OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, movies, books, games) part VI - use spoiler tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Word of mouth for Joker 2 has been absymal and it's looking like it's going to be a huge bomb, anyone actually plan on seeing it? The commericals look so bad. I'm going to wait until I can just watch from home.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Word of mouth for Joker 2 has been absymal and it's looking like it's going to be a huge bomb, anyone actually plan on seeing it? The commericals look so bad. I'm going to wait until I can just watch from home.
Seeing it Saturday.

Half the reviews say its good, the other half hated the musical scenes.

As someone who LOVES Willy Wonka, the musical stuff doesn’t impact me. I am looking forward to seeing it. And you never know. The acolyte got murdered in the ratings and yet I absolutely loved it.

Such a toxic environment we live in where people need to hate on something just because it may not be their cup of tea. I am going into Saturday with an open mind. The trailers look fantastic IMO.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Seeing it Saturday.

Half the reviews say its good, the other half hated the musical scenes.

As someone who LOVES Willy Wonka, the musical stuff doesn’t impact me. I am looking forward to seeing it. And you never know. The acolyte got murdered in the ratings and yet I absolutely loved it.

Such a toxic environment we live in where people need to hate on something just because it may not be their cup of tea. I am going into Saturday with an open mind. The trailers look fantastic IMO.

I enjoyed the first one and had even seen them film a bunch of it cause they were filming right near the arena but ticket prices for movies are too expensive for my tastes these days to go into something that has a chance of being bad. If I had Regal unlimited or a list I'd go no matter what.

I saw the trailer a few times and it just looks boring. I don't mind musicals but I'm really not a fan of jukebox musicals and all of the latest commericals on TV that I've seen hides that it's a musical too so I'm sure there's some people going who have absolutely no clue.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I enjoyed the first one and had even seen them film a bunch of it cause they were filming right near the arena but ticket prices for movies are too expensive for my tastes these days to go into something that has a chance of being bad. If I had Regal unlimited or a list I'd go no matter what.

I saw the trailer a few times and it just looks boring. I don't mind musicals but I'm really not a fan of jukebox musicals and all of the latest commericals on TV that I've seen hides that it's a musical too so I'm sure there's some people going who have absolutely no clue.
Once Lady Gaga was casted to play Harley Quinn I lost interest in this sequel fast. The first one was great and I honestly wouldn't of complained if they made a sequel. I don't understand how the Joker is still basically in the beginning of his villian stage but Harley pops into the picture so fast. She didn't come around till he was well established in pretty much every thing she has been in. It looks like she isn't even his therapist in this one either. I'm all for making creative changes but I'm not a fan of what they did for this one. Especially it being a musical or whatever.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Once Lady Gaga was casted to play Harley Quinn I lost interest in this sequel fast. The first one was great and I honestly wouldn't have complained if they made a sequel. I don't understand how the Joker is still basically in the beginning of his villian stage but Harley pops into the picture so fast. She didn't come around till he was well established in pretty much every thing she has been in. It looks like she isn't even his therapist in this one either. I'm all for making creative changes but I'm not a fan of what they did for this one. Especially it being a musical or whatever.
The whole premise of the original movie presented a different version of thr Joker. He wasn’t a criminal mastermind or a true villain in training. He’s just a down on his luck sad story mixed with some pent up aggression. I’m not surprised this sequel tried something a bit off the wall given that was probably the only way Joaquin Phoenix would return. The bigger issue to me is if they try to make it a Batman movie without Batman. That’s happened a fair amount in recent years with mixed results but to me it’s distracting at times.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Yeah this Joker is a complete separation from the classic Joker tales. Which is why I love it. It’s also a very realistic portrayal. I despise the wild superhero movies so this first Joker was perfect for me.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The whole premise of the original movie presented a different version of thr Joker. He wasn’t a criminal mastermind or a true villain in training. He’s just a down on his luck sad story mixed with some pent up aggression. I’m not surprised this sequel tried something a bit off the wall given that was probably the only way Joaquin Phoenix would return. The bigger issue to me is if they try to make it a Batman movie without Batman. That’s happened a fair amount in recent years with mixed results but to me it’s distracting at times.
To add to that, Todd Phillips made the Joker because he wanted to make a character piece movie but no studio would give him the financing for it. He realized he could get the funding if he stapled a superhero overlay onto the story he wanted to tell.

So we get The Joker which is him wanting to make a new version of The King of Comedy but he has to make it a superhero movie.

Now this is the musical movie I’m assuming he’s always wanted to make but he has to staple his superhero universe onto it. It doesn’t look like it’s for me but I’m glad a person figured out a way to make the type of movie they wanted.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I dislike musical movies. I like being pulled into a world of make believe and suspend belief but when they go from a dramatic scene and break into choreographed numbers it completely shatters that for me.

I love music (Rick Beato youtube rabbit holes galore)
I love movies

I don't like to mix the two aside from great scores which elevate the scenes we see by emphasizing the emotions the director is trying to relay. Like John Williams said, a great score is one you don't notice. Plenty of scores where I was like why is the music telling me this is dramatic but the characters and scene aren't?

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I heard it’s pretty bad. Joaquin Phoenix is supposed to be really good as well as the other actors but they don’t have much to work with and it’s just boring.

Warner Brothers barely made any money on the first one. They had outside investors put up the cash which was 50 mil. Now these dummies sunk 200 mil into this one lmao. These companies are so dumb.

I’ve seen that it ruins the first movie and the Joker doesn’t do any Jokery stuff at all. He’s basically weak Arthur Flek all over again even though he already transformed into the Joker in the first movie.

Gaga was good but underutilized. It’s not a real musical musical, I don’t think they actually make through an entire song. A lot of it talk singing if that makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad