end, this is all about trying to maintain health and happiness.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I was following the libertarian candidate for governor, forget his name and he basically trashed Cuomo every chance he got. But right now I'm glad we have him.

Reactions: Maximus

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

The same "network" who claimed Coronavirus was a "hoax" and a conspiracy by the Democrats.

Kharma

Yikes. Because they said something wrong it’s fun to make fun of them now and say Karma. What if they die? What if they transmit it to there significant other and they die? Is it still funny? You’re better than this RB.

Reactions: bl02

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So my dad told me you can get tested without having symptoms. Apparently someone got tested because he came in contact with someone who tested it. But reading this thread I thought I read that wasn't the case. So I called the health care system of the office my dad gave me the address for and they said you can only test if you were hospitalized. But that doesn't seem right either. All the confirmed cases in NY HAVEN'T been hospitalized. What's the deal?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Friend has it with his fiancé. They were in contact with someone 10 days ago who had it.

Both showing zero symptoms at all. Doctor said about 50% of those who have been testing positive have shown no symptoms. So while the infected numbers are so high, there are a ton of people within those numbers who have been fine.

that is really what makes it such a big problem...you could be infected with little to no symptoms, you feel fine and don't know that you are spreading it infecting other people who might not be as lucky. the ideal solution is to get everyone tested and isolate the people infected but clearly thats not going to happen.

Reactions: GordonGecko

KFC

May 24, 2004
Long Island
So my dad told me you can get tested without having symptoms. Apparently someone got tested because he came in contact with someone who tested it. But reading this thread I thought I read that wasn't the case. So I called the health care system of the office my dad gave me the address for and they said you can only test if you were hospitalized. But that doesn't seem right either. All the confirmed cases in NY HAVEN'T been hospitalized. What's the deal?

So I'm a physician in another state but I'm pretty sure they are following the same guidelines as my state when it comes to testing.

from the CDC recommendations for clinicians:
"Clinicians should use their judgment to determine if a patient has signs and symptoms compatible with COVID-19 and whether the patient should be tested. Most patients with confirmed COVID-19 have developed fever and/or symptoms of acute respiratory illness (e.g., cough, difficulty breathing). Priorities for testing may include:
  1. Hospitalized patients who have signs and symptoms compatible with COVID-19 in order to inform decisions related to infection control.
  2. Other symptomatic individuals such as, older adults and individuals with chronic medical conditions and/or an immunocompromised state that may put them at higher risk for poor outcomes (e.g., diabetes, heart disease, receiving immunosuppressive medications, chronic lung disease, chronic kidney disease).
  3. Any persons including healthcare personnel who within 14 days of symptom onset had close contact with a suspect or laboratory-confirmed4 COVID-19 patient, or who have a history of travel from affected geographic areas within 14 days of their symptom onset."
Basically unless you are sick enough to be hospitalized or some kind of healthcare worker you probably aren't being tested. If it seems possible you have it but the symptoms aren't severe enough to require hospitalization they are just recommending self isolation seeing as how a positive test won't change management other than the person not needing to self isolate.

Also I'm not quite sure I understood your last question? There a lot of confirmed hospitalized patients and a lot of confirmed cases that have already died in the hospital.

Last edited:

KFC

May 24, 2004
Long Island
Found this from yesterday.

View media item 7503
covid-19-03202020.pdf

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Yikes. Because they said something wrong it’s fun to make fun of them now and say Karma. What if they die? What if they transmit it to there significant other and they die? Is it still funny? You’re better than this RB.
They "said something wrong"...? Like they mischaracterized a high stick that was actually the player's own stick? Are you kidding me?!?!?

I understand that people have political leanings. I understand that they have thrown their support behind one party/candidate or another. And I understand that it's difficult to shift from those positions once they're set, especially in the recent political environment. But the facts are plain. Stark, for crying out loud. And they're going to get much, much worse.

It's not fun. I don't want anyone to die. God knows I don't. BUT PEOPLE NEED TO STOP GETTING THEIR "NEWS" FROM THESE PEOPLE, BECAUSE FOR THREE MONTHS THEY DOWNPLAYED AN IMPENDING PANDEMIC IN THE NAME OF POLITICS.

I have long disliked Andrew Cuomo because I have believed he was a cynically political creature, who cared more about power and elections than actual policy – despite the fact that for the most part he has instituted programs I support. But damn if he isn't stepping up in the current moment. Why can't Trump do the same?

For Chrissakes, the President STILL hasn't executed the Production Defense Act (despite claiming repeatedly over the last three days that he had). Why in God's name not?

My "baby" brother is an ICU doctor in a city that is projected to be 3 days to a week behind NYC in terms of the surge. He is putting himself – and his young family – at risk to save the lives of anyone who steps in through those doors, whether they be left, right, or center. (Despite not having the appropriate/necessary supply of PPE months after experts declared it would be necessary.) Respect him and the risk he is taking on behalf of his fellow humanity. Follow the experts. Be honest about the facts. Stop with the nonsense.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I'm a physician in another state but I'm pretty sure they are following the same guidelines as my state when it comes to testing.

from the CDC recommendations for clinicians:
"Clinicians should use their judgment to determine if a patient has signs and symptoms compatible with COVID-19 and whether the patient should be tested. Most patients with confirmed COVID-19 have developed fever and/or symptoms of acute respiratory illness (e.g., cough, difficulty breathing). Priorities for testing may include:
  1. Hospitalized patients who have signs and symptoms compatible with COVID-19 in order to inform decisions related to infection control.
  2. Other symptomatic individuals such as, older adults and individuals with chronic medical conditions and/or an immunocompromised state that may put them at higher risk for poor outcomes (e.g., diabetes, heart disease, receiving immunosuppressive medications, chronic lung disease, chronic kidney disease).
  3. Any persons including healthcare personnel who within 14 days of symptom onset had close contact with a suspect or laboratory-confirmed4 COVID-19 patient, or who have a history of travel from affected geographic areas within 14 days of their symptom onset."
Basically unless you are sick enough to be hospitalized or some kind of healthcare worker you probably aren't being tested. If it seems possible you have it but the symptoms aren't severe enough to require hospitalization they are just recommending self isolation seeing as how a positive test won't change management other than the person not needing to self isolate.

Also I'm not quite sure I understood your last question? There a lot of confirmed hospitalized patients and a lot of confirmed cases that have already died in the hospital.

Thanks. That last part was this: If only patients that are hospitalized could get tested, wouldn't the rate of hospitalization for positive cases be 100%? And as far as I know that isn't the case.

Also, my dad I'm pretty sure has undiagnosed lung problems (chronic cougher). As far as I know he has shown no symptoms however, outside of the coughing. He's 63 years old. I assume the recommendation despite the vulnerability is to not get tested?

Edit: Reading that attachment answers my question.

KFC

May 24, 2004
Long Island
Thanks. That last part was this: If only patients that are hospitalized could get tested, wouldn't the rate of hospitalization for positive cases be 100%? And as far as I know that isn't the case.

Also, my dad I'm pretty sure has undiagnosed lung problems (chronic cougher). As far as I know he has shown no symptoms however, outside of the coughing. He's 63 years old. I assume the recommendation despite the vulnerability is to not get tested?

Ahh I see your question. So there a lots of patients that are having similar symptoms (acute hypoxic respiratory failure) that require hospitalization and basically all of those patients are getting tested now and only a portion of them will actually be positive, because you can have these symptoms from countless other causes. So the positive rate for hospitalized patients will be no where near 100%.

Yea the recommendation for him is going to be not to get tested unless he becomes sick enough to require hospitalization. But if he were to develop new (as in a change in his chronic respiratory symptoms) symptoms then they would recommend self-isolation at this point unless he became sick enough to require hospitalization.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Ahh I see your question. So there a lots of patients that are having similar symptoms (acute hypoxic respiratory failure) that require hospitalization and basically all of those patients are getting tested now and only a portion of them will actually be positive, because you can have these symptoms from countless other causes. So the positive rate for hospitalized patients will be no where near 100%.

Yea the recommendation for him is going to be not to get tested unless he becomes sick enough to require hospitalization. But if he were to develop new (as in a change in his chronic respiratory symptoms) symptoms then they would recommend self-isolation at this point unless he became sick enough to require hospitalization.

Thanks. The question wasn't about % of people in hospitals that tested positive but % of those that tested positive that are in hospitals. If you can only get a test when you're hospitalized doesn't it follow that 100% of people that tested positive have been hospitalized?

KFC

May 24, 2004
Long Island
Thanks. The question wasn't about % of people in hospital that tested positive but % of those that tested positive that are in hospitals. If you can only get a test when you're hospitalized doesn't it follow that 100% of people that tested positive have been hospitalized?

Ohhhhh I see. Yeah I see what you are saying. I think that testing strategy has been changed. Previously they were testing a ton of people in the Emergency Department and other settings and getting a lot of positives not requiring hospitalization from that. And some of these tests have been taking days to come back so thats why the numbers seem off in that regard.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Ohhhhh I see. Yeah I see what you are saying. I think that testing strategy has been changed. Previously they were testing a ton of people in the Emergency Department and other settings and getting a lot of positives not requiring hospitalization from that. And some of these tests have been taking days to come back so thats why the numbers seem off in that regard.

Makes sense, thanks.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
They "said something wrong"...? Like they mischaracterized a high stick that was actually the player's own stick? Are you kidding me?!?!?

I understand that people have political leanings. I understand that they have thrown their support behind one party/candidate or another. And I understand that it's difficult to shift from those positions once they're set, especially in the recent political environment. But the facts are plain. Stark, for crying out loud. And they're going to get much, much worse.

It's not fun. I don't want anyone to die. God knows I don't. BUT PEOPLE NEED TO STOP GETTING THEIR "NEWS" FROM THESE PEOPLE, BECAUSE FOR THREE MONTHS THEY DOWNPLAYED AN IMPENDING PANDEMIC IN THE NAME OF POLITICS.

I have long disliked Andrew Cuomo because I have believed he was a cynically political creature, who cared more about power and elections than actual policy – despite the fact that for the most part he has instituted programs I support. But damn if he isn't stepping up in the current moment. Why can't Trump do the same?

For Chrissakes, the President STILL hasn't executed the Production Defense Act (despite claiming repeatedly over the last three days that he had). Why in God's name not?

My "baby" brother is an ICU doctor in a city that is projected to be 3 days to a week behind NYC in terms of the surge. He is putting himself – and his young family – at risk to save the lives of anyone who steps in through those doors, whether they be left, right, or center. (Despite not having the appropriate/necessary supply of PPE months after experts declared it would be necessary.) Respect him and the risk he is taking on behalf of his fellow humanity. Follow the experts. Be honest about the facts. Stop with the nonsense.

I am fairly sure that this dude is just here trying to trigger people at this point. Stop wasting your time.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Wondering what you guys think of this:

My friends and I played golf today and it was a gorgeous day outside. We find out after our round that for the foreeable future, no more golf can be played in either PA or NJ which is where my buds and I play.

From what I've read, being outside especially on sunny days where the UV rays from the sun burn out any potential virus that is out there, I'd think that playing golf so long as you practice the proper social distancing as we did, should be permitted. If anything being outside in the open air with no one really around you would seem to be the safest place on the planet to be...no?

Just throwing it out there but shouldn't playing golf be permitted just like walking and running for exercise is?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
The curve looks very bad in the US the coming weeks. It is somewhat bettter here right now, but things can change. I hope all of you remain safe and healthy. These are crazy times. Sending a potion of strength, love and hope to everyone on this forum. We will need it. Both now and during the painful aftermath of the coming reset.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I always thought Cuomo was a product of nepotism, but he's doing a great job considering the very difficult headwinds.

I shutter every time when I think how this country wound up with Trump, Biden, and Sanders as it's final 3 candidates for President in 2020. Its really....just bad. That said, I at least think Biden will surround himself with solid people and be open to letting the experts do their thing, which is more than I can say about the current occupants in the White House.

I wish the best for your brothers. In the end, this is all about trying to maintain health and happiness.

I think we'd be much better prepared to handle this if we had an M4A health care system. People would all be on the same page and it would be much easier for people to navigate the system and the system to connect with them. Everyone covered and everyone (both users and medical personnel) more or less with the same playbook and at least most of the price gouging curtailed. One of my main issues with Biden is he has his bad days and them sometimes some better days but on his bad days he looks and sounds like he belongs in an assisted living home--borderline dementia.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
how do we know the difference between this link and the message at the top which reads there is a a Trojan virus for a site posing as john Hopkins . . . . ?

well, it appears gone. My gosh, it was at the top of this thread for days and nobody took it down until last night. Really?

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Wondering what you guys think of this:

My friends and I played golf today and it was a gorgeous day outside. We find out after our round that for the foreeable future, no more golf can be played in either PA or NJ which is where my buds and I play.

From what I've read, being outside especially on sunny days where the UV rays from the sun burn out any potential virus that is out there,I'd think that playing golf so long as you practice the proper social distancing as we did, should be permitted. If anything being outside in the open air with no one really around you would seem to be the safest place on the planet to be...no?

Just throwing it out there but shouldn't playing golf be permitted just like walking and running for exercise is?
What was your score ? :D

Reactions: Maximus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad