Comedians you do NOT think are funny...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah the Colbert Report was great, can't stand him on the new show. Honestly wished he stuck with the Colbert Report, I think his Schtick worked infinitely times better there, it was satire it was funny, now it just seems forced and to a digree mean spirited.
Difference is it's not satire anymore. Jon Stewart interviewed him on his late show to talk about how scary it was to drop the character and just be himself. With the logical ending being that Colbert has figured it out and is just as good now, which he's not.

Reactions: hangman005

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
See, Colbert harmed himself, as it’s always the same old routine over and over again with him. Maybe he used to be funny, I don’t know, but I think you know what I’m talking about.
Nah you're right, he was never really funny.

His schtick wasn't new, John Stewart did it way better. And John Oliver does it way better than both.
Bill Maher is below all of them though.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I love political comedy so I naturally enjoy a lot of the Comedians who have political material.

Not having any comedians out there using political material would be a travesty.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Amy Schumer. Don't think she's funny at all.

Any comic who relies heavily on political comedy. I'm still burned out from the last presidential election and holy cow I am not looking forward to the next one and this is one of the reasons.

I don't know what this dude is up to these days but I never thought Carrot Top was funny. Always wanted to punch him in the face in those "1-800" commercials he used to do in the early 00's.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Norm is the best of the bunch, and is easily the most naturally comedically gifted of the bunch, IMO-- His sensibilities and mastery of the artform is on a completely different level than everyone else. I think he's the only active comedian truly deserving of being considered an all-time great, personally, even though his peak moments are never packaged neatly in stand-up special form or all that meaningful, material-wise.
Really? You didn’t know? I thought this was common knowledge. When he’s not doing comedy, and doing interviews and other stuff, he’s horrible. Awful personality. Conceited, arrogant, annoying, and cocky.
I disagree. Personally, I love the way that Seinfeld is outside of his otherwise pretty milk-toast-but-quality standup routine, and I GAINED a lot of respect that I initially didn't have for him when I found out about it.

Doesn't suffer fools gladly at all or dance like a monkey for acceptance, has a clear idea of how he thinks about the world that he completely sticks to (one that I generally don't agree with FYI), has a refreshingly completely unapologetic attitude about his talent and about what he thinks he's earned and deserved, and doesn't even pretend to be humble about it (because honestly, why should he?)-- Elitist and smug in a good way, IMO-- There's no fake modesty there. I think he admirably tows that line without crossing over into over-the-line d-bag territory, personally.

I am not familiar with Stanhope.
Bill Burr is remarkable funny and considered one of the great comedians of our time. I don't disagree.
As a religious person who doesn't like swearing, this might be a bad idea, but here's a crazy true story he told.

He's very twisted, self-destructive, and defeated/nihilistic in a very unflinchingly principled and strangely admirable/liberating way. Very few comedians actually deserve the "He just doesn't give a ****" label that gets thrown around, and Stanhope is probably one of them. Very punk rock.

Here's more:

Last edited:
Reactions: Avalanche

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Of the political comedy guys, I think Stewart's the strongest, personally.

I can understand disliking John Oliver's delivery/formula/ideas, but man, I just love the format of Last Week Tonight. We need more pre-planned and fleshed out comedic video-essay-type shows that deal with a single broad topic of importance. It works so much better than daily talk shows that just jump from current event to current event, covering the news of the day. It just feels so much more cohesive and useful in actually trying to get to the bottom of something, and individual episodes are actually memorable (whereas format-wise, the Daily Show is mostly just a blur of random **** of varying quality, with no episode sticking out or feeling like its own thing).

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Of the political comedy guys, I think Stewart's the strongest, personally.

I can understand disliking John Oliver's delivery/formula/ideas, but man, I just love the format of Last Week Tonight. We need more pre-planned and fleshed out comedic video-essay-type shows that deal with a single broad topic of importance. It works so much better than daily talk shows that just jump from current event to current event, covering the news of the day. It just feels so much more cohesive and useful in actually trying to get to the bottom of something, and individual episodes are actually memorable (whereas format-wise, the Daily Show is mostly just a blur of random **** of varying quality, with no episode sticking out or feeling like its own thing).
Stewart is absolutely the best.

I can respect the amount of work and thought that goes into Last Week Tonight but John Oliver can grate on me in more than small doses. I used to watch every week but it got on my nerves after a while.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I did not love Raymond.

I liked Romano in Paddleton, but it's actually a pretty serious movie. He is good in that one.

Also never understood the hate for that sitcom. It was like Home Improvement but with better actors, without kids and more based around food.

As for me, I don't like any of those comics who have become late night hosts. Except maybe for those that emerged many years ago, like Conan and Jon Stewart.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I liked John Stewart. He was clever and funny.

Most of today's late night political stuff grates on me - a bunch of immoral Hollywood people lecturing the rest of us how to think / act. :thumbd:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Jay Leno

never have laughed at any of his stuff, and dont see how he held on to the Tonight Show for so long.

flip side, his car shows are great stuff, I can listen to him talk about cars all day

edit: and Tosh. always has been a discount Dane Cook to me

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, the selection process of modern late night hosts (and political daily show hosts for that matter) feels very gross and suspicious to me. Almost as if higher-ups are intentionally putting unfunny, inoffensive, soulless, back-bone-less puppets in that position who will do their bidding for when the time comes or something. Even with a guy who seemed to really have his **** together like Colbert, it comes across more like having been mysteriously kidnapped, mind-wiped, and trotted back out all Stepford Wived or something. :laugh:

I mean, compare that to when someone like a relatively unknown and extremely unpolished dork like Conan was hired to replace Letterman or when Craig Ferguson got to be a host.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If I see someone talking **** about Stanhope I'm not going to be responsible for my actions.

The man's a prophet.
I like listening to Stanhope's specials. He was kind of like the guy who paved the way for Bill Burr. His rants are fun to listen to because few people can rant as manically as him and still come out making sense and be amusing. But he's not the funniest of the comedians out there. But I wouldn't say he's unfunny either. I just think Bill Burr has better pay offs to his individual rants (I can't really call them punch lines)

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Nah you're right, he was never really funny.

His schtick wasn't new, John Stewart did it way better. And John Oliver does it way better than both.
Bill Maher is below all of them though.
Colbert Report was great, and go watch Strangers With Candy and tell me he isn't funny or talented.

Stewart's Daily Show was GOAT, not just because of him, but because he had a revolving door of great correspondents. A lot of them have shown they can't replicate it on their own, but killed it as bit players.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Yeah, the selection process of modern late night hosts (and political daily show hosts for that matter) feels very gross and suspicious to me. Almost as if higher-ups are intentionally putting unfunny, inoffensive, soulless, back-bone-less puppets in that position who will do their bidding for when the time comes or something. Even with a guy who seemed to really have his **** together like Colbert, it comes across more like having been mysteriously kidnapped, mind-wiped, and trotted back out all Stepford Wived or something. :laugh:

I mean, compare that to when someone like a relatively unknown and extremely unpolished dork like Conan was hired to replace Letterman or when Craig Ferguson got to be a host.

You could have just said Jimmy Fallon you know. :D

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sweet. It seems that every comedian isn't funny.
I mean, you shouldn't be able to get universal agreement on who's good or bad, and you can't expect a group of people to behave like one hive-mind.

Personally, I love guys like George Carlin, Norm MacDonald, Doug Stanhope, Larry David, Patrice O'Neale, Mitch Hedberg, Dave Chappelle (although I his work doesn't quite measure up to his reputation for me), 2006-2011 Louis CK, Steven Wright, Todd Barry, and (if they count) non stand-up guys like David Letterman, David Mitchell, Karl Pilkington, and all the members of Monty Python. There's tons of great comedy out there beyond what's mentioned in this thread.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad