Connor McMichael - The real deal or hot start?

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
I remember last year reading the praise of Connor McMichael by Caps fan so I was intrigued. I looked at his hockeydb and nothing that special. Then, I watch a bunch of games and I wasn't impressed for a 22-year-old. I was thinking he could be a 3rd line centre at best which is good considering he's a 25th overall, but I didn't think he would achieve that.

Now, he's 8 in 6 and I watched one game (I know, small sample) and he was very dynamic and involved, I was really surprised! I doubt he'll sustain a ppg ratio for the whole year and maybe he'll never get there in his career, but does he have more to offer than I think? What is his ceiling? I feel like I was wrong to think it was 3rd line centre.

Reactions: BallardEra

Jun 15, 2007
He had an amazing d+1 year and I was convinced he was gonna be a star.

He had a good rookie season.

Then for whatever reason he was in and out of the lineup and struggled for the next couple years.

IMO he is now where I expected him to be. Finally.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Based on my limited understanding of him, he always had the tools to be a top 6 forward. Like a lot of players, his development was not perfectly linear. Now he’s looking like a top 6 player!

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I’ve been a fan of his for a while, glad to see him take off, wish my team would have went after him. Clever player with a great shot and finishing ability.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I think he can be another Strome or Strome lite basically. A 60-70 point guy who produces but isn't a big star.

He and Strome can give the Caps a good 1-2 punch down the middle now that Backstrom and Kuzy are gone.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Whether a thinly veiled fantasy team question or not, it's a fun time for a snapshot for Caps fans.

He probably is not an NHL center. Last season, the Caps had Backstrom and Kuznetsov down the middle to start the season. Backstrom lasted about a week before heading to LTIRetirement, while Kuznetsov was there but MIA for most of the campaign. McMichael had to play center, his natural position, but wasn't thriving at the NHL level and was miscast as a third liner with primarily defensive responsibilities.

The trade for Dubois and the latter's solid start to the season has slotted everyone into their optimal roles down the middle. They're going Strome-Dubois-Lapierre/Protas-Dowd for the most part. Prospect centers Protas and Lapierre continue to mature in their own right.

To some extent, the fact that McMichael has been moved from center to the left wing has helped him find his likely permanent spot at the NHL level. It also puts him on the top two lines, a better fit for his skill set.

Mostly, though, he has gained experience, strength, and found himself on a line that has really clicked with Dubois and Wilson. It is the team's best scoring line right now, with Dubois serving as a big, skilled pivot; Wilson as a throwback north-south power forward; and McMichael slotting in as the line's speedy retriever and agent of opportunity. He's smaller and a bit of a waterbug, but his linemates are massive. Dubois has set him up with some brilliant passing, including a few breakaway opportunities. He looks a lot more comfortable on the wing.

He is benefiting from a line that has clicked, with each of the three offering something complementary to the mix. All three are hot at the moment and they're brimming with confidence. Because of that, the line has the full trust of the coaching staff and is getting lots of ice time, steady reps, and prime opportunities. With success, the coaching is not mucking around with the line, so they've had that opportunity to get to know one another's habits and tendencies.

He didn't get that in the past, but he also has had time to mature into the NHL game. Right now, his line is providing reliable offense and shouldering the toughest line matchup assignments. Small sample size, of course.

The biggest question, and the Caps' short-and medium-term future hinges on it, is whether they have unlocked something permanent in Dubois, or is it just foolsgold. This was always a guy who could be a difference maker if he could find the right fit and sustain the effort to go with his ample size and skill set. He's in a position to succeed, isn't slotted behind Kopitar and Danault any longer, and they're being careful to heap responsibility and praise on him. Other teams have taken pains to do the same, though, and it ended the way that it did in other markets. If he turns back into a pumpkin, then they will have to come up with a new mix down the middle.

That could mean Lapierre shoulders more responsibility and slots into a second-line center role, or it could mean McMichael heads back there. Due to the baggage, fans are watching Dubois and hoping he keeps this up. Right now, he can shoulder 20 minutes of tough assignments and that creates a lot more breathing room down the middle for others to slot into the roles for which they are suited, at center or the wing.

Last edited:

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011
Whether a thinly veiled fantasy team question or not, it's a fun time for a snapshot for Caps fans.

He probably is not an NHL center. Last season, the Caps had Backstrom and Kuznetsov down the middle to start the season. Backstrom lasted about a week before heading to LTIRetirement, while Kuznetsov was there but MIA for most of the campaign. McMichael had to play center, his natural position, but wasn't thriving at the NHL level and was miscast as a third liner with primarily defensive responsibilities.

The trade for Dubois and the latter's solid start to the season has slotted everyone into their optimal roles down the middle. They're going Strome-Dubois-Lapierre/Protas-Dowd for the most part. Prospect centers Protas and Lapierre continue to mature in their own right.

To some extent, the fact that McMichael has been moved from center to the left wing has helped him find his likely permanent spot at the NHL level. It also puts him on the top two lines, a better fit for his skill set.

Mostly, though, he has gained experience, strength, and found himself on a line that has really clicked with Dubois and Wilson. It is the team's best scoring line right now, with Dubois serving as a big, skilled pivot; Wilson as a throwback north-south power forward; and McMichael slotting in as the line's speedy retriever and agent of opportunity. He's smaller and a bit of a waterbug, but his linemates are massive. Dubois has set him up with some brilliant passing, including a few breakaway opportunities. He looks a lot more comfortable on the wing.

He is benefiting from a line that has clicked, with each of the three offering something complementary to the mix. All three are hot at the moment and they're brimming with confidence. Because of that, the line has the full trust of the coaching staff and is getting lots of ice time, steady reps, and prime opportunities. With success, the coaching is not mucking around with the line, so they've had that opportunity to get to know one another's habits and tendencies.

He didn't get that in the past, but he also has had time to mature into the NHL game. Right now, his line is providing reliable offense and shouldering the toughest line matchup assignments. Small sample size, of course.

The biggest question, and the Caps' short-and medium-term future hinges on it, is whether they have unlocked something permanent in Dubois, or is it just foolsgold. This was always a guy who could be a difference maker if he could find the right fit and sustain the effort to go with his ample size and skill set. He's in a position to succeed, isn't slotted behind Kopitar and Danault any longer, and they're being careful to heap responsibility and praise on him. Other teams have taken pains to do the same, though, and it ended the way that it did in other markets. If he turns back into a pumpkin, then they will have to come up with a new mix down the middle.

That could mean Lapierre shoulders more responsibility and slots into a second-line center role, or it could mean McMichael heads back there. Due to the baggage, fans are watching Dubois and hoping he keeps this up. Right now, he can shoulder 20 minutes of tough assignments and that creates a lot more breathing room down the middle for others to slot into the roles for which they are suited, at center or the wing.
This was a really informative post, appreciate the insight.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
His biggest strength is probably his hockey IQ. He’s always been good at finding prime spots on the ice, and is an above average playmaker. The most frustrating thing with him has been his finishing. His instincts get him a lot of grade A chances, but then he’s stone hands. He’s needed to work at getting his shot off quicker and just get better at solving NHL goalies (like any young player).

Our new coach, Carbery, really believes in him and empowered him more last year. Mikey made major strides towards being a more complete 200 ft player. He became a solid PKer and a smarter defensive player.

He started off a little hot last year centering a line with Mantha and Protas. Then kinda disappeared down the stretch. So, remains to be seen if he can be consistent enough to have a breakout season. And he gets minimal PP time on the 2nd unit.

But he definitely looks stronger and faster this year. So far, playing with PLD and Wilson looks like a great fit. If he can unlock his shot, he could have a 25+ goal breakout year.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Someone asked him if he was concerned about facing Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl down the middle and said something like no because we have Connor McMichael and Hendrix Lapierre. Seemed somewhat tongue in cheek to me.

Would have been funnier if he made the "we have Connor McMichael at home" comment.

Edit: How has Hendrix Lapierre been? I remember him being a faller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad