Conspiracy Theorists has now crawled into the NHL?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Conspiracy theories appeal to people with low intelligence and high confidence. More than a handful of sports fans fit that description.
A potent combination. Id say that a large percentage of American problems stem from the fact that people like this are the ones who run for office (both parties) and become celebrities / role models

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Conspiracy theories make me laugh. So let me get this straight, in order to rig 3 straight games they would have to let at least 40 players, a bunch of coaches, the 2 GMs, and the officials in on it. Yea, no. Somebody would talk even accidentally. Humans, and humans slip up. There is no conspiracy here. Edmonton just figured Florida out. Great teams can win 3 straight games even against other great teams. Just like Florida who won 3 straight against Edmonton.

Reactions: Devonator

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Does Bettman go and tell Paul Maurice, after being up 3-0, to instruct Barkov, Tkachuk and Bobrovsky to purposely lose the next 3? Does he call the referees before Game 4 and tell them to call everything against the Panthers but don't make it too obvious?
I didn't know of any conspiracy ''theories'' around the NHL finals before you put that in words, but reading that, it absolutely makes sense. There's definitely something sinister about this years finals.

Reactions: behemolari

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Don't know about this one, but I've heard credible accusations that the NBA chooses referees that they think will be advantageous to certain teams to try and extend series.
Not far fetched at all, especially in that league where refs hold way too much power.

Honestly with this much money in these sports and with all the Betting promotions going around, I would expect alot of games To be rigged. I don't think this series between Florida and Edmonton has been rigged tho lol, just a crazy good story.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
People have always conspired against each other since the dawn of time, at various levels, to gain whatever it is they want to gain.

Modern sports is also a corrupt billion dollar industry, with online betting getting a more prominent role with every passing day.

That said, this Panthers team has a number of high profile players, essentially their entire core, with IMO a pretty steep choking pedigree. I'm thinking guys like Bobrovsky and Tkachuk, even someone like Barkov (even though I like his skills) comes across similarly.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
What does the NHL get from a cold northern city in canada winning a cup vs one in the Miami area? Nothing imo.

Panthers fan base needs to be built up after the long playoff drought. Edmonton will draw fans no matter what.

No conspiracy.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Wherever there are humans, there are conspiracy theories, unfortunately.

When the world doesn't make sense for the weakest and dumbest people, they turn to conspiracy theories to bond between each other and to lower their anxiety.

Just sit back and enjoy their creativity! :popcorn:
You don't think any conspiracy theories are realistic?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
What is it with the mass amount of people that actually think, yes they sincerely believe, that Gary Bettman and the NHL have arranged the Oilers incredible comeback to force a Game 7....How in the world could this be arranged???

Easy hypnosis

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I dont really believe in these wacky conspiracy conspiracies, in the sense thay I don't believe is he actually *doing* any of the things that people make wild claims about.

i do think though, that some of the things people claim as conspiracies, may actually just be actual preferences of his...i.e. I do genuinely believe Bettman *probably* dislikes how many Canadian teams are in the league and in his perfect world he'd only have 3 Canadian markets (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver) and have 29 US markets...and I do believe he cares deeply about which teams win the draft lottery and that he wishes he could get away with manufacturing ways to ensure he gets the star players always to the biggest markets. I think he deeply hates the fact that McDavid doesn't play for a large OR southern American market, for example.

That said, I don't actually believe he or the league ever act on any of these biases nor are they actually secretly malicious towards any specific teams behind the scenes.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Ill say it since no one else did. BOTH can be true.

The Oilers have outplayed FLA the last 3 games and deserved/earned their wins. But missed calls/sus calls/timing of calls helped extinguish any of the rare moments FLA started to regroup. "rigging" a game or "scripting" a series doesnt mean you're directly making one team beat another, merely putting a finger on the scales.

To further elaborate Ill give a real life example. Clan Wars in World Tanks is rigged, I know because I was in on it. Wargaming for their part took measures to prevent 'cheating' by reviewing results to include watching replays of matches - but quite simply, they failed to stop us. All of the top Clans would have leadership meetings and 'script' out Clan Wars, who would attack who when and what attacks would be successful /fail. It was done to keep up appearances, if the map was too static it might give up the shenanigans so we'd stage 'conflicts' to keep things in flux. Likewise for the individual battles, we would predetermine the winners, but the battles would be fought fair and square, until a point. If the 'winning' team got beat up, then the 'losing' team would start exposing themselves and throwing shots until the correct outcome was achieved.

so yea, does Gary actually put magnets under the rink to control the puck? no
is it possible/likely that the league instructs officials how to 'manage' a key game to help facilitate a revenue boost or curry favor with one of the many big NHL betting partners? you'd be foolish to think otherwise

NFL is definitely rigged, NBA i dont know enough about but Ive heard rumors about it being sus from die hard fans. It's w/e, hockey is still the best sport to play and watch, if the NHL gets too stupid then go watch oher leagues.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I find special teams suspicious. How is it every team that goes on the powerplay against Edmonton suddenly forget how to make a pass? You don't want to be too obvious but I think that's when they activate the 5G.

Reactions: behemolari

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
What is it with the mass amount of people that actually think, yes they sincerely believe, that Gary Bettman and the NHL have arranged the Oilers incredible comeback to force a Game 7....How in the world could this be arranged??? Does Bettman go and tell Paul Maurice, after being up 3-0, to instruct Barkov, Tkachuk and Bobrovsky to purposely lose the next 3? Does he call the referees before Game 4 and tell them to call everything against the Panthers but don't make it too obvious? Can we please keep these conspiracy theories that exist everywhere else in today's society away from our beloved NHL....

There are people who believe the NHL engineers it so that no Canadian team will win the Cup again.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Could be that hockey stronghold on culture diminished where I am from or follow less the conspiracy stories.

But I feel in Quebec, conspiracy around hockey's were way more commons, good amount about team-media hiding stuff turned out to be true.

we had the Crosby loto handled to the Penguins because they were about to leave in a very bad time for the league (when selling new franchise was really high instead and just after the lock-out), Bettman on purpose not wanting Canadians teams wins the cup for some reason, Chelios traded because he slep with Ronald Corey type of stories were quite common (Komisarek had some, the Kostityn and many others with the press knowing but covering for Mtl the biggest and by a ridiculous amount entity media coverage wise).

During the 1994 playoff Roy missed a game, Roy in the official story had an appendicitis, the numbers of conspiracy about it at schools at the time and how big of a story it was... They wanted to try Tugnutt (when Roy the previous Smythe winner just won his previous game making 40 save on 42 shots) because of his legendary past performance against the Bruins but didn't want to insult Roy that would have never accepted to be on the bench or other story about how he got injured, etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad