Commentators/analysts

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
As a Blues fan, I admittedly miss Darren Pang. I thought he brought John Kelly (who is a decent play-by-play guy) out of his shell, and I thought they were one of the better pairs. I don't get the same from Jamie Rivers.

boompuffboom

Jul 10, 2007
Dutchie

1728526383912.png

Stive Morgan

Pas d'excuses
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro is my all-time GOAT duo. Knowledge, passion, and energy. Ferraro gets so upset over the littlest things but that's why I like him. He's like Joe Buck but less obnoxious.

I like Mike Johnson too, but lately he's been coming off as more of a smarmy know-it-all rather than a passionate fan of the game. He used to drop behind-the-scenes NHL facts and compliment good plays by both teams but now he just makes contrarian comments and acts all high & mighty when he says something.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Daniels and Redmond at the top for me. Shorthouse and Garrett were amazing for the Canucks. Houde and Denis are my fav foreign language announcers. Loved Forslund when he was in Carolina with Trip Tracy. Olczyk makes it a snoozefest, prefer JT Brown to him every day. The new Utah PbP guy is nice. Dominic Moore just sounds like a more educated Tyson Nash. Almost thought it was him, when I was listening to Utah's preseason games.

Reactions: tanti9

Foghorn Leghorn

Oct 31, 2017
Loved Don Wittman. He did great work towards the end of his career with John Davidson.

Before taking the front office job with the Sens, I thought Dave Poulin did really good work as an analyst for TSN. He did regional broadcasts for Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal. Was always articulate, unbiased, and provided good insight.

Agreed on both. Wittman was so versatile, and you nailed it about Poulin.

As a Blues fan, I admittedly miss Darren Pang. I thought he brought John Kelly (who is a decent play-by-play guy) out of his shell, and I thought they were one of the better pairs. I don't get the same from Jamie Rivers.

I always thought Kelly's father, the late Dan Kelly, was the gold standard when it came to hockey play-by-play. He was just so good.

Reactions: BLNY and Memento

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
No love for Gary Galley at all? Come on.

Shorty is awesome. The Wings and Jets have solid crews and I love getting to listen to them.

Also quite enjoy Jesse the Body....er, Ken Daneyko in Jersey.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
My all-time favorite PBP/CC duos:
- Gary Thorne/Bill Clement - Thorne is the absolute GOAT of PBP, he's on a level by himself. It's a shame he left to focus on baseball after the lockout.
- Sam Rosen/John Davidson (Sam & JD) - Grew up watching the Rangers with these two, they had such excellent chemistry.

My top 5 PBP guys currently (excluding Sam Rosen, who's retiring after this season):

1) Gord Miller
2) Bob Wischusen
3) Kenny Albert
4) Chris Cuthbert
5) Brendan Burke

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
don't know who is 'best" but the entire Sportsnet team is SHIT. top to bottom.

I think it's a management thing. They all can't independently be so terrible.

It's like the guy running the twitter account is in charge of writing their cue cards.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I'm bias but love the Detroit team of Redmond and Daniels. I find they have no issue laying it on the Wings when they stink, and give compliments to other teams/players when warranted. Plus they have a fair bit of comedy into some of their stuff.

Reactions: Ducksforcup

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
If I'm lucky, the stream I use to watch Stars games features the local duo of Josh Bogorad and Daryl "Razor" Reaugh.

I still miss Ralph Strangis but Josh has done a decent enough job.

If I'm stuck with the national call though, as is the case tonight, then I have to deal with Bob Wisconsin, or Worcester, or whatever his last name is. :laugh:

His PBP is solid but that goal call.......man, you can almost hear him wind up before that scream, every time. :laugh:

At least he's relatively impartial, which is nice.

Last edited:

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Pierre Mcguire is my favourite analyst by far, the guy is a walking encyclopedia when it comes to hockey. He's also easy on the eyes which helps.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Who are your favorite hockey commentators or analysts? I (Canucks fan) really enjoy Shorthouse and think Ferraro is much better than Tomlinson. I am also curious if Sportsnet will have Gadzic involved in any Canucks games after last years comments/controversy. I believe he still did not apologize and Canuck fans can be, for a better word "passionate" lol. Gadzic needs a thicker skin if he is going to succeed in his current role. I think it adds another element into the Canucks/Oilers rivalry.

Cheers
The late Red Fisher was great, and powerful enough to execute change.
Locally, Wayne Scanlan had a mix of intelligence, thoughtfulness and humour that elevated him far above company man status.
In Toronto, probably Jonas Siegel is one of the better ones. The Sun boys and TSN1050 boys are all dreck, mostly. I mean TSN1050 hired a dude off the street with no experience (several, actually) and gave him a job. Yeah, I'm looking at you "Al's Brother", please find other work so I never have to hear or see you again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad