Jan 4, 2012
1720272611440.png

1720272700605.png

Reactions: hurdemz

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If a deal can't be reached between the two sides before the case officially goes to an independent arbiter, the Leafs will either have to accept the eventual ruling, or reject it and allow Dewar to become an unrestricted free agent.

After being acquired by the Leafs from the Wild, Dewar scored one goal with four assists in 17 games played, while also adding an assist in six postseason games. In 190 career NHL games, he's scored a total of 19 goals with 24 assists.

His AAV for last season was $800,000.

Hearing dates July 20-Aug 4th. TBD

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Dewer was supposed to help out on Pk. I wonder what his actual effect was statistically. He looked just ok. I remember a few missed coverages early on but learning new system will do that. How valuable is he? Unless he is a top 4 pk forward I would let him walk as his offense is negligible.

I see Marner, Jarnkrok, McMann, Kampf as all capable.

Maybe opens up a spot for Steeves with less money.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
If a deal can't be reached between the two sides before the case officially goes to an independent arbiter, the Leafs will either have to accept the eventual ruling, or reject it and allow Dewar to become an unrestricted free agent.

After being acquired by the Leafs from the Wild, Dewar scored one goal with four assists in 17 games played, while also adding an assist in six postseason games. In 190 career NHL games, he's scored a total of 19 goals with 24 assists.

His AAV for last season was $800,000.

Hearing dates July 20-Aug 4th. TBD
1720274173302.png

They cannot walk away from the ruling unless you think he will be awarded 4.6mil.

Anything over 1.5 is a disaster. Explains why Minny let him go for cheap.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Why would this waiver bait bottom feeder be electing for arbitration.

That's for players who are good. Guys who can score a few goals. Maybe even play some big minutes on special teams.

It's not for league minimum replacement level players.

How much a raise does Dewar honestly think he'll get. Even I know his salary won't be doubling from where it currently sits. He's lucky it can't go any lower.

At $800k he's league minimum already.

And that's all he's worth. If I was Treliving I would just let him go. There's too many greedy players on the top end of the roster already.

Having a chump like Dewar nickle and dime you, when really he should just feel lucky he has a spot on the team at all, isn't worth the headache of even trying to trade him for future considerations.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON

That's for players who are good. Guys who can score a few goals. Maybe even play some big minutes on special teams.

How much a raise does Dewar honestly think he'll get. Even I know his salary won't be doubling from where it currently sits. He's lucky it can't go any lower.

And that's all he's worth. If I was Treliving I would just let him go. There's too many greedy players on the top end of the roster already.

Having a chump like Dewar nickle and dime you, when really he should just feel lucky he has a spot on the team at all, isn't worth the headache of even trying to trade him for future considerations.
He earned the right to elect for salary arbitration. Every 100k extra he can get makes a difference in his earnings. How is this even a question?

Whether it is worth the hassle is a different question entirely, but that's pretty foul to imply that some players aren't worthy of salary arbitration because of their perceived place in the lineup.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
He earned the right to elect for salary arbitration. Every 100k extra he can get makes a difference in his earnings. How is this even a question?

Whether it is worth the hassle is a different question entirely, but that's pretty foul to imply that some players aren't worthy of salary arbitration because of their perceived place in the lineup.

He's a chump.

Take what you can get or go play somewhere else. See if another team pays more after the Leafs reject the arbitration offer. If the arbitrator even awards more than what he's already getting that is.

Dewar can cash in somewhere else.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

That's not at all how arbitration works or what it is for.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
He isn't worth more than what he is already getting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240706_102259_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20240706_102259_Brave.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240706_102311_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20240706_102311_Brave.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 2

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Seemed pretty vanilla in his short stint with the Leafs last year. Still, would rather keep him as he's a PK capable forward and we gave up an asset to get him.

Reactions: Ciao

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
View attachment 892831

They cannot walk away from the ruling unless you think he will be awarded 4.6mil.

Anything over 1.5 is a disaster. Explains why Minny let him go for cheap.
You are right that wasn't worded correctly (bad cut and paste on my part) only providing general arbitration options rather than realistic outcomes in this case. :)

A 4th line player making $800k is not going to get a walk-away ruling. However its interesting to know what he might be asking for, as the Leafs offer IF there is one must be much lower.

$1.25 mil perhaps?

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Dewar is alright he competes. But the reality is there are 100 Connor Dewar's playing in Europe right now that we can sign that will give us the same performance. I really couldn't care less whether he plays for us next season or not.
I wouldn't care either unless he's going to make over $1Mill. As has already been mentioned, he is easily replaceable at the same salary he made last season.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He isn't worth more than what he is already getting.

To me the correct choice is to let the professionals decide how much he is worth.

I'm not jealous if he gets a raise as an experienced NHL player.

And yes there are the top and there are the bottom level of players.

If you got rid of the worst players in the league there'd be no players in the league. Think about why that is true ...

Reactions: Ciao and Menzinger

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What a pointless trade this was...

Hopefully, he doesn't make the opening night roster and we've upgraded him with some young players in our system who are ready.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
The frustrating part is not that Dewar elected for arbitration, but that we're once again so tight against the cap that we're even concerned about Dewar's arbitration.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The frustrating part is not that Dewar elected for arbitration, but that we're once again so tight against the cap that we're even concerned about Dewar's arbitration.

This filing may cost him a spot on the Leafs. At 900k, he’d probably be on the roster. At 1.4, we probably have to bury his salary and use someone else that makes 900k.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
This filing may cost him a spot on the Leafs. At 900k, he’d probably be on the roster. At 1.4, we probably have to bury his salary and use someone else that makes 900k.
that would be a total wash

sending down a 1,4m contract leaves 500k or so to be accounted for, the player making 900k plus the 500k is 1.4

the easiest solution is seeing what you could get for Kampf

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
that would be a total wash

sending down a 1,4m contract leaves 500k or so to be accounted for, the player making 900k plus the 500k is 1.4

You can bury 1.15 million.

the easiest solution is seeing what you could get for Kampf

And then what?

Go without no defensively responsible Cs? Go without an excellent PKer who can win faceoffs?

Or replace him with someone who can do that and provide more offense? That's not cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad