Compliance Buyout rules for 2014...Clarkson

gmjohnny

Aug 3, 2005
I heard Doug McLean this morning on the FAN saying he thought Leafs would need to buyout Clarkson rather than carry him for 6 more years as this years buyout would not count against the CAP. I thought they already had used their 2 buyouts on Komosarik and Grabo. Can they still do a compliance buyout this summer? If so, they getting him off the books at 5.5M would be mandatory since he is playing like a fringe 4th liner and at his age his game is getting worse not better. If anyone understands the rule on how this would work, please let me know

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Used 'em on Komi and Grabbo and even if we didn't, Clarkson's contract isn't eligible because it was signed after the lockout.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Compliance Buyouts used. Maclean just doesnt have his facts straight, like usual. Best case is you try to trade him to a team with a buyout left willing to pay that money. Would likely have to toss over some serious pieces with him though. (top prospects, top draft picks)

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Compliance Buyouts used. Maclean just doesnt have his facts straight, like usual. Best case is you try to trade him to a team with a buyout left willing to pay that money. Would likely have to toss over some serious pieces with him though. (top prospects, top draft picks)

Even if a team has a BO left they can't use it, as Clarkson was signed AFTER the new CBA came into effect so his contract is inelligable.

I would be buying him out soooo fast regardless....

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Buyout useable 5.5m player who had an off year for 15m dollars(normally 50pt player) in exchange for completely useless 5.25m player that has a 7yr deal.

They should buyout Nonis while they are at it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The irony of it all is that we bought out Komi so we could bring in Clarkson whose contract is 10x worse.

Nonis did Grabo for Clarkson he even said it gave him cap flexibility going forward then got Clarkson lol

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
why do people want to buy him out after one season? this season got off to a bad start with the suspension, and then he had a couple of injuries, basically never got anything going, and Carlyle did nothing imo to try and get his confidence back. you don't buyout the guy after 1 year. you need to give him atleast next year to see if he can turn it around.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
why do people want to buy him out after one season? this season got off to a bad start with the suspension, and then he had a couple of injuries, basically never got anything going, and Carlyle did nothing imo to try and get his confidence back. you don't buyout the guy after 1 year. you need to give him atleast next year to see if he can turn it around.

He ****ing sucks bud, you don't win jack **** with a jackass on your team. You can't compete with that bum.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I'd buy this had he at least shown the odd flash of being a useful player.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

Yeah, that 10 game suspension was IMPOSSIBLE to come back from. :sarcasm:

Guys break legs and are out 4-6 weeks and come back fine. Clarkson was practising and biding his time. He missed 3 weeks basically.

Clarkson absolutely sucks. He can't skate. He can't shoot. He can't pass. He can't stickhandle. Seriously, forget the suspensions and injury, he can't do any of these things regardless!

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Buyout useable 5.5m player who had an off year for 15m dollars(normally 50pt player) in exchange for completely useless 5.25m player that has a 7yr deal.

They should buyout Nonis while they are at it.
I think in Nonis's line of work it's a firing not a buyout.:D

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
In terms of health a ten game suspension for a veteran player is a positive, the player will be more fresh in the middle and late part of the season than his teammates so that's a bogus excuse for his poor play.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
He ****ing sucks bud, you don't win jack **** with a jackass on your team. You can't compete with that bum.

right so playing bad means the guys a jackass?

I'd buy this had he at least shown the odd flash of being a useful player.

Yeah, that 10 game suspension was IMPOSSIBLE to come back from. :sarcasm:

Guys break legs and are out 4-6 weeks and come back fine. Clarkson was practising and biding his time. He missed 3 weeks basically.

Clarkson absolutely sucks. He can't skate. He can't shoot. He can't pass. He can't stickhandle. Seriously, forget the suspensions and injury, he can't do any of these things regardless!

I don't really care how bad he is buying him out right now makes no sense, when you do something wrong would you not like a 2nd chance at fixing something? he deserves to be given a 2nd year, a lot of players who sign big contracts go into the first year trying to do stuff they can't because they feel the need to justify there contracts sometimes the 2nd year they come back to the player they were and does the stuff that made them successful in the first place.

one bad year shouldn't mean we just get rid of a player, cuz news flash every season there's going to be 2-3 players who have bad season's it's the nature of playing in the best league in the world, if your not at the top of your game you will look bad.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
No reason to buyout Clarkson yet. Maybe when we're a more competitive team looking to add that final piece but right now it's not an issue.

Give the guy another season. I know that he's **** and D'Amigo, Ashton, etc. could probably provide more but he's not the difference between us being a top team and an average team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad