OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I am still in season 2 of the sopranos. By the time I get to season 5 I'll have definitely forgotten whatever is talked about here

Reactions: My3Sons

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
IMG_9727.jpeg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is there a bigger POS in tv history than Chris in the Sopranos?

JFC, someone put him down

Halfway through season 5, almost done
Yeah, as bad as Ralph was, I think I hated him almost as much.

The scenes where he beats on Adriana are horrifying. I think Ralph was slightly worse. If not just for what he did when he “Disrespected the bing” back in season 3.

He was also such a whore for Tony. It’s like he hated Tony so much (he really expresses this in season 5) but shows such fierce loyalty.

The only time I ever felt any sympathy for him is when Tony and the other guys would mock his sobriety. They’re the ones who forced him to go to rehab and they bust his balls for not partaking in social drinks, which they should know that a drug addict needs to stop everything and can’t even be having a social drink/wine or even a toke of weed. And yet they busted his balls over it. Despite the fact that when he was shooting up heroin they put him into rehab and basically gave him the ultimatum that they were going to kill him if he didn’t enter rehab and stop using heroin.

Other than that, it was very hard to feel sympathy for a guy that constantly beats on his girlfriend, chokes her and does other stupid shit like shoots a civilian in the foot at a bakery for not serving him fast enough.

They’re all bad guys, but people like Christopher, Richie Aprile, Ralph and I would also argue another character (a character who comes before season 6 but reveals himself to be extremely disgusting in the second quarter of that season) are even worse than most of them.

Tony is probably one of the most humanized guys. Bobby is definitely the most humanized I would say. Tony is racist, homophobic (not to the level of most of those guys though) and a serial philanderer, but he doesn’t beat on Carmela (he went after her once and punched the wall, I can’t even remember what season that was? I think the fourth) assault people for no reason (other than Georgie from the bing multiple times throughout the series lol), didn’t sit on a dog and suffocate it or burn a horse alive, suffocate an old woman with a pillow, the countless other stuff his associates and friends do. Probably because he’s the main character, they have to make him somewhat likable to the audience.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I am still in season 2 of the sopranos. By the time I get to season 5 I'll have definitely forgotten whatever is talked about here
I spoiled an entire storyline that happens later in the series to my friend, while we were having a philosophical conversation. I used examples from that storyline in a talk we were having.

I had no idea we would eventually watch the entire series together, and very shortly after the conversation.

By the time we got there, I brought up how we had talked about this and I was glad he didn't remember everything. Our conversation went off in his head as soon as I reminded him, once we got past this story arc.

I wasn't sure he'd have much interest in watching it. He really enjoyed it.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I saw Dune Part 2 the other night, oh man that was really good. I enjoyed it much more than part one, way better pacing and the payoffs laid in the fist part were great. The worst part about it though is Zendaya or whatever her name is, she's on screen way too much and can't really act compared to the rest of the cast. It got old seeing her sour puss face every scene, she looks like she's catching whiff of a nasty fart every scene lmao.

I really hope they do part three. My nephew is really into it and is reading all the books and was explaining a lot of the stuff they couldn't completely cover or explain within the movies. I couldn't believe some of the bat shit crazy stuff he was trying to explain to me. A lot of it seems very familiar though, I would imagine sci fi in general lifted a lot of things from those books.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
I saw Dune Part 2 the other night, oh man that was really good. I enjoyed it much more than part one, way better pacing and the payoffs laid in the fist part were great. The worst part about it though is Zendaya or whatever her name is, she's on screen way too much and can't really act compared to the rest of the cast. It got old seeing her sour puss face every scene, she looks like she's catching whiff of a nasty fart every scene lmao.

I really hope they do part three. My nephew is really into it and is reading all the books and was explaining a lot of the stuff they couldn't completely cover or explain within the movies. I couldn't believe some of the bat shit crazy stuff he was trying to explain to me. A lot of it seems very familiar though, I would imagine sci fi in general lifted a lot of things from those books.

Thanks for this.

I was close to watching it last Friday and said to myself, “do I really want to watch Zendaya and Timothy Chamalamadingdong’s faces for three hours?”

So instead I watch Godzilla vs Kong and loved it so much I immediately went to GvK: New Empire. The last few days I’ve watched Godzilla, Godzilla: King of the Monsters and last night Kong: Skull Island. Debating watching the two GvK movies again now or going to the Apple show, Monarch: Legacy of Monsters.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey

yeah the dune books get insane! :) All hail the worm!

Reactions: JK3

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Thanks for this.

I was close to watching it last Friday and said to myself, “do I really want to watch Zendaya and Timothy Chamalamadingdong’s faces for three hours?”

So instead I watch Godzilla vs Kong and loved it so much I immediately went to GvK: New Empire. The last few days I’ve watched Godzilla, Godzilla: King of the Monsters and last night Kong: Skull Island. Debating watching the two GvK movies again now or going to the Apple show, Monarch: Legacy of Monsters.
Haha, it's definitely worth watching if you've seen the first one. She's not too bad, it's just kind of a one note performance. Timothy Shanalamadingdong is pretty solid though, I thought he pulled off Paul Atreides pretty well.

I'm not into the Kong stuff at all, the CGI makes me nauseous. I am Godzilla all the way though, I really need to see Minus One.

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
yeah the dune books get insane! :) All hail the worm!
I didn't realize how many books there are and all the lore, holy crap. Like I said earlier my nephew was trying to explain all this stuff to me and I was like holy shit that sounds amazing. He's a lawyer now (@My3Sons eek) and just consumes text and books like it's nothing and can crystalize concepts succinctly within them for dummies like me to understand lol.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I spoiled an entire storyline that happens later in the series to my friend, while we were having a philosophical conversation. I used examples from that storyline in a talk we were having.

I had no idea we would eventually watch the entire series together, and very shortly after the conversation.

By the time we got there, I brought up how we had talked about this and I was glad he didn't remember everything. Our conversation went off in his head as soon as I reminded him, once we got past this story arc.

I wasn't sure he'd have much interest in watching it. He really enjoyed it.
Seeing you guys all talk about the Sopranos has me wondering if my wife has ever seen it. She’s younger than me and definitely didn’t watch certain shows or movies until we started dating and I’ve never watched that with her. Kindve excited if she hasn’t and that gives me someone to rewatch them with!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Seeing you guys all talk about the Sopranos has me wondering if my wife has ever seen it. She’s younger than me and definitely didn’t watch certain shows or movies until we started dating and I’ve never watched that with her. Kindve excited if she hasn’t and that gives me someone to rewatch them with!
My friend I watched it with is about 15 years younger than I am. So he was like 8 years old when it premiered and maybe 16 when the series finale aired.

I think I started watching it in season 1. Maybe it was season 2? I think it was season one. I was hooked from the intro where Tony is driving into Jersey from the Lincoln Tunnel, with all the shots of the turnpike and Pulaski Skyway, Jersey City, Newark, etc.

Season 4 was ending right around the time my then-girlfriend and I split up. Very fitting for the season 4 finale. We had been together for a couple of years even before the series began. I guess I had made a comment at some point that I thought Meadow was cute. She had a real hangup about that and never let me forget about it. I have very little negative to say about this ex-girlfriend, but she was kind of insecure over certain things. She was the girlfriend who told me to go f*** Brodeur, after I stayed up till 1:00 AM watching a Devils game on the west coast and went straight to bed afterwards. She had hangups about how much I watched the Devils, among some other things.

I don't know why she never let me forget about the Meadow stuff. She once told me to stop gawking at her because she (meaning my then-girlfriend) was the only Jewish-American princess I'll ever have and not Jamie-Lynn Sigler. I don't even remember liking her all that much, but I made one or two comments at some point I guess.

And she told me she thought Tony was good looking, which I'm not sure if that was just a reaction to my supposed Meadow boner. Which I was like ''But he's OLD! And he's BALD!''. In reality, James Gandolfini was only about 15 years older than I was, and about 18 years older than she was. I remember being kind of shocked to find out he was as young as he was when I first found out his age. I think even the character of Tony was older than James Gandolfini, as I remember Tony's year of birth was 1959, but Gandolfini was born in 1961. It's explicitly stated that Janice is Tony's older sister, but she was actually a year younger than he was in real life.

It also seems like Tony and Christopher are 10-15 years apart in age, but they're only 5 years apart in real life. I get the idea that the character of Christopher was actually supposed to be several years younger than Michael Imperioli was.

One other thing I found interesting is the character of Bobby is supposed to be younger than the character of Tony, but he's actually 4 years older in real life.

And maybe I've interpreted this wrong, but I've gotten the idea that Tony and p***y Bomponsiero are relatively close to the same age, even though they're 15 years apart in real life. I also felt it was implied that Silvio and Tony are not too far apart in age, though they're 11 years apart. It felt like Tony was closer to the same age as those guys (other than Paulie) than he was to Christopher, but really Christopher is more in his age group, while the rest of those guys are significantly older.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
So we waited 6 episodes to see what the big event was on Brendok...and it fell flat. It's disappointing because I really like the fight scenes in this show. The writing and directing is just all over the place, and I find myself just not caring about the story because of it.

Last edited:

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Thanks for this.

It's not in that universe and a completely different tone than those movies but Godzilla Minus One was so good. I love anything Godzilla so it's been fantastic being a fan of him this past year.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I didn't realize how many books there are and all the lore, holy crap. Like I said earlier my nephew was trying to explain all this stuff to me and I was like holy shit that sounds amazing. He's a lawyer now (@My3Sons eek) and just consumes text and books like it's nothing and can crystalize concepts succinctly within them for dummies like me to understand lol.

The 6 original books by Frank Herbert are great, even if the last two get really out there (even in comparison to the earlier books).

I recommend them to anybody who likes space-setting Sci Fi. Later works like Star Wars, Star Trek, Mass Effect, Babylon 5, etc. all took clear inspiration from Dune, which codified many of the tropes in the genre.

Skip all the prequel/sequel Dune books by Frank Herbert's son, they are terrible. Cash grab bullshit that nobody asked for and make no sense.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Monarch is a different vibe than the movies but I enjoy the movie universe as a not too serious popcorn time and I enjoyed Monarch as well; I just take them for what they are.

Monarch starts out amazing the first 2-3 ep then you can tell they blew the budget and things slowed down significantly but wow it sucks you in. KR does a great job as well as his son playing him in his youth.

I started Monarch last night, and damn it, it did suck me in. I’m enjoying.

It's not in that universe and a completely different tone than those movies but Godzilla Minus One was so good. I love anything Godzilla so it's been fantastic being a fan of him this past year.
I was reading about it a few nights ago, maybe I’ll check it out too since I’m on this monsters kick 😁

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad