Conclusions from the Stanley Cup Final - Post Game.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Thankfully as a Flames fan you'll never have to experience that happening to you.
Oilers and Flames fans arguing about Cups that haven't been won since the neoproterozoic era.

spiderman.png

• Haha
Reactions: optimus2861

Zaar

Feb 5, 2017
Germany
I like the idea of the Conn Smythe. And I like the idea, that the best player of the play offs (not the best player of the winning team) should receive this award. But to hand out the trophy in the moment of your ultimate defeat while your winning opponents are celebrating their ultimate win feels awkward as f*k. As many others already stated: the trophy should be awarded off the ice.

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I say go back to the old after the fact Smythe announcement. The only thing awkward about it was Bettman taking the time to bring out the trophy and announcing it.

Reactions: heksagon

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The silver medal hand out is a bad idea. When it happens in soccer many times the players immediately rip them off so it just ends up being another disrespectful thing.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
To everyone saying he should've accepted it, because its the standard or whatever, getting it as a losing player is such a rare event that there is no right way to accept it.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Forsling in some respects is the Barkov of defencemen. His game is the opposite of loud but he was excellent, glued to McDavid all game including that game saving stick check on him net front in the final 7 mins.

That undoubtedly would have gone in and possibly changed momentum going into OT.

Those who say McDavid underperformed in game 7 do not know what they’re talking about. He fought through the clutching and grabbing to generate countless great A chances. They got their looks the Panthers just matched them.
He's the best defensive defense man in the league and we have him locked up for 5.75 for 8 more years.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022
I hate the oilers as much as anyone and McDavid not coming out to receive the trophy raises my respect level for him if anything

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Stop making excuses for him. Imagine being the biggest name in hockey and you're being presented by the league commissioner in what is arguably the most prestigious individual award in pro sports. The Conn Smythe is that highly regarded, it's not some chump trophy.

Look man, the McDavid hate is getting ridiculous.

He's been the model of consistency and this was just a continuation of him no-showing Games 6 & 7.

E: Realtalk, though, sportsmanship used to be a thing. Yeah, it's soul-crushing, but I thought hockey is all about 'good' traditions, setting good examples, etc.

I understand why McDavid sat it out, I would probably do the same if I had a choice, if we're being completely honest, but I don't agree with it.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I don't know man... He's the captain, they just lost the Stanley Cup, let the guy just be with his team.

Fans are desperate to bash the oilers and McDavid. The guy wants the Stanley cup and nothing else. Some people just do not get it. For him and many players the conn smythe means nothing. They want the grail and nothing else. As a Canuck fan some of the abuse aimed at the oilers and their fans them moment the game ended? Childish is the first word the comes to mind and I have been bashing them all along

You sure about that?

Like some posted, After a couple of years no one remembers who lost or how many games the series went. Oilers have been to the final twice now since the last time the Flames went to the dance. Losing game 7 both times

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Theres no f***** way you guys are still crying about the Conn Smythe. Pathetic. McDavid pulled a chad move , put up Gretzky/Lemieux numbers and y'all still talking smack about a trophy he has no business being happy to accept

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I have no problem with McDavid not picking up his trophy, would have been super awkward in that situation. I don't understand why anyone is bothered by it.

My take on the finals is that regular season position dictated the winner. Panthers had higher seeding, so more home games and thus had more opportunities to put Barkov against McDavid.

If the oilers had the home ice advantage they could have kept McDavid away from that matchup better, as he was dominant against any other matchup in the playoffs.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I have one controversial opinion. If the season is going to last this long, they need to make it a best of five series. Or if they add more teams.
My wishlist for shortening the season involves a reduction in the schedule from 82 to 76 games (cuts 2.0 to 2.5 weeks off the calendar) and cutting the first round back to best-of-five (cuts another 0.5 weeks off). That gets us back to very late May / early June for completion, which would be way better than post summer equinox.

Of course that wishlist and a quarter is worth exactly a quarter, and the NHL would rather just have the quarter.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
My wishlist for shortening the season involves a reduction in the schedule from 82 to 76 games (cuts 2.0 to 2.5 weeks off the calendar) and cutting the first round back to best-of-five (cuts another 0.5 weeks off). That gets us back to very late May / early June for completion, which would be way better than post summer equinox.

Of course that wishlist and a quarter is worth exactly a quarter, and the NHL would rather just have the quarter.
Hockey fan wishes he had the opportunity to watch less hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad