Value of: Connor Murphy to Toronto(specifically TML)

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The ship for Murphy sailed IMO when they signed Brodie.

Before signing Brodie -- Johnsson and Liljegren no problem.

At this point The leafs are done on the blueline. Now just a matter of figuring out what to do with a surplus young blueline or two, and whether there's a better fit than Kerfoot at 3c.

Reactions: qqaz

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Something around either Mikheyev or Liljegren and 3rd or later round draft pick.
Which guy is more expendable to the Leafs? Can you guys even pay Mikheyev?

I'm not actually a Leafs fan at all, so not part of the "You guys" grouping.

But, they absolutely should pay Mikheyev, and no way should they be moving him in a deal for Murphy, let alone adding to him. Mikheyev is a phenomenal young player, the type Toronto should be making sure to hang on to right now.

I could see something around Liljegren + 3rd. But Soupy wouldn't be going anywhere.

Reactions: axlrose87

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'm not actually a Leafs fan at all, so not part of the "You guys" grouping.

But, they absolutely should pay Mikheyev, and no way should they be moving him in a deal for Murphy, let alone adding to him. Mikheyev is a phenomenal young player, the type Toronto should be making sure to hang on to right now.

I could see something around Liljegren + 3rd. But Soupy wouldn't be going anywhere.
Hawks have a severe D logjam. A lot of good prospects knocking at the door and and only 2 spots right now.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
If that happens they'd have to go 4x4 in the expansion draft, protecting Matthews, Tavares, Marner & Nylander up front, Reilly, Muzzin, Brodie and Murphy on D.

Not a big deal as the only forward currently signed right now - and meets the criteria for protection - that the Leafs would certainly groan about losing is Hyman. Kerfoot, if he's still around would be the second they'd have to expose. On the blue line, that would leave Holl and possibly Dermott exposed.

Just laying it out for consideration.
Hyman is a UFA at the end of the season. He could be left unprotected and signed after the expansion draft.

Reactions: TheKrebsCycle

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Hawks have a severe D logjam. A lot of good prospects knocking at the door and and only 2 spots right now.

Where's the logjam?

The Hawks have Keith, de Haan, Murphy, and Zadorov. Adam Boqvist is 20 years old. Nick Seeler is likely a 7th defenceman. Throw Boqvist on one pair, and another spot open for another young guy. It really isn't a good idea to have 3-4 rookie defencement in a lineup, especially not an opening night lineup.

If anyone has a logjam on D, it's the Leafs... Rielly is a #1, Brodie & Muzzin are #2/3 guys, Holl probably a #5 who plays very well in a top 4 shutdown role, Dermott a #5, Bogosian a #6; Sandin & Liljegren both NHL-ready prospects with high upside, and Mikko Lehtonen, a european signing currently tearing up the KHL, who will arrive in mid-season form.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Hyman is a UFA at the end of the season. He could be left unprotected and signed after the expansion draft.

True, not sure why I thought he was signed longer.

In any case, that presents a potential roster issue as they'll have to expose at least two forwards - Kerfoot is one, but as far as I can tell they don't have anyone else that will qualify unless they extend one of Simmonds, Vesey or Spezza before the draft or bring someone else in.

Dubas is obviously aware and will deal with it and considering this is extending an earlier off-topic post for this thread, I'll just leave it at that :skeptic:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Before we signed Brodie, I would have loved to bring in Connor Murphy. He’s exactly the player Rielly needs to play with. I think he‘a a better player than Brodie, as well as a better fit.

That ship has sailed though and we have Brodie. We don’t have room for Murphy without unloading Holl, so you have to take him.

Kerftoot, Holl, and a pick for Murphy and David Kampf.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
True, not sure why I thought he was signed longer.

In any case, that presents a potential roster issue as they'll have to expose at least two forwards - Kerfoot is one, but as far as I can tell they don't have anyone else that will qualify unless they extend one of Simmonds, Vesey or Spezza before the draft or bring someone else in.

Dubas is obviously aware and will deal with it and considering this is extending an earlier off-topic post for this thread, I'll just leave it at that :skeptic:
If I remember correctly Hyman still counts as one of those forwards. And if they choose Seattle could still select him.
But they would have no rights to him beyond the first day of free agency and he could then sign anywhere he wanted including Toronto.
I could have some of the details wrong but I believe this is what happened with Deryk Engelland and Vegas last time.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I would offer Holl and maybe Dermott. Maybe hawks add a pick of sorts. Murphy Easily replaces Holl. Leafs need to find space for a Sandin and Lily sooner than later. With Bogo in the mix, the three of them fight for minutes in that last spot. Adding Murphy would be a huge win for the buds.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
As a Hawks fan you know the cap can be manipulated your team has done it for years so has mine.
Oh yeah it can be done. It seems like Murphy fits the Leafs needs but the Leafs don't have any expendable forwards to send the Hawks.

Unless you guys want to send Willy Nylander for Murphy and either de Haan or Keith(if he'd waive)
It seems like it's not a match from the Hawks perspective.
Hawks would retain whatever to make it cap neutral.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Lmao I wouldn’t trade Sandin straight up for a single Hawks defender right now minus Boqvist.
Nor should you. But you’ll get virtually no value for Kerfoot. His value is neutral at best. Meaning he’s not even worth a 7th round pick without retention. So adding him to a deal won’t make it better for Toronto.

Kerfoot will be a Leaf next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad