GDT: Columbus vs Toronto || 7 March 2022 7pm EST | ESPN+/Hulu

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Korpisalo is the best goalie on the CBJ roster.

It’s a shame his health has been what it’s been this year.

Reactions: behemolari

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
Can anyone tell me why they do not out Ros and Domi together more? They have had chemistry in the past.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Can anyone tell me why they do not out Ros and Domi together more? They have had chemistry in the past.
I like what they’re currently doing with Ros, giving him a chance to play top 6 with two of their best offensive players. This isn’t me endorsing Ros - I want to see what he can do when given a golden opportunity and it’ll be up to him to demonstrate he’s a keeper.

I’ll grant you Ros and Domi had occasional chemistry, but Domi is soon to be gone. And Domi is doing just fine with Kuraly and Danforth.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
  • Elvis; he played the 3th game in 4 days. So he was probably tired because some goals could save.
  • Laine didn`t have his day, he had some problems with the puck and not because of forchecking (he can play under higher), shoots weren`t ideal (for him, of course), except a great shoot in the end of the game.
  • Bad play in the front of the net. Kukan and Peeke played terrible.
  • 3 games in 4 games didn`t help.
  • I think Bemstrom would play better than Gaunce or Chinakhov.
  • I like Kuraly`s line, especially Max. His pass was fantastic. :thumbu: Similar like Gus pass to Bjork. :thumbu:
  • I understand Bean didn`t play too much minutes because he didn`t play long. I hope he`ll be O.K. soon.
  • I must say Matthews played very good in backchecking.
"Bad play in the front of the net. Kukan and Peeke played terrible."

Agree, and applies to the entire D-corp. Thus why I struggle with the volume of shade thrown at Elvis (not so much you, just that your post came at the end of a series of "blame Elvis" posts). Not saying Elvis is on his A-game, but the defensive play in front of him (forwards also) has been...shoddy? The entire team got worked in the 1st period. Yes, the team is scoring more. The fact that the team is scoring more AND giving up 4-5 goals per game lately is in part due to the shift to a more offensive-minded team. Not absolving Elvis entirely, he needs to be better. But the goals against are more a team thing right now than a goalie thing.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio

So in looking at the stat card, the 4 CBJ defensemen who played the most minutes were atrocious on defense in last night's game.
But several blame Elvis for the loss...I'm not always clear on what makes up these individual stat card ratings, but it does suggest one thing to me - the entire team was terrible defensively last night (which isn't new or news) and Elvis was not able to bail them out. Again, I agree Elvis needs to be better. The entire team needs to be better defensively without surrendering any of the offensive punch they have show. Elvis has been played a bunch coming off injury, and looked like he ran into the wall last night. He generally has shown a need/desire to play a lot in order to be sharp, but 3 in 4 nights is too big an ask for any goalie. I agree that Korpi (if healthy) or Berube (if Korpi not healthy) should have the next game, probably should have had the net last night - not because Elvis is struggling but because he needed a break (whether Elvis would admit it or not). Larsen looks to be coaching goalies like Torts sometimes coached forwards - the closer it got to the end of the year and the more meaningful the games got, the shorter the bench became. Larsen wanting his best on the ice with a playoff spot in reach (albeit a BIG stretch) - and thus Elvis as much as possible. That may work in the playoffs with no b-t-b games - it does not work well over 82 games for skaters or goalies, imo. Roll 4 lines, Role 3 pairs and keep your #1 G playing enough to be sharp but not enough to be tired.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
"Bad play in the front of the net. Kukan and Peeke played terrible."

Agree, and applies to the entire D-corp. Thus why I struggle with the volume of shade thrown at Elvis (not so much you, just that your post came at the end of a series of "blame Elvis" posts). Not saying Elvis is on his A-game, but the defensive play in front of him (forwards also) has been...shoddy? The entire team got worked in the 1st period. Yes, the team is scoring more. The fact that the team is scoring more AND giving up 4-5 goals per game lately is in part due to the shift to a more offensive-minded team. Not absolving Elvis entirely, he needs to be better. But the goals against are more a team thing right now than a goalie thing.
Peeke and Kukan... I ment their play when Toronto scored.
There's a difference when Elvis gets a stupid goal and when the defense plays poorly.
But he was probably tired in the last game so no pretensions.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Not getting the deal with 3 games in 4 nights for Elvis. Playing like that comes with the job of being the number 1 guy. There really shouldn't be a problem with it. Berube did it just before Elvis came back. Actually, his 4 starts came in 6 days. It comes with the territory.
As far as Elvis losing the game goes, he had plenty of help. Him getting grief about it doesn't surprise me though. Korpi would get it when the team would play bad in front of him also.

Reactions: thebus88

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Elvis needs to be better, sure there's lots of brutal defensive plays but it's just a fact of life at this point the Jackets need very good goal tending. Elvis can do it but he needs to be playing his best game, currently he seems to lack a bit of confidence and is making quite a bit of mistakes, like last night one goal went through him by the post when it really shouldn't have and other time he didn't stop play when he had the chance but instead swatted the puck away right to TOR and it kept the pressure on and led to a goal.

Laine I thought had a weaker game, didn't seem to get much done, though absolute bomb on that 5-4 goal, not sure if it got deflected, but if it didn't it was a perfectly placed shot. In any case would be interesting to know if that fancy jumbotron showed any speed for the shot, it looked really hard. Luckily Nyquist was playing probably the best game I've seen from him this season offensively. PK time + playing with Bjorky and Voracek seems to have done Roslovic some good, he's playing a lot better than he used to. Good to also see Domi stepping up, even if it ends up being just for perhaps getting a better price for him at the deadline.

Really felt like a game the Jackets should've come up with a point at least. Toronto fans keep blaming their goalies for everything, but they really don't play good defense at all and the team is not very balanced, they have deadly offense, that first line is really good but based on the games vs CBJ the team lacks heart and as opposed to what TOR fans would like you to believe, Matthews is not really looking a Selke caliber center. Which is fine, he's still one of the best players in the league but that's not because of his awesome defense. If the CBJ games are any inclination, TOR won't really go anywhere in the post season. They look like a weaker version of FLA and I'm a bit skeptical about FLA as well, but at least they seem to have better depth and I have more faith in their ability to tighten up the game for playoffs.

Overall I still like what I see from CBJ, sure there are problems and horrible defensive lapses and they have some trouble putting together solid 60 minutes, but at least they have no quit and that bodes well for the future. I really think at least being in the fight for a playoff spots is better for their future than having a bit higher draft pick.

Reactions: VT

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Elvis needs to be better, sure there's lots of brutal defensive plays but it's just a fact of life at this point the Jackets need very good goal tending. Elvis can do it but he needs to be playing his best game, currently he seems to lack a bit of confidence and is making quite a bit of mistakes, like last night one goal went through him by the post when it really shouldn't have and other time he didn't stop play when he had the chance but instead swatted the puck away right to TOR and it kept the pressure on and led to a goal.

Laine I thought had a weaker game, didn't seem to get much done, though absolute bomb on that 5-4 goal, not sure if it got deflected, but if it didn't it was a perfectly placed shot. In any case would be interesting to know if that fancy jumbotron showed any speed for the shot, it looked really hard. Luckily Nyquist was playing probably the best game I've seen from him this season offensively. PK time + playing with Bjorky and Voracek seems to have done Roslovic some good, he's playing a lot better than he used to. Good to also see Domi stepping up, even if it ends up being just for perhaps getting a better price for him at the deadline.

Really felt like a game the Jackets should've come up with a point at least. Toronto fans keep blaming their goalies for everything, but they really don't play good defense at all and the team is not very balanced, they have deadly offense, that first line is really good but based on the games vs CBJ the team lacks heart and as opposed to what TOR fans would like you to believe, Matthews is not really looking a Selke caliber center. Which is fine, he's still one of the best players in the league but that's not because of his awesome defense. If the CBJ games are any inclination, TOR won't really go anywhere in the post season. They look like a weaker version of FLA and I'm a bit skeptical about FLA as well, but at least they seem to have better depth and I have more faith in their ability to tighten up the game for playoffs.

Overall I still like what I see from CBJ, sure there are problems and horrible defensive lapses and they have some trouble putting together solid 60 minutes, but at least they have no quit and that bodes well for the future. I really think at least being in the fight for a playoff spots is better for their future than having a bit higher draft pick.
The meter showed only 85 mph so I’m guessing it probably deflected off Holl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad