HF Habs: Copa America 2024 | Canada vs Chile, Sat. June 29, 8 p.m. | TSN, CTV2, RDS, FOX ||| Euro 2024 (TSN, TSN+, TVA Sports)

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
agreed. And the PG quotes from the Peruvian coach? lmao. complaining about Canada's shirt pulling.
I also couldn't believe what I was watching last night. Brazil outshoots costa rica 19-2 and had what? 90% possession. Costa Rica played the entire game, 10 guys behind the ball, AND were getting calls all game from the CONCACAF ref. It was nuts to watch

100%

he should be starting vs Chile

Brazil just got CONCACAF'd. Welcome to the show.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
agreed and eustaquio has looked awful, apoplectic, paralyzed. He's never played this poorly

he's lost a step. hopefully he can bounce back, I think I read somewhere he lost his starting role at fc porto.

reality is there are only 5 teams in concacaf/conmebol who are actually trying to play a quality game.
CAN, USA, ARG, BRA, URU

The rest look like a bunch of low class hoodlums. One look at the Peruvian ciach and you knew what you were getting.

it felt like playground soccer. it was wild to see this at a professional, in theory, best on best event. refs need to show more pride. they were letting peru get away with clear yellow cards the entire first half, they barely played the ball on tackles, it was hard to watch the game.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Anyone watching Chile V Argentina? You never see this type of football in UEFA. Chop blocks, flying tackles, pushes. Just crazy

I thought this game was clean in comparison to the canada-peru game. canada better get ready for another dirty game. maybe we need uefa refs, at least they control the game, just unreal stuff they consider a soccer play.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Argentina beats Chile 1-0.

So Group A has:

1. Argentina 6 pts (2 wins)
2. Canada 3 pts (a win & a loss)
3. Chile 1 pt (a draw)
4. Peru 1 pt (a draw)

Top 2 teams go through to Quarter Finals.

Canada's next game is Saturday, June 29 at 8 p.m. against Chile, while Argentina plays Peru at the same time.

A draw and Canada goes through to QF. Lose and Canada is eliminated and Chile goes through to QFs.

With a 2nd place finish, I believe they play the 1st place team of B Group, which would be either Venezuela or Mexico.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
UEFA has confirmed that Denmark was given 2nd place over Slovenia due to a yellow card given to an assistant coach of Slovenia. I thought maybe it was due to Slovenia getting a red card. Assistant coaches really shouldn't be picking up yellow cards. For player yellows, both Denmark & Slovenia had 6 each..

In any case, apparently the next tie breaker is how they did in qualifiers. Denmark did better there.

• Wow
Reactions: ArtPeur

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Next game for Canada - Buchanan on the bench for Shefflenburg or however you spell it.

Get Millar off the pitch to start, as well. Not sure what our options are for Kone but he shouldn't be starting either. Quality wasn't there for all 3.

Canada lacks depth, so you won't find much in the way of options on the bench.

They have some international quality talent in their best 11 and I'd include kone on that list. You have no choice but to live and die with those guys, because the alternatives are bare.

Anyone watching Chile V Argentina? You never see this type of football in UEFA. Chop blocks, flying tackles, pushes. Just crazy

Not uncommon for south American football, tbh. We get a taste of that mindset with central American teams in concacaf except the talent levels are generally stepped up a few notches when you go to south America.

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yeah, Ukraine is out with 4 pts, while Hungary & Slovenia are getting through with 3 pts. Ukraine finished 4th in a group where all teams finished with 4 pts.

However, a 3rd match is now set for Group of 16:

Belgium vs France

Denmark vs Germany, and Switzerland vs Italy are the other 2 matches.

Reactions: ArtPeur

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, Ukraine is out with 4 pts, while Hungary & Slovenia are getting through with 3 pts. Ukraine finished 4th in a group where all teams finished with 4 pts.

However, a 3rd match is now set for Group of 16:

Belgium vs France

Denmark vs Germany, and Switzerland vs Italy are the other 2 matches.

Belgium - France will be fun

0-0 + extra time, game decided on penalties

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What a save by Georgia's goaltender WTF happens if it goes in because the penalty check would have wiped it out.
2-0 Georgia LMFAO
The Netherlands and England must love it I'm sure they don't want to play each other in the round of 16.

Portugal diving all over the place like usual.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Happy that Canada won.

Sad that I missed the game
It was a pretty terrible game to be honest and while Peru should have had a red card earlier - we still didn't look great after they got one. Crepeau saved our asses twice in the last 5 minutes.... Crepeau probably going to get some Top-5 league looks after these two performances.

Kone needs to go away for awhile. He's got to have at least 50 turnovers through 2 games, lol. He's so bad right now.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Argentina beats Chile 1-0.

So Group A has:

1. Argentina 6 pts (2 wins)
2. Canada 3 pts (a win & a loss)
3. Chile 1 pt (a draw)
4. Peru 1 pt (a draw)

Top 2 teams go through to Quarter Finals.

Canada's next game is Saturday, June 29 at 8 p.m. against Chile, while Argentina plays Peru at the same time.

A draw and Canada goes through to QF. Lose and Canada is eliminated and Chile goes through to QFs.

With a 2nd place finish, I believe they play the 1st place team of B Group, which would be either Venezuela or Mexico.
That's just... not true (unfortunately).

A draw means Argentina has to win or draw. A Peru 1-0 win with a Canada draw puts Peru through on GD.

Argentina still has a strong team with Messi and Di Maria on the bench, but not as strong. And while not the most likely outcome Peru is good enough to beat Argentina.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
That's just... not true (unfortunately).

A draw means Argentina has to win or draw. A Peru 1-0 win with a Canada draw puts Peru through on GD.

Argentina still has a strong team with Messi and Di Maria on the bench, but not as strong. And while not the most likely outcome Peru is good enough to beat Argentina.

Yeah, I'm assuming Argentina wins that game.

Reactions: Natey

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Ukraine going out on 4 points is just sad when Hungary goes through with 3 and a minus 3 differential it just feels wrong.

Georgia beat Portugal 2-0 and eliminates Hungary.

Denmark & Slovenia still go through with 3 pts, while Ukraine is eliminated with 4 though.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Round of 16 is set:

Spain vs Georgia
Germany vs Denmark

Portugal vs Slovenia
France vs Belgium

Romania vs Netherlands
Turkey vs Austria

England vs Slovakia
Switzerland vs Italy

The round starts Saturday, June 29th with a game at 12 p.m. and 3 p.m.

the path for england is right there for the taking to end up facing either germany, spain, portugal, or france, and the netherlands could go to the final 4 and even to the final with their path. shocking how it played out, but it's exciting for a tourney with all the variables. I think it ends like this after the round of 16.

Spain
Germany

Portugal
France

Netherlands
Turkey

England
Italy

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad