Compliance Buyout rules for 2014...Clarkson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
the real story here is that a former nhl gm and current hockey analyst knows nothing about the cba. How the **** do these guys get these jobs????

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Typically the trading partner needs a reason to make a trade other than taking on our bad players and bad contracts. Just a hunch though.

A lot of teams are just trying to hit the cap floor. Especially with the cap projected to be going up, give them something they want in Reimer(maybe not so much as of late) and also give them something to help them hit the cap floor. Most likely we would take on some of that salaray and maybe they are hoping/thinking they can get Clarkson for say 3.5-4mil that is a bargain if he can play like he was a Devil and not like a Leaf. Its a risk/reward play and they get Reimer as well. And it helps us out because we save having to buy him out and only are stuck with a smaller chunk of our cap wasted instead of the full amount for the full term. I think Clarkson is stuck another year but I think likely this will be the route the leafs have to go with Clarkson. Either that or have him killed.

A lot of teams are just trying to hit the cap floor.

There's lot of different ways of hitting the cap floor that don't involve taking on players with 7 year contracts. This is kind of a lazy arguement.

give them something they want in Reimer(maybe not so much as of late)

They have a bunch of goalies now. Doesn't seem likely they'll add another.

maybe they are hoping/thinking they can get Clarkson for say 3.5-4mil that is a bargain

It might be a bargain, but I'd think the term of the contract is making it even more ugly and less appealing to most teams. We couldn't even move Liles for about the same money your talking about without taking a player with similar contract back.

And it helps us out because we save having to buy him out and only are stuck with a smaller chunk of our cap wasted instead of the full amount for the full term.

Sure, those factors make it good for us. Again, not sure Edmonton would be motivated. I'd think if we take on another (perceived) bad contract we are talking about something more likely to occur.

Breakingbad28

Feb 3, 2011
I say embarrass his ass. By making him a permanent healthy scratch for the next 7 years. Make him sit up in the box and watch the game, so maybe he'll see first hand whats hes been doing wrong— who knows, maybe he will retire early!

Reverend Salty

Jun 28, 2004
Leaf Nation
As much as people might want Clarkson bought out (of which I am not one of them), it will not happen for the following reasons;

1) The money would be on the on the cap hit for 14 years.
2) Like it or not, buying him out after a year is an embarrassment to the management and simply will not happen
3) His play is not really the problem, its his use. He is playing the wrong role. That is the fault of the coaching staff, not the player
4) He is new to the team, even after a year, and went from a defensive team to a team that can't spell defence.
5) Fans who take the word of Doug McLean, the fired GM of a bad Florida team and a bad Columbus team really need to give their head a shake. He is the voice of bad management. This is why he works for Sportsnet, not TSN.

Don't get me wrong, Clarkson hasn't helped himself this year, but if the team misses the playoffs, he was not the issue. He is a symptom, not the disease itself.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
Ya, I am sure the higher ups would love seeing Clarkson (MLSE's 5 mil a year) sitting around not playing any games. Just as they would love wasting that money on a buy out after just one year. Would make Nonis look like a fool for signing Clarkson to that contract. (ok.. even more of a fool).

He will be here for a few years.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would probably just banish him to the AHL and take the cap penalty than buy him out so soon. The Ricoh Coliseum is a little closer to Mimico so that works out well for him too.

GhettoHockey

Dec 31, 2010
Toronto
Remember when Bozak really sucked and everyone bashed on him?

Anyways, I am not saying Clarkson is playing good; its the complete opposite, hes sucking. But I'd give him 1 more year before making judgement

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Remember when Bozak really sucked and everyone bashed on him?

Anyways, I am not saying Clarkson is playing good; its the complete opposite, hes sucking. But I'd give him 1 more year before making judgement

Bozaks rock bottom bad is better than Clarksons best, even when bozak was underappreciated. You could the very least get use out of him as a 3c, which I can see him moving to after his 5 years is up and why I wouldnt sign bolland long term.

Clarkson barely beats out damigo/bodie, he was given chances on 2nd, he never found his game, whatever the reasons you cant have this guy up and damaging your team.

You send him to the AHL it would probably kill him, sounds good to me, I would love to see him quit the game. He should never have accepted that contract.

Strategy

Sep 8, 2013
why do people want to buy him out after one season? this season got off to a bad start with the suspension, and then he had a couple of injuries, basically never got anything going, and Carlyle did nothing imo to try and get his confidence back. you don't buyout the guy after 1 year. you need to give him atleast next year to see if he can turn it around.

This is just stupid. He's played what, 55 games now? That's more than enough time to show "something". He hasn't shown he is even worthy of being in the lineup, let alone a 5x7 yr player

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Clarkson barely beats out damigo/bodie, he was given chances on 2nd, he never found his game, whatever the reasons you cant have this guy up and damaging your team.

I don't even know why you'd say he beats out D'Amigo or Bodie. They have recognizable attributes as players. Clarkson doesn't.

beleaf67

Mar 2, 2013
Ottawa Valley
I never thought I will say this but he makes previous bad UFA signings such as Komi, Connolly and Armstrong look SUPERB !!!!

Kids in my son's house league (novice a) do not fall as much as he does. We are stuck with this guy for a long time. Unless he retires or next CBA will introduce another free buyout.

At this point I would just bench his sorry ars...

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Even if a team has a BO left they can't use it, as Clarkson was signed AFTER the new CBA came into effect so his contract is inelligable.

I would be buying him out soooo fast regardless....

I've seen a couple of people say that players signed after the new CBA came into effect are ineligible for compliance buyouts, but I wonder what the source of that belief is. Because I can't find anything in the CBA that says that.

Is it just what some people believe would be logical?

Do you have a link to some believable source on this?

EDIT: Never mind. I found it in the transition rules in Exhibit 16 of the CBA.

Last edited:

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

i'd love to see the scrub shown the door too believe me but i'm telling you 100% nonis won't buy him out this summer

I would probably just banish him to the AHL and take the cap penalty than buy him out so soon. The Ricoh Coliseum is a little closer to Mimico so that works out well for him too.

doesn't he have a no move clause, i don't think they can do that?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
He gets another season at least. no way management mans up to the massive mistake they made this early on. How else we gonna continue this culture of losing

Feb 24, 2004
the real story here is that a former nhl gm and current hockey analyst knows nothing about the cba. How the **** do these guys get these jobs????

Not surprising. Hopefully people remember that - and the Clarkson contract - the next time they feel the urge to make a comment like "I think that the GM knows more than the posters on HF"

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
It's been a year. There's a lot more that's wrong with this team than overpaying Clarkson. At least give him another full year to try and redeem himself. At the very least, his buyout would only be on the books for 10 more years instead of 12.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Why would he be fired because of that contract? Uncle Timmy has his finger prints all over the Clarkson contract. Can't fire him for something he told him to do.

Oh please, "Uncle Timmy" had been on the job for less than four days when they signed Clarkson. He probably hadn't even met Nonis yet.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
When's this new CBA set to expire? 2017? Or am I thinking of the NBA?

Maybe Nonis signed Clarkson knowing there'd be another round of amnesty buyouts to bail himself out?

One can hope at least...

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Oh please, "Uncle Timmy" had been on the job for less than four days when they signed Clarkson. He probably hadn't even met Nonis yet.

uncle timmy knew what he was doing .he got hired to fix the raptors and toronto FC both willl be moneymakers ,lthe leafs make money just waking up in the morning ....1 playoff game pays off clarckson for a year almost

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
He will not be bought out until at least year 4. Maybe he can be traded with salary retention, but you're all wasting your time making a case for an immediate buy out. Not happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad