Proposal: Connor Brown to EDM?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Baffled that he doesn't get more support from Leafs nation, but I guess we're so spoiled by our stars now that anybody who doesn't score 20g every year sucks. Brown is a good player to have, look no further than the Ryan Hartman deal to see what kind of value young depth scoring carries.

The 20 goal rookie season was mostly due to opportunity (especially spending half the season beside Matty).

The problem with Brown isn't that he's not a quality NHL'er, it's that he's not one of the best 6 wingers on this team and he's being paid like one. There's arguably 6 wingers in our organization today (Moore, Marchement, Grundstrom, Bracco, Korshkov, Ennis) that could step into the 4th line role at the start of next season and be just as successful as him (if not better) and make $1.5M less.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Oilers just took Manning and Petrovic, they would love Zaitsev.

Oilers are no different than the Leafs requiring salary dumps. They’re just bad trading partners. Even if the Leafs offered players or picks, it just won’t work. Oilers already have enough bottom pairing DMen anyways.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The 20 goal rookie season was mostly due to opportunity (especially spending half the season beside Matty).

The problem with Brown isn't that he's not a quality NHL'er, it's that he's not one of the best 6 wingers on this team and he's being paid like one. There's arguably 6 wingers in our organization today (Moore, Marchement, Grundstrom, Bracco, Korshkov, Ennis) that could step into the 4th line role at the start of next season and be just as successful as him (if not better) and make $1.5M less.
Not a quality NHL'er?? He plays in the bottom six of just about every team in the league. We might have better players in our system next year (6 is an enormous reach, but that's a convo for the Leafs board) but that doesn't mean we drop the price tag on Brown.

Saying that his goal scoring was due to opportunity as if that is some sort of negative is utter nonsense. A depth guy who is able to contribute more when they are forced up the lineup due to injuries (which is why we all want depth) is a positive. Neither of us are putting a 20g scorer's price tag on him (I asked for a pick in the 40's), but that's not something that brings his price down. Hes secondary scoring and that has value, especially when his contact is reasonable and he's capable of other bottom six duties like PK'ing and not sucking at defense.

I know why the Leafs trade him this summer, but trading him before the playoffs is utterly asinine. We have the cap space and we want to keep our depth as strong as possible. He probably gets moved in the summer, but we'll stack the press box with quality depth before the playoffs if we can.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Brown for a 3rd + AHL Forward, or Brown + 5th/6th for EDM 2nd

yeah thats gonna be a no. doesnt help the leafs at all. Brown is a year and a half removed from being a 20g rookie with no pp time

unless its a bigger deal with a guy like poolparty coming back, its a no. keep your 3rd + ahler

Reactions: Mork

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Why are the Leafs trading away a quality depth player here? The kid scored 20 goals as a rookie, he's a perfect bottom sixer on just about any squad in the league. He wouldn't generate a huge bidding war, but a lot of teams will be kicking tires on him this summer.

Connor Brown for a pick in the 40's at the draft as a dead minimum imo. Leafs aren't adding picks or taking back any salary. If we could keep him we would, but his $2m contract is too much to play on our fourth line. A team that can use him on the third line will grab him and be thrilled to get 15 goals out of a hardworking fan favourite.

Baffled that he doesn't get more support from Leafs nation, but I guess we're so spoiled by our stars now that anybody who doesn't score 20g every year sucks. Brown is a good player to have, look no further than the Ryan Hartman deal to see what kind of value young depth scoring carries.

He'd be a good way to cut cap costs (He can be moved easily). Put in Moore instead, you've just saved 1.5 million.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He'd be a good way to cut cap costs (He can be moved easily). Put in Moore instead, you've just saved 1.5 million.

Sure. I said move him at the draft.

We don't need the cap space during the season, we need as much depth as we can get.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Just because the Oilers RW's are bad. It doesn't make a 13 pt [ on pace for 27 pts ] Brown good.

Brown is an upgrade on anybody not names McJesus, Drai or RNH. Not saying he would garner a lot in return but it would certainly add some speed, skill and PK ability to EDM.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Not a quality NHL'er?? He plays in the bottom six of just about every team in the league. We might have better players in our system next year (6 is an enormous reach, but that's a convo for the Leafs board) but that doesn't mean we drop the price tag on Brown.

Saying that his goal scoring was due to opportunity as if that is some sort of negative is utter nonsense. A depth guy who is able to contribute more when they are forced up the lineup due to injuries (which is why we all want depth) is a positive. Neither of us are putting a 20g scorer's price tag on him (I asked for a pick in the 40's), but that's not something that brings his price down. Hes secondary scoring and that has value, especially when his contact is reasonable and he's capable of other bottom six duties like PK'ing and not sucking at defense.

I know why the Leafs trade him this summer, but trading him before the playoffs is utterly asinine. We have the cap space and we want to keep our depth as strong as possible. He probably gets moved in the summer, but we'll stack the press box with quality depth before the playoffs if we can.

Isnt that hes not means "he is a quality nhl'er.

The 20 goals was due to a high sh%, and the opportunity to play much higher in the lineup than he should because he doesn't drive play and is barely above average defensively. Unless you're playing him top-6 minutes (which he doesn't deserve) and powerplay (which is even worse lol) he's not going to repeat that.

Guy is a 4th liner for us (imo we have better players like Moore on the Marlies today) and he's probably a 3rd liner on most teams. Is he worth a 2nd? Maybe. He's definitely someone that shouldn't be on our team the 1st game of next season though.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Isnt that hes not means "he is a quality nhl'er.

The 20 goals was due to a high sh%, and the opportunity to play much higher in the lineup than he should because he doesn't drive play and is barely above average defensively. Unless you're playing him top-6 minutes (which he doesn't deserve) and powerplay (which is even worse lol) he's not going to repeat that.

Guy is a 4th liner for us (imo we have better players like Moore on the Marlies today) and he's probably a 3rd liner on most teams. Is he worth a 2nd? Maybe. He's definitely someone that shouldn't be on our team the 1st game of next season though.

Don't know what your first sentence is supposed to mean, think the edits got mixed up :p

At this point, nobody is expecting Connor Brown to score 20 goals in the bottom half of a lineup. But the simple fact that he can produce a few points when called upon makes him more valuable and worthwhile than other bottom sixers around the league who cannot. Edmonton has an entire team full of wingers who can't score for beans even when they're getting spoon-fed minutes alongside players like McDavid or Draisaitl. On the ideal team, Brown plays in your bottom six and stays there because your stars are healthy 82 games a year, but in reality teams are looking for those quality depth players who can produce a little when they're given an opportunity. If he was able to drive a line or score 20 goals in top6 minutes he would be a top6 player. If he was a consistent 20 goal scorer on a $2m contract we wouldn't even be talking about trading him. Brown is quality depth and that's valuable in its own right; most teams in the league are looking for it. A 2nd round pick for a young third liner who can chip in some offense and has a decent contract is a completely reasonable ask IMO.

The Leafs will likely need to trade him this summer to make our cap work. There's just about zero chance he gets moved during the season unless it's a hockey trade because we are going to want to add/retain as much depth as possible going into the playoffs. We are lucky to have the depth and young players ready to replace him, but the guy is a valuable hockey player who I will be sad to see leave.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I mean I know he's not a sexy player, but he will add some depth scoring. A mid-round pick should suffice.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Yup. And that's why he's a very easy person to move to save cap. Moore has some nice tools for a cheap bottom 6 forward.
I do think on another team though he can produce more, and get back to scoring 20 goals. In some ways I feel Babcock turned into a grinder after that rookie year.

Reactions: Morgs

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
They would tell you no problem we take him you take Lucic. I don’t see any team taking Zaitsev without something very nice added to him or an ugly contract going back your way.

I'm not a fan of the contract due to the years, but I don't see it as nearly as bad as a couple of Leafs got rid of like Phaneuf and Clarkson.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Why are the Leafs trading away a quality depth player here? The kid scored 20 goals as a rookie, he's a perfect bottom sixer on just about any squad in the league. He wouldn't generate a huge bidding war, but a lot of teams will be kicking tires on him this summer.

Connor Brown for a pick in the 40's at the draft as a dead minimum imo. Leafs aren't adding picks or taking back any salary. If we could keep him we would, but his $2m contract is too much to play on our fourth line. A team that can use him on the third line will grab him and be thrilled to get 15 goals out of a hardworking fan favourite.

Cap casualty that has value. Not a ton of value, but enough to get some peices back. The leafs also seem to have nhl ready replacements in the pipeline. I like leivo and he was a depth casualty, now he's doing well for himself in van. Brown is in the same mold, good defensively but being limited for offensive output. I don't mean to dump on Edmonton, but he would at this time be far and away your best natural winger. As stated by op, played with McD back in Erie and there may be a fit there. Gets drai perma back to center, then nuge to whichever line. I said it in another thread that if sekera is toast and can be put on ltir the leafs would send brown for sekera and a pick (3rd, maybe a 2nd because chia). Edmonton gets viable winger depth, the leafs get the cap relief from brown gone and the ltir space. Can't be done if sekera thinks he play hockey still (terrible, I know but that would be the caveat to the deal).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Tell you to welcome your slightly used Milan Lucic.

We are not the place to dump unwanted salary, especially ridiculously long term salary. Can’t afford him, Don’t want him.

Trader Pete is your GM you are EXACTLY that place no matter if you want to be or not

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Cap casualty that has value. Not a ton of value, but enough to get some peices back. The leafs also seem to have nhl ready replacements in the pipeline. I like leivo and he was a depth casualty, now he's doing well for himself in van. Brown is in the same mold, good defensively but being limited for offensive output. I don't mean to dump on Edmonton, but he would at this time be far and away your best natural winger. As stated by op, played with McD back in Erie and there may be a fit there. Gets drai perma back to center, then nuge to whichever line. I said it in another thread that if sekera is toast and can be put on ltir the leafs would send brown for sekera and a pick (3rd, maybe a 2nd because chia). Edmonton gets viable winger depth, the leafs get the cap relief from brown gone and the ltir space. Can't be done if sekera thinks he play hockey still (terrible, I know but that would be the caveat to the deal).

This is all well and good, Brown may end up being a cap casualty but not now, that is an off season thing

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00