Copa America 2024 - Group A (ARG, PER, CHI, CAN)

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
I’d be shocked if Garnacho came even close to him. At best he’s another Lavezzi if not Correa.

Mastantuno who I mentioned in the prospect thread for me is a 10. I would agree though he may have a higher upside than Echeverri which is insane tbh
Mastantuono is SO good. Diablito has SO much skill, but still sees the pitch like a kid. Mastantuono already sees the game like an adult. Why I love Mastantuono is because of his versatility. I could EASILY see him as a 10 as well, but he's gnarly from the wings.

Garnacho is a wait and see game. He's got the ability. Kinda tough to replace arguably the second greatest player to wear the colors since Maradona (in my opinion anyhow).

RE: Canada talk. They're doing things the right way. The USA could learn a thing or two from them.

RE: No extra time. I love that we're the f***ing guinea pigs and not europe. It's hilarious how much UEFA and FIFA *hate* South America. I mean honestly, it favors us as we have Dibu.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
This is not a "new decision," it's the format of the Copa America. It was like this three years ago too, and like this in 2016. In 2019 they had ET in the semis, and in 2011 they had ET through the whole knockout stage, but those two are aberrations.

No one's a f***ing guinea pig.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
This is not a "new decision," it's the format of the Copa America. It was like this three years ago too, and like this in 2016. In 2019 they had ET in the semis, and in 2011 they had ET through the whole knockout stage, but those two are aberrations.

No one's a f***ing guinea pig.
Really? Why do I have no recollection of this. Christ, I'm not old enough to have senior moments yet.

This is where I think the NHL does it right. Play till there's a winner in the quarter finals onward. It'd promote more risk-taking play rather than trying to play for penalties.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Mastantuono is SO good. Diablito has SO much skill, but still sees the pitch like a kid. Mastantuono already sees the game like an adult. Why I love Mastantuono is because of his versatility. I could EASILY see him as a 10 as well, but he's gnarly from the wings.

Garnacho is a wait and see game. He's got the ability. Kinda tough to replace arguably the second greatest player to wear the colors since Maradona (in my opinion anyhow).

RE: Canada talk. They're doing things the right way. The USA could learn a thing or two from them.

RE: No extra time. I love that we're the f***ing guinea pigs and not europe. It's hilarious how much UEFA and FIFA *hate* South America. I mean honestly, it favors us as we have Dibu.
I’d bank on Prestianni, Soule and even the likes of Carboni although not an out an out winger. Amongst others.

I seemed to remember no ET in 2016 where it was held in the states as well and the Covid one too. If memory serves me. I don’t think it favours anyone since we are bound to lose one at some point. Either way no excuse they should make the finals and play Uruguay. What happens haopens

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Really? Why do I have no recollection of this. Christ, I'm not old enough to have senior moments yet.

This is where I think the NHL does it right. Play till there's a winner in the quarter finals onward. It'd promote more risk-taking play rather than trying to play for penalties.
I didn't remember it either, but did a little bit of searching upon seeing these tweets.

A bunch of US outlets (none international) are reporting it as "it's been decided there will be no extra time" when it was decided... years ago...

Which seems to me to be them tryna feed more chum to salty American fans who are using "iT's A fAkE tourNAmeNT aNywaY" as cope for their pretty unambiguous failure in this tournament

Reactions: Brief Candle

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
I have my food prepared and my Fernet getting nice and cold in the fridge (I don't like my fernet and coke with ice). 9pm can't come soon enough.

Re: Fideo - He's talked about basically being done since the WC. My heart hopes that if he's still capable, he plays, but I think he's pretty serious. Messi has already stated his intentions to be there in 2026 as long as he feels good.

The reality is that we need to learn to play without them much sooner rather than later, which truth be told, I'm not too worried about. Losing the likes of both of them is HUGE, but we have such a deep talent pool to chose from, and even more importantly, the way they changed how they do things/run things/expect of players now vs. even eight years ago, let alone 12+ years ago gives me a lot of hope for the future.

Those 90's/2ks teams on paper were GNARLY, but so were the egos. They've really changed the mindset of how they expect these guys to think of one another. How they interact with one another on the pitch, etc etc. It's beautiful to see. Scaloni's vision can't be ignored, except with his seeming love affair with Nico Gonzalez. lol

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Brutal brutal half so far. Sloppy passes everywhere, worst half Enzo ever played for the NT. Luckily Lisandro is such a towering figure his height showed there for the goal.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
449874903_501206869023026_5024053081151684129_n.jpg

He needs one more penalty save to surpass Goycochea. He has a 50% save percentage over the last 24 penalties he's defended. Best alive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad