Conn Smythe Tournament (Post 2000's) Round 1: 2008 Zetterberg vs 2009 Malkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which Conn Smythe Winner had the better performance?

• Total voters

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Was it top heavy and "carried?" Scoring-wise I think you can make that case but if you look at the full picture, in terms of team depth, Jordan Staal was the 3C. He was pretty good. Letang, Cooke, Dupuis, Kunitz, Gonchar, Orpik, Fleury - that team actually had no problem winning without Crosby (.619 points % without Crosby in extended time) when he was injured and we have a very large sample size to draw from. Same goes for Malkin.
Name-dropping a sophomore Letang, Matt Cooke, Dupuis and Brooks Orpik, of all people, is not a good case for defending a supposedly deep Stanley Cup contender. That team did not look like a typical Cup-winner and is easily the most top-heavy team in the modern NHL.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Name-dropping a sophomore Letang, Matt Cooke, Dupuis and Brooks Orpik, of all people, is not a good case for defending a supposedly deep Stanley Cup contender. That team did not look like a typical Cup-winner and is easily the most top-heavy team in the modern NHL.

Uh huh. And what was the Pen's winning percentage without Crosby during the 07-08 and 08-09 seasons?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No team in NHL history has relied on its top 2 players more than the 2009 Penguins did with Sid/Geno. Zetterberg was amazing but he wouldn't have been anywhere near the player he was if he had the limited support that Geno had (playing on a line with Ruslan Fedetenko and Maxime Talbot). There needs to be some context with this pick.
Exactly and it's in stark contrast to this ridiculous claim here of what you right call name dropping.

Was it top heavy and "carried?" Scoring-wise I think you can make that case but if you look at the full picture, in terms of team depth, Jordan Staal was the 3C. He was pretty good. Letang, Cooke, Dupuis, Kunitz, Gonchar, Orpik, Fleury - that team actually had no problem winning without Crosby (.619 points % without Crosby in extended time) when he was injured and we have a very large sample size to draw from. Same goes for Malkin.
Stall was 20 years old.

Letang was 21.

Hardly guys in their peaks or even primes.

Contrast that Pens roster to the 08 wings and the suggestion of the Pens supporting cast being "better" is laughable and this poster most certainly knows better but still.......

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Crosby missed 5 games that season dude.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The Penguins are a better team without Crosby and he held them back from glory, as you so rightly pointed out with your small sample size.

Is that what you wanted to hear?

I asked a specific question. It was totally unambiguous.

But I get why you and bambamcamforever seek to obfuscate the facts.

• Wow
Reactions: sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad