Conclusions from the Stanley Cup Final - Post Game.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
I was at the game yesterday. There's got to be a better more official and more fan friendly way of celebrating the cup.

1. Skate with the Cup around the ring. That way every fan will have a picture with it. Looks much more impressive than small circles.

2. Picking Up Conn Smythe Trophy should be in the Contract. What happened yesterday was awkward and stupid. Show some class, be humble, and learn how to lose. Pick up a trophy or change it's meaning. This is a pro league, you have to come out.

3. Make the losing team stay on the ice until Conn Smythe Trophy. Provide them with some kind of award: flowers, silver medal, etc. Just like at international level, or youth level. Losing in the final is no shame.

4. Let players thank and say good bye to the fans at one corner of the ice.

5. Allow people who bought tickets to receive the stubs for the final.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
2. Picking Up Conn Smythe Trophy should be in the Contract. What happened yesterday was awkward and stupid. Show some class, be humble, and learn how to lose. Pick up a trophy or change it's meaning. This is a pro league, you have to come out.
I don't know man... He's the captain, they just lost the Stanley Cup, let the guy just be with his team.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I don't know man... He's the captain, they just lost the Stanley Cup, let the guy just be with his team.

Stop making excuses for him. Imagine being the biggest name in hockey and you're being presented by the league commissioner in what is arguably the most prestigious individual award in pro sports. The Conn Smythe is that highly regarded, it's not some chump trophy.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Stop making excuses for him. Imagine being the biggest name in hockey and you're being presented by the league commissioner in what is arguably the most prestigious individual award in pro sports. The Conn Smythe is that highly regarded, it's not some chump trophy.
Who cares about an individual trophy when you just lost the major trophy?

Also this - McDavid was likely going through a lot of those same emotions.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
No player worth his salt gives a f*** about the Conn Smythe, especially in a loss. I thought McDavid not going out for that shit showed heart and integrity. It shows it was all about the team for him, not stats, records, or individual awards.

“Oh yeah my team just lost a devastatingly close game 7 in the SCF by one goal, but hold on, let me go smile and take pictures with an individual trophy.”

Would be goofy as hell. Btw, f*** Bettman.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
I think it should just be awarded to the MVP of the winning team. Nobody wants the trophy in a loss. Especially as a captain, I totally understand not leaving the locker room to accept it. I know it is defined as the MVP of the entire playoffs, but I'd argue the spirit of the Conn Smythe has been about leading your team to a cup, and that is the way most think of it who revere the award. It means next to nothing to a player in a loss, and it is almost insulting to ask a player to walk out and set himself apart from his team in accepting the award.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Personally I think the Conn Smythe should be awarded after the playoffs at the same time that awards like the Vezina are awarded. Only award the Cup in the Finals.

It's all about right place, right time and to be totally honest, as much as I feel you should show up and accept your award (and there should be a way for a player to decline it, if there isn't one), I don't feel that awarding that at the Finals is appropriate for reasons given unless you make a Finals MVP award like the NBA.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
No player worth his salt gives a f*** about the Conn Smythe, especially in a loss. I thought McDavid not going out for that shit showed heart and integrity. It shows it was all about the team for him, not stats, records, or individual awards.

“Oh yeah my team just lost a devastatingly close game 7 in the SCF by one goal, but hold on, let me go smile and take pictures with an individual trophy.”

Boohoo. Who cares how McDavid feels. Be a professional and accept the trophy.
The NHL isnt paying him millions to have an awkward moment during the post game ceremony because he didn't ‘feel like’ accepting it.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Boohoo. Who cares how McDavid feels. Be a professional and accept the trophy.
The NHL isnt paying him millions to have an awkward moment during the post game ceremony because he didn't ‘feel like’ accepting it.
But we should care how some random on an internet message board feels? Lmao.

And you’re right, the NHL isn’t paying him millions. The Oilers are, and I guarantee nobody in the organization gives two shits that he didn’t accept it.

This only matters on places like HFBoards. I swear hockey has the most pretentious and sanctimonious fans in the world.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Forsling in some respects is the Barkov of defencemen. His game is the opposite of loud but he was excellent, glued to McDavid all game including that game saving stick check on him net front in the final 7 mins.

That undoubtedly would have gone in and possibly changed momentum going into OT.

Those who say McDavid underperformed in game 7 do not know what they’re talking about. He fought through the clutching and grabbing to generate countless great A chances. They got their looks the Panthers just matched them.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
3. Make the losing team stay on the ice until Conn Smythe Trophy. Provide them with some kind of award: flowers, silver medal, etc. Just like at international level, or youth level. Losing in the final is no shame.
i.e. lets rub it into their faces that they lost.....

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think it should just be awarded to the MVP of the winning team. Nobody wants the trophy in a loss. Especially as a captain, I totally understand not leaving the locker room to accept it. I know it is defined as the MVP of the entire playoffs, but I'd argue the spirit of the Conn Smythe has been about leading your team to a cup, and that is the way most think of it who revere the award. It means next to nothing to a player in a loss, and it is almost insulting to ask a player to walk out and set himself apart from his team in accepting the award.
I agree, and I think the voters lean towards a player on the winning team for the reasons you mention. But the CS is an award for the best player for the entire playoff. How do you avoid the guy who put up historic playoff numbers, including 11 pts. in the Finals? Personally, I was hoping Bobrovsky won. He was mostly great and it would've avoided the awkwardness. But if we're being objective, McDavid was on a whole other level.

Personally I think the Conn Smythe should be awarded after the playoffs at the same time that awards like the Vezina are awarded. Only award the Cup in the Finals.

It's all about right place, right time and to be totally honest, as much as I feel you should show up and accept your award (and there should be a way for a player to decline it, if there isn't one), I don't feel that awarding that at the Finals is appropriate for reasons given unless you make a Finals MVP award like the NBA.
I like this idea a lot. You could argue that since the CS is almost always awarded to a winning player, it adds to the victory in the moment. But maybe the post-game should be all about the team and the only trophy awarded the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: Amorgus and AD1066

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia

So, you thought it showed heart AND integrity not to come out for an award. And then you said it shows it was all about the team for him. How in the heck do you know? He could have been alone in the trainers room crying his eyes out. Not saying that is true, but the projecting going on is weird. Maybe you know McDavid personally and he told you this, but we do know that he didn't show up for an award. And if you think that is integrity, maybe he shouldn't show up at the awards ceremony the NHL puts on every year, for integrity.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
So, you thought it showed heart AND integrity not to come out for an award. And then you said it shows it was all about the team for him. How in the heck do you know? He could have been alone in the trainers room crying his eyes out. Not saying that is true, but the projecting going on is weird. Maybe you know McDavid personally and he told you this, but we do know that he didn't show up for an award. And if you think that is integrity, maybe he shouldn't show up at the awards ceremony the NHL puts on every year, for integrity.

Maybe he shouldn’t then? The awards show is a joke and a waste of time.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
oh give me a break, guy lost the biggest game of his career. leave the guy in peace. who cares if he didnt come out. neither would you. let the guy deal with the loss over coming to give you guys a photo. just pathetic.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I probably hate the Oilers more then any other team (well Habs too.) And even I won't hold it against McDavid for not going out for the Conn Smythe.

This win is probably the last thing on his mind. It'll become relevant when his career is over and people are debating his legacy and place in the top players of all time. Conn Smythe in a losing effort, because of record level production. Nobody will remember he didn't stick around the pick up the trophy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad