Post-Game Talk: Connoredemption!

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
He’s a bottom pair D playing a bit high up the batting order because the Nurse Ceci pair is an utter disaster so you get the odd bad play. He left Seguin unattended as well. For his price point, size and PK ability I’m willing to live with it.
On second and subsequent viewings, I think VD knew that Seguin was there, and VD had that passing lane covered. What messed things up was that crazy and fluky deflection off of Nurse's skate (again) to a wide open Seguin (right across an open crease).

I think that second goal was just a fluke and not necessarily a sign of inadequate play.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
On second and subsequent viewings, I think VD knew that Seguin was there, and VD had that passing lane covered. What messed things up was that crazy and fluky deflection off of Nurse's skate (again) to a wide open Seguin (right across an open crease).

I think that second goal was just a fluke and not necessarily a sign of inadequate play.
I've never seen a player with so many unlucky bounces off of him. Nurse needs to look at his game and positioning during the offseason and figure out how to make it happen less often.

Reactions: McDoused and Skar

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Even Moneypuck thought this was an even game. Not sure I can handle 6 more of these lol.

1716565400830.png

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Hey, I figured I might ask you since you're in Germany, but how do you watch the games in Europe? @Jumptheshark might need your help on this one as well. I'm going to be in London and Eastern Europe soon and I am super stressed about missing any games. Thanks guys.
I am watching via "sky".

That's a sport channel wich costs money.

So I don't know if this helps...but I know a page where you can watch (illegal I guess).
But I don't know if it's wise to post it here...maybe in private chat.

Reactions: McDoused

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Thought it was a great hockey game. Both teams played well, though I also think both teams have another gear too. Skinner played lights out and looked super confident. You can always tell when he's vibing, it's like he gives off a different aura.

Happy to see McDavid bury the OT winner. He needed that and you could tell he was frustrated. The reffing wasn't outright terrible, but certainly not great either.

Stars play a lot different game than both the Kings and Canucks. Was weird not seeing all the silliness after the whistle. This is going to be a tough series, but I think we proved that we at least belong last night. Don't expect us to get the credit we deserve, but whatever.

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
It’s only 1 game and I could easily change my mind in the first period of game 2 but Dallas doesn’t look like they are as good a team as Vancouver was in the last round. I thought they brought less energy and weren’t close to being as physical. Maybe their older players are starting to wear down a bit.
I posted pretty much the same thing on the mains. They did not look very good. Maybe an off night? I'm not sure but I agree Vancouver scared me more!

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

That's what, four or five goals off Nurse this playoffs? Crazy stuff.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Thought that was another great team game, 3 in a row now. Rolled all lines, and all lines made an impact.

"Depth! Look at Dallas' depth! Wow the depth!" Meanwhile the Oilers' ice time was much, much more evenly distributed on defence and roughly distributed the same way at forward. Our depth beat their depth in this game, straight up.

I don't have a lot to complain about after this one, but there are three details that have to be cleaned up:

1 - D zone face-offs. For the most part almost all of their sustained pressure and prime opportunities came off lost D zone draws, at some points in succession. We probably cut their opportunities in half at least if we had this detail managed better. Leon got absolutely mauled on the dot tonight. Leon appears to have a finger issue, if he can't take draws then Ryan and Carrick can. There is absolutely no reason to tempt fate continuing to throw him out there when he's been clicking at 0% (literally) in D zone face-offs the whole night.

2 - Stop effectively scoring goals in your own net when the other team has absolutely no momentum whatsoever. Been a theme the whole playoffs - have the other team sleepwalking, then do something monumentally stupid to instantly give them life. Even if Kulak didn't fan on that, I'm not sure Benn wouldn't have picked it off anyways. I shouted "no!" at my TV when I could see what he was about to do before the fan even happened. It was a dumb play regardless.

3 - Kind of part of point 2, but need to cut out the soft passes up the boards or off the wall in our own end. Vinny especially was constantly throwing pucks away with soft bounce area passes up the wall. Completely unnecessary. If we have control of the game and we are making a pass in the D zone it better be firm, direct on someone's tape, and not going east west at our own blue line. Anything else can be punted.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I've never seen a player with so many unlucky bounces off of him. Nurse needs to look at his game and positioning during the offseason and figure out how to make it happen less often.
Unlucky is when it happens once or twice. When it happens as consistently as it does- it's no longer bad luck. For some odd reason, he thinks stopping pucks with his skate is a good strategy. I dont know why his stick is usually at waist level when doing this

That's what, four or five goals off Nurse this playoffs? Crazy stuff.
KK needs to tell him to stop using his skate to try to stop pucks

Actually don't disagree with Hyman being a poor passer, but that's not his role and as for RNH being soft, this mfer clearly didn't see him outwork two Stars to get the pass over to Bouch on the GWG, not to mention all the work he's done on the PK.
I've been a critic of Hopkins- but since the middle of the last series he has been an absolute monster.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
I'm familiar with NHL 66, have you found it's stable? Seems like everyone recommends that one.
Yes, that was my second choice...it has worked a few times in the past, the last I tried it didn't work...but that could be because my hardware/software is not up to date.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It’s only 1 game and I could easily change my mind in the first period of game 2 but Dallas doesn’t look like they are as good a team as Vancouver was in the last round. I thought they brought less energy and weren’t close to being as physical. Maybe their older players are starting to wear down a bit.
I agree with this.

Ryan suter
Joe pavelski
Dadonov
All over 35

Benn
Seguin
Duchesne
Tanev
Smith
Petrovic
Haakanpaa
Wedgewood
All well over 30. And another 2-3 that are also over 30yo.

The only reason they aren’t the oldest team in the league is because they have 5-6 players that aren’t even 23 yet.

They are an old team (yes I realize the average age of the Oiler team, although it’s more spread across the roster). Going to 2 OT is tough in both teams but I have to assume impacts them more.

That said, Roope Hintz coming back for game 2 will aid them for sure.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

agree with this, but VD or Nurse has to move or eliminate dadonovs stick in that situation. tough bounce and great play by dadonov to be fair

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yes, that was my second choice...it has worked a few times in the past, the last I tried it didn't work...but that could be because my hardware/software is not up to date.
Thanks bud! Can you pay for and watch Sky online, or do you need to have a Television package with them? I went on their site but it looked like the TNT package required a cable subscription. I'll pay, this situation calls for redundancy lol.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Desharnais is OK.

I can live with the occasional brain fart because him being on that pairing allows Ceci to slide down and both pairings look better as a result.
Vinny is a very good 5-6D being forced to be a #4 because Ceci was playing that bad. Vinny and Kulak were maybe the best bottom pair in the nhl. Neither are as good apart but it’s mitigated by the Ceci Nurse disaster being over.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Dallas always loses game 1. This team found ways to beat Vegas and Colorado despite being in the same position.

The Oilers cannot and shouldn’t underestimate them, I think we will see a very different Dallas Stars team in game 2.

Need this team ready to take it up a notch and be better.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Dallas always loses game 1. This team found ways to beat Vegas and Colorado despite being in the same position.

The Oilers cannot and shouldn’t underestimate them, I think we will see a very different Dallas Stars team in game 2.

I’m happy we showed we can play with them but that’s it. This team has come back from much worse. Even if we win the next one I’m not sold we win the series.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

They don't, I assure you. But they did ALOT of things well, so they should feel good about their effort and about the game plan they have.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Thought that was another great team game, 3 in a row now. Rolled all lines, and all lines made an impact.

"Depth! Look at Dallas' depth! Wow the depth!" Meanwhile the Oilers' ice time was much, much more evenly distributed on defence and roughly distributed the same way at forward. Our depth beat their depth in this game, straight up.

I don't have a lot to complain about after this one, but there are three details that have to be cleaned up:

1 - D zone face-offs. For the most part almost all of their sustained pressure and prime opportunities came off lost D zone draws, at some points in succession. We probably cut their opportunities in half at least if we had this detail managed better. Leon got absolutely mauled on the dot tonight. Leon appears to have a finger issue, if he can't take draws then Ryan and Carrick can. There is absolutely no reason to tempt fate continuing to throw him out there when he's been clicking at 0% (literally) in D zone face-offs the whole night.

2 - Stop effectively scoring goals in your own net when the other team has absolutely no momentum whatsoever. Been a theme the whole playoffs - have the other team sleepwalking, then do something monumentally stupid to instantly give them life. Even if Kulak didn't fan on that, I'm not sure Benn wouldn't have picked it off anyways. I shouted "no!" at my TV when I could see what he was about to do before the fan even happened. It was a dumb play regardless.

3 - Kind of part of point 2, but need to cut out the soft passes up the boards or off the wall in our own end. Vinny especially was constantly throwing pucks away with soft bounce area passes up the wall. Completely unnecessary. If we have control of the game and we are making a pass in the D zone it better be firm, direct on someone's tape, and not going east west at our own blue line. Anything else can be punted.
Knoblauch had the confidence in the depth to not only increase their icetime but also have them out in important moments in the game. The Carrick line had a good game. So did the McLeod line. This is IMO exactly what has to happen for this team to win.
They have to have confidence in their depth players and not over play McDrai.
If the team can get more of that from the bottom 6 (at least be even at 5x5) and Skinner continues to battle as hard as he did in this game then the Oilers can absolutely win this series.

That was a very very close game. It could have gone either way.
Apparently their best player (Hintz) is going to play in game 2 so Dallas will be better.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad