Friedman: Conor Garland available?

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
At this point it feels like Vancouver is throwing stuff at the wall and see what sticks. They should keep Garland and just eat OEL's contract since it's pretty buyout friendly in a few seasons.
Possibly or more likely it's media throwing stuff at the wall

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
But why?

Young (check)
best 5v5 scorer on the team by a substantial margin (check)
cheap (check)

The reason why is that the Canucks need a rebuild and you have to give to get.

Garland and Miller are the 2 most tradable guys right now for the Canucks.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Kapanen is younger and cheaper. Way worse, but like I said, younger and cheaper (and not even all that younger/cheaper either). Throw a Poulin on top of him and lets get this done Jimbo (new Jimbo)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Garland AND Miller for Laf? Yea, no chance.

Garland has more goals than Laf has points.
The kid is a bust and you want a top line center and a top 6 winger for him?
Add Schneider, 1st +. Lol

What is being added to Laff? Kakko, Schneider and 1st?

I think you need to add more from Canucks side I mean this is Lafreniere were talking about a 1st OA. The guy has been on fire right :sarcasm:.

Relax, I didn't say Lafreniere for Miller and Garland. I said something around that. Trades need a starting point.

In NYR eyes, they could say a 1st overall pick still has a lot of value, they could've got more say if they traded the pick in 2020. But in your guys' eyes you say you'd want more if those two were going to the Rangers and Laf was coming with whatever is Vancouver bound.

But Lafreniere is still a young player who will be good one day. On the Canucks I think he'd be a very, very good addition. I know if he goes there things are going to look up and go very well.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Even if Rutherford and Co. were to come in and decide that they would actually like a more intense rebuild than we are anticipating, Garland would still be one of the last moves you would look to make. Guy is only 25 (soon to be 26), signed to a very reasonable contract with term, and is the heart and soul guy you want young players in a rebuild to be around.

Miller obviously is the better player, but in terms of trade value a Garland deal would lead to a genuine discussion about how much of an overpayment was it?

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Personally I think everyone is available for the right price minus Hughes and Demko. Mind you that price is going to be overpayment

Reactions: Canuck86

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Vancouver should keep their team together and add a top defenceman in the offseason. Give Boudreau a full season and you'll see similar results as Sutter has delivered in Calgary. Making moves just for the sake of making moves is dumb but that's Rutherford.
How do you add a top defenseman without giving anything up? Honestly even with Miller, Garland on the table who is trading a top dman?

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Garland is definitely a heart and soul guy. An agitator. Crafty, good edges. He is very small and not particularly fast either whcih JR has mentioned numerous times that he wants from this roster. I don't love having Hoglander and Garland on the same top 6 personally, its just kinda too small it seems.

If I am the Canucks though I am listening to all offers and am ready to tear it down given what that 2023 draft looks like. Get a few first round picks in 23', restock your prospect pool and free up cap room. It's the play that has to be made despite it kind of sucking in the short term. This team isn't going anywhere, it's just poorly constructed, capped out and has no more prospects coming.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I personally rather keep Garland. For the amount Benning recently gave up in a trade for him, it won't be worth the risk of losing assets, while still being stuck with Ekman-Larsson contract. The trade would have to blow the Canucks socks off.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
3 way

NYR
Miller

Van
Chychurn

Arizona
PIcks and prospects

Booom solved the problem

Chychrun is a left shot dman who wants to be on the powerplay. We already have Hughes, OEL, Rathbone with those characteristics.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Let me give you guys the Friedman/Marek playbook:

1. Identify a young-ish player with a lot of value based on production/contract
2. Identify a young-ish player with a lot of value based on production/contract who is playing on a bad/rebuilding/underperforming team
3. Identify a young-ish player with a lot of value based on production/contract, who is playing on a bad/rebuilding/underperforming team, then use words like "wonder", "believe", "think", that they "might" be "available" for the right "price"
4. Identify a young-ish player with a lot of value based on production/contract, who is playing on a bad/rebuilding/underperforming team, then use words like "wonder", "believe", "think", that they "might" be "available" for the right "price", and ultimately when the player isn't moved by the deadline, use phrases like "they never got that offer", "the ask was too great for many teams" "I still believe he is available, but I think talks have cooled".

Repeat next trade deadline.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
I don't even know who we would trade for Garland.

I'm guessing maybe start with someone like Sharangovich?

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
If it is NJ, given the immergence of Dawson Mercer at C would they trade Pavel Zacha for Garland?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad