Conspiracy Theorists has now crawled into the NHL?

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
not necessarily a commentary on this series but whats more annoying than conspiracy theorists are those who are adamant that everything is legit and official because it is the nhl (lol) a league which literally promotes sports gambling.
So the thing more annoying than conspiracy theories are people who don't believe in conspiracy theories? Agree, you didn't make a comment about the series, but I sure do think you're making a comment about something...

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
So the thing more annoying than conspiracy theories are people who don't believe in conspiracy theories? Agree, you didn't make a comment about the series, but I sure do think you're making a comment about something...

yes exactly good job figuring it out (whatever it is you think you figured out lol)

Reactions: CogNoman

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
My favorite is the Panthers fans crying about the offsides, it's not like you lost that game by one goal anyways.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
What is it with the mass amount of people that actually think, yes they sincerely believe, that Gary Bettman and the NHL have arranged the Oilers incredible comeback to force a Game 7....How in the world could this be arranged??? Does Bettman go and tell Paul Maurice, after being up 3-0, to instruct Barkov, Tkachuk and Bobrovsky to purposely lose the next 3? Does he call the referees before Game 4 and tell them to call everything against the Panthers but don't make it too obvious? Can we please keep these conspiracy theories that exist everywhere else in today's society away from our beloved NHL....

If you've ever read these boards during playoff time, hardcore NHL fans are easily among the most conspiracy minded. Pretty standard cope, some mysterious force moving things behind the scenes rather than just accepting the randomness of everyday life, including sports.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
It’s not new, the league being obsessed with gambling however has made it seem more sus than ever before.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
if you dig into the post history of anyone saying that Bettman is rigging games for the Oilers you probably won't have to go back too far to also find conspiracy theories about how he hates Canada and rigs things against Canadian teams

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
My favorite is the Panthers fans crying about the offsides, it's not like you lost that game by one goal anyways.
And it's not likely that even if the goal counted, they would have won anyway

If someone truly believes the NHL is rigged, I'm always baffled by why they would watch it at all, let alone spend time posting on a forum about it.
Harness Racing and Jai Alai say place your bets!!

Dabeast

Jun 13, 2014
South Florida
I've had to hear all playoffs that because Greg Campbell works for the Panthers that Colin Campbell is busy making sure every decision possible goes in the Panthers favor

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I think there was alot of direction given refs by the head office, WAS.

Before Bettman the ref union graded and dispatched the refs. That is why refs had "personalities"
Some were known for "letting the boys play"
Some for seemingly "wanting the spotlight"
Others had other tenancies but well known by players and teams who would adapt easily.

When Bettman was hired he crushed the ref union creating a reffing system just like the NBA had. A system where the top echelon were instructing the refs'. As a few NBA refs have stated they never said who they wanted to win but did give "alerts" on players. But the ref's that got it right got playoff games. One at least was tipping off bettors. I think there were another couple that stated the same but anonymously.

The refs are still at the beholding of the league, teams and upper offices. I think it was more a business decision than anything necessarily evil.

So many cups in Canada but Canada was already sold on the game, to make it bigger they needed to have US teams and big US markets win to spread the game out. Hence no Canadian teams winning, sure one every 5 or 6 years in the finals but Championship teams get the news in the US. And because of all that new US interest the game grew and Canadian franchise owners gained much in value without winning the cup. They needed to keep interest going though.

Now we have the "one Canadian team representing ALL Canadian teams" concept, something Bettman stated decades ago when he started with Toronto is Canada's team. Singular.

Now I state WAS, because I think with the partnership with legal gambling these instructions will evapourate because of the possiblilty that one of these mega sports books sues the league for "cheating"

Oddly enough allowing the sports betting is almost enough to clean up any possible conspiracies.

As far as Edmonton/Florida series, Edmonton was a big favourite to win the cup day 1, they stumbled but finished very strong.

I stated I thought Edmonton would win because they are more used to the long travel and goalie Bob's sweating out up to 10lbs of water. Combined with the dehydration of flying and his age it he was going to wilt as the games went on.

No conspiracy there. Although the 2 days between games does seem designed to favour Florida more. That travel and dehydration is likely one reason for Florida's initial successes, Edmonton was still suffering from their extensive travel of the previous series.

Every playoffs the games are more intense, the refs have to adapt to rougher games. They can't do regular "game management". There is a difference in the way games are called, as has been, as should/will be.

BTW I think the change only happened the last 18 months or so,

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
What is it with the mass amount of people that actually think, yes they sincerely believe, that Gary Bettman and the NHL have arranged the Oilers incredible comeback to force a Game 7....How in the world could this be arranged??? Does Bettman go and tell Paul Maurice, after being up 3-0, to instruct Barkov, Tkachuk and Bobrovsky to purposely lose the next 3? Does he call the referees before Game 4 and tell them to call everything against the Panthers but don't make it too obvious? Can we please keep these conspiracy theories that exist everywhere else in today's society away from our beloved NHL....

The f*** are you talking about as if this is new? I remember theories like this back in the early 90's and it probably goes farther back. All other sports have them to.

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
Are there any stats/Data that show the difference in NHL Revenues if a Canadian team goes deep into the playoffs in relation to Two American based teams?

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Conspiracy theories appeal to people with low intelligence and high confidence. More than a handful of sports fans fit that description.
Plenty of highly intelligent people to this day still believe JFK conspiracies. It's a symptom of human pattern recognition. We're probably one of the best animals on earth when it comes to that. It also makes us a little paranoid and nutty.

And yeah, hockey conspiracies have always been here and will always be here.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

Source? :sarcasm:

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
It’s not new, the league being obsessed with gambling however has made it seem more sus than ever before.
They're not obsessed with gambling, they're obsessed with money, and gambling companies are the ones providing it. They gave Pinto the longest suspension I remember.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
all the people are assuming wrong thinking league favors one team or another. follow the money, its that simple. how much more was revenue now that it went to 7th game versus oilers were swept in four. you really believe team that was 3-0 lead suddenly forgot everything how to attack or defend. after made twice into finals, come on people you cant believe this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad