OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Ace Ventura 2 is on TNT. Man i haven't seen this in forever. I always like to play the game... who had a better 90s career (normally with a comedy bias):

Jim Carrey - ace ventura 1, the mask, dumb and dumber, batman forever (not quite in scope but close), ace ventura 2, cable guy, liar liar, truman show, man on the moon (never saw it but including it)

Mike Myers - waynes world 1, waynes world 2, so i married an axe murder, austin powers 1, 54 (not quite in scope), Austin Powers 2.

Adam Sandler - Airheads, Billy Madison, Happy Gilmour, Bulletproof, the Wedding Singer, Waterboy, Big Daddy

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ace Ventura 2 is on TNT. Man i haven't seen this in forever. I always like to play the game... who had a better 90s career (normally with a comedy bias):

Jim Carrey - ace ventura 1, the mask, dumb and dumber, batman forever (not quite in scope but close), ace ventura 2, cable guy, liar liar, truman show, man on the moon,

Mike Myers - waynes world 1, waynes world 2, so i married an axe murder, austin powers 1, 54 (not quite in scope), Austin Powers 2.

Adam Sandler - Airheads, Billy Madison, Happy Gilmour, Bulletproof, the Wedding Singer, Waterboy, Big Daddy
I think the first couple of Austin Powers movies were excellent. So was the first Wayne’s World . Jim Carrey was great in Truman Show while Sandler had a bunch of meh but his movies typically had heart in a way thr other two didn’t for me. Tough call but I’d probably go with Myers.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
I think the first couple of Austin Powers movies were excellent. So was the first Wayne’s World . Jim Carrey was great in Truman Show while Sandler had a bunch of meh but his movies typically had heart in a way thr other two didn’t for me. Tough call but I’d probably go with Myers.

Of note:

A couple hits came out for all of them just after the 90s

Me myself Irene, Bruce Almighty,
Shrek 1, Austin Powers 3,
Little Nicky (underated IMO), Mr Deeds, 8 crazy nights

As far as Sandler in the 90s. Maybe not great movies. I think you and I are close in age but i'm assuming i'm younger. Happy Gilmour / Billy Madison are two of the most quoted movies from my age bracket (1980 - 1985).

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Started the Acolyte. Just Episode 1, I’ll give it another few episodes. But brutal writing and direction. Visually super weak as well.

It’s one thing when 1-2 performances are wooden but all of them? That’s on the creators/writers. These actors have a tough job selling these weak cliches.

Also bought a Meta Quest 3 because why the f*** not. Damn this stuff is wild and very stressful. The free rock climbing game genuinely caused a little physiological panic in a way that normal gaming never does.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Goddamn, amazing lightsaber choreography in the finale.

Idgaf what anyone says. I like this show, and the fight choreography alone makes it worth watching.

Started the Acolyte. Just Episode 1, I’ll give it another few episodes. But brutal writing and direction. Visually super weak as well.

It’s one thing when 1-2 performances are wooden but all of them? That’s on the creators/writers. These actors have a tough job selling these weak cliches.

Also bought a Meta Quest 3 because why the f*** not. Damn this stuff is wild and very stressful. The free rock climbing game genuinely caused a little physiological panic in a way that normal gaming never does.
Stick with it. Episodes 5-8 are good

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I liked Longlegs but I think I hyped it up a bit too much for myself and the trailers had me thinking it was going to be scary. It almost came across more like a longer episode of mind hunter but a lot darker with everything.

I laughed at Cage way too much, he just looked so goofy, I saw a comment that they could have saved money on makeup if they just hired Mikey Rourke instead haha

I still would recommend it to any horror fans but I don't think there's any reason to rush out and see it.

Reactions: My3Sons

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The Acolyte isn't good beyond the fight sequences, but I'm happy for people that enjoyed it. The frustrating thing is I'd actually like to see where the story goes from where they ended the season, but I don't if the season itself was good enough to sign off on another season.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The Acolyte isn't good beyond the fight sequences, but I'm happy for people that enjoyed it. The frustrating thing is I'd actually like to see where the story goes from where they ended the season, but I don't if the season itself was good enough to sign off on another season.
It was a whole lot of fluff to get to the point where the ending left off, yes. But I hope the show keeps trending upward like it did from episode 5 and onward

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Did this weeks House of Dragon have a lower quality look to it? Something seems different… new director?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I waited for The Acolyte to finish and see the opinions of people I trust on Star Wars to watch it. They all seemed to love it. Watched the whole thing today and thought it was really good. It’s the best show besides Andor and really not close for me. I’m beyond over the FiLoNiVeRsE (although I was never really in on it to begin with)

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I waited for The Acolyte to finish and see the opinions of people I trust on Star Wars to watch it. They all seemed to love it. Watched the whole thing today and thought it was really good. It’s the best show besides Andor and really not close for me. I’m beyond over the FiLoNiVeRsE (although I was never really in on it to begin with)
100% better if you watch all episodes really quickly like a movie. Much better pacing

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Disney needs to knock it off with the ~30 minute live action Star Wars episodes. My biggest issue with Acolyte is that I just didn't care enough about the characters for the big moments to really hit, which is because we barely spent any time developing them in basically two and half hours of the actual run time of the show.

The show hinges on certain relationships that if you don't buy it just doesn't work. If it worked for others, great. It didn't for me, which is disappointing because, like the prequels, I think there's a good story there, it just wasn't executed particularly well.

On the positive, it has some of the best fight sequences in Star Wars. I'd watch a supercut of just the fights. And the two teases of big characters in the finale hit me in the fanboy feels and did exactly what they were probably supposed to and made me go "I want to see more with them".

I'm not all that confident we will though, which kind of adds to the disappointment. I'd love to be wrong and look back on this as one of those shows that really hit their stride after the first season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad