Proposal: Complicated Koskinen for Korpisalo trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
CAR Ian Cole $2.9m (to 2022 UFA) to EDM
CAR 2nd 2023 to EDM
CAR 3rd 2023 to ARI

EDM Mikko Koskinen $4.5m (to 2022 UFA) to ARI
EDM Markus Niemelainen (to 2022 RFA) $0.8m to CAR
EDM CAR 2nd 2023 to CBJ

ARI Mikko Koskinen 50% $2.3m to CAR

CBJ Joonas Korpisalo $2.8m (to 2022 UFA) to EDM

End results:
CAR: Niemelainen $0.8m, Koskinen $2.3m
EDM: Korpisalo $2.8m, Cole $2.9m
ARI: CAR 3rd 2023, (-$2.3m)
CBJ: CAR 2nd 2023

Canes get Niemelainen who is a gem, and Koskinen is actually a useful backup. Yotes get a pick for using their last retention slot. Jackets get a fair return for Korpisalo. Oilers immediately improve their goaltending at the cost of losing the hilarious hitman for a solid bottom pair vet.

Note, all four contracts end this season, no long term commitments, and that affected the pick valuations.

(If you think those valuations are off, please simply tell what would be correct instead of yelling and cussing. I'm new at this armchair GM stuff.)

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I'm not convinced that Korpisalo isn't actually worse than Koskinen. Props for doing all the complicated work on it, but I don't think it makes Edmonton better.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There is no chance the Oilers do this. The Oilers will not give up Niemalainen to flip Koskinen for Korpisalo. He has been excellent and has added a dimension that is missing on the team. But the big thing here is that Korpisalo is probably no better than Koskinen as an option for the Oilers.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Terrible for Carolina. They lose defensive depth, and give up 2nd and 3rd round picks for 2 players they don't need.

Edmonton gets an upgrade on defense, a potential upgrade in goal, and a 2nd round pick. You are very much overrating Niemelainen's value.

Arizona doesn't do it either, as I'm sure they can do better than a 3rd round pick with their last retention slot.

The player being retained on is Koskinen. Edmonton is the team with the cap issue. They are the ones who should be paying extra for retention.

Reactions: Guitpik and Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Why would Canes of all teams take salary and another goalie, makes no sense at all.
In this scenario Canes take $2.3m + $0.8m against $2.9m, so $0.2m salary diff. Raanta is super talented but he's going to be injured, every time.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
In this scenario Canes take $2.3m + $0.8m against $2.9m, so $0.2m salary diff. Raanta is super talented but he's going to be injured, every time.
They are one of the top conteneders in the league, they are not wasting cap space because their backup might get injured. If they want a safety net goalie they can pick one up from waivers. If they decide to spend assets it's on meaningful improvement that helps them win. This doesn't do anything for them.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
The player being retained on is Koskinen. Edmonton is the team with the cap issue. They are the ones who should be paying extra for retention.

This is where I'm overrating Niemelainen. EDM got relief for letting him go. hihi.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
They are one of the top conteneders in the league, they are not wasting cap space because their backup might get injured. If they want a safety net goalie they can pick one up from waivers. If they decide to spend assets it's on meaningful improvement that helps them win. This doesn't do anything for them.
Shirley they could use some grit down the road.

Reactions: banks

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Moot point, anyway. Oilers fans aren't giving him up. Can't blame them.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The team in this scenario is Canes, very much a playoffs team, Sir.
Oh right. It must be early

And I'm too used to trade proposals that forget about the NTC lol.

So sure, this idea at least functions, even if the value is debated

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I was assuming Raanta gets injured. I should have said so.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
On the surface this looks ridiculously bad for the Canes but I don't know much about Markus Niemelainen, what can people tell me about him?

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Cool that we're spending assets to somehow get even worse in net and more expensive overall. Coolcoolcool.
Korpisalo isn't worse than Koskinen. And the salary stuff evened out.

(The Wrestler is an underrated movie. Cool cool cool.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad