OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The cost of The Acolyte is absurd too. $180 million or $22.5 million an episode.

The show looks pretty good and the action scenes have been enjoyable but I don’t think they got good enough value for their money.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
It's an ok show but when we're down to only 30 minutes of actual show after season summary intro, intro credits, and end credits it feels like a half assed attempt all around. Good stories need runway to tell the tales and get into the characters. This feels like a B- attempt at this point to just churn out another flavor of the Star Wars brand.

It's like someone in China started their own Star Wears knockoff and came about 80% close on appearance but only 40% on substance.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It's an ok show but when we're down to only 30 minutes of actual show after season summary intro, intro credits, and end credits it feels like a half assed attempt all around. Good stories need runway to tell the tales and get into the characters. This feels like a B- attempt at this point to just churn out another flavor of the Star Wars brand.

It's like someone in China started their own Star Wears knockoff and came about 80% close on appearance but only 40% on substance.
I am actually digging this show a lot now.

Spoilers:

This show is setting up a ton of lore that goes into the prequels, OG trilogy and sequels. The twins will show the power of a dyad in the force. “The Master” IMO is actually the apprentice to Darth Plageuis which would be AWESOME to see in live action. And we will start to see the beginning of the downward spiral of the Jedi. Once nobel warriors slowly becoming dogmatic. I also gaurantee we see yoda pop up.

I am finally hooked into this show. Looking forward to episode 5.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
I am actually digging this show a lot now.

Spoilers:

This show is setting up a ton of lore that goes into the prequels, OG trilogy and sequels. The twins will show the power of a dyad in the force. “The Master” IMO is actually the apprentice to Darth Plageuis which would be AWESOME to see in live action. And we will start to see the beginning of the downward spiral of the Jedi. Once nobel warriors slowly becoming dogmatic. I also gaurantee we see yoda pop up.

I am finally hooked into this show. Looking forward to episode 5.
Check out the Children of the Watch podcast.

• Wow
Reactions: NjDevsRR

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

Are Nobel warriors the opposite of the peace prize winners or some wry commentary on those who have won that?
IMG_6748.jpeg

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
If you forget about episode 3 and/or also remember the episode is setting up a lot of mystery too if you want to think about that, I think Acolyte is pretty good. Not andor or s1 of Mando, but its better than the Boba fett show.

Also the show is taking place in the new High republic era, which is really interesting! I recommend checking out some of the books. The Jedi of this era are actually HEROIC and the force is a lot different and STRONGER in this era

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
There may be no character in all of HOTD or GOT I have wanted to die horribly more than Criston Cole.
I thought we were going to get some fun “which twin lived?” drama but apparently it’s just immediate tragedy.

Reactions: Darkauron

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
There may be no character in all of HOTD or GOT I have wanted to die horribly more than Criston Cole.

I said the same thing to myself after that episode tonight. I will say though, HOTD S2 is giving me peak GoT vibes. The first season was really good too but S2 feels like shit's about to hit the fan in the most insane way possible that GoT S6 did.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Yeah Cole is such a hateable asshole. I cant stand the Greens but holy hell Otto's scenes were amazing last episode, great actor, I really liked Aegons performance as well. There are so many dog shit shows out there that are so horribly written, acted and produced. I'm not used to seeing something thats actually good.

Last edited:

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Yeah Cole is such a hateable asshole. I cant stand the Greens but holy hell Otto's scenes were amazing last episode, great actor, I really liked Aegons performance as well. There are so many dog shit shows out there that are so horribly written, acted and produced. I'm not used to seeing something thats actually good.
Otto crushed; his acting has been incredible. They let Aegon ad lib his character a bit too and it’s working really well.

Reactions: JK3 and Darkauron

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Uhhhh, Acolyte episode 5 has to have the best lightsaber choreography in the entire star wars saga lmao crazy good
Which was about the only good thing about the episode. I think the series has lost me. I'll finish it because even bad Star Wars has fun stuff in it, but the whole series just feels like a CW version of Star Wars.

It just sucks that the legit criticisms of this show are going to be drowned out in the usual noise that has less to do with actual criticism and more to do with culture war bullshit. Or whiny bitch fans that are pissed because somebody's birthdate or lightsaber color was changed.

Also, I've had a few drinks and I'm feeling kinda beligerant, so maybe I'll feel differently on subsequent watches lol

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Which was about the only good thing about the episode. I think the series has lost me. I'll finish it because even bad Star Wars has fun stuff in it, but the whole series just feels like a CW version of Star Wars.

It just sucks that the legit criticisms of this show are going to be drowned out in the usual noise that has less to do with actual criticism and more to do with culture war bullshit. Or whiny bitch fans that are pissed because somebody's birthdate or lightsaber color was changed.

Also, I've had a few drinks and I'm feeling kinda beligerant, so maybe I'll feel differently on subsequent watches lol
1719425269941.png

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
That ep of Acolyte actually had old school Star Wars vibes. The swampy sounds and fight choreography was superb.
And the story is finally fleshed out more

I like it and….

Not to mention many characters got obliterated which makes it easier to focus on the important ones. I felt like this was made to be a movie, if it was, the cohesion between episodes one to five is better

Reactions: Darkauron

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Upon a further viewing I may have been a bit hard on the last episode. I think the Master "twist" being so obvious just annoyed me at the time. The writing is still pretty bad but not really much different than some of the other series. It did have more of the horror vibe I thought the series was going for, and the fighting sequences are good.

The Osha/Mae swap still seems dumb. Like, neither Master Sol or the supposed Sith Lord are going to recognize they've been swapped? Are all Force users so shitty at recognizing people aren't who they claim to be? Or did the Master realize it and is going to try to turn Osha? Maybe they can land it in two episodes, but I have my doubts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad