GDT: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Detroit Red Wings | 10/4/2018 7:30PM ET| FSD MOD NOTE POST #750

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Also Howard might as well stay in his net. He disrupted multiple easy exits by playing the puck behind the net for no reason.
That drives me nuts about a lot of goaltenders, even ones who are good at playing the puck.

They skate out to to corral it or try and flatten it out when it would've been easier for the Dman to do it himself and not have to wait or skate around the goalie.

Even goalies who can play the puck well, they should track how many of their passes up ice lead to turnovers versus how many actually work as good outlet passes. Because 90% of the time giving it to the defenseman 3 feet from you is a better move than making a long pass up to the blueline or further.

Reactions: mantha39

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It wasn't a clean game but it was strangely the most promising game I've seen from the Wings in quite awhile. instead of a bunch of over the hill vets screwing up and clearly not being good enough, we had a bunch of kids screwing up but hopefully getting better. I'm not sure how to describe it, but there's something different about youthful mistakes that just doesn't kill me as much as when vets make them, or when the vets just simply haven't been good enough.

For the first time in a long time our blueline looked like it could get the puck up the ice and weren't just desperately trying to force the play back into the neutral zone.

This was Osgood's take in the post-game. I agree with it.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I am very curious how this first month goes, because I am still of the opinion we are going to see some supremely bad games or periods from these young players. How they fail and how they respond will be key.

Reactions: jkutswings

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Cholowski and Hronek can move the puck and make plays. I am fine with seeing them take some lumps when they can actually make things happen and transition the play.

They also move around in both the neutral zone and offensive zone. It allows for us to have more looks and makes the defense have to give up more space and play tighter. Overtime them exploiting movement and openings should make the game easier for all the guys in our lineup. They need to get better at it, but I like that they aren't stationary in terms of you know where they will be like DK and Ericsson for example.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am very curious how this first month goes, because I am still of the opinion we are going to see some supremely bad games or periods from these young players. How they fail and how they respond will be key.

I think that is a reality of the season... We are going to have nights where we get our teeth kicked in with this lineup in my opinion. What they learn will be key. But I can see this being a thing for the year not just a month.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I think that is a reality of the season... We are going to have nights where we get our teeth kicked in with this lineup in my opinion. What they learn will be key. But I can see this being a thing for the year not just a month.
I only mean the month in terms of what we really can expect from each player this season. One game or even a week is too small a sample before I can determine (or at least reasonably guess) the mettle of these guys over a season.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Cholowski and Hronek can move the puck and make plays. I am fine with seeing them take some lumps when they can actually make things happen and transition the play.
Agreed.

Especially because it seems like correcting defensive coverage lapses is more teachable than making skilled outlet passes.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Yep, there will be many more games like last night, except next time the opposition's puck are going to start going in a lot more. We had o business getting a point in that game. Hopefully we can at least be exciting offensively, and score more than last year.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
He does. It's also hard to stay engaged playing with rookies and over-the-hill players. Maybe if the coaching staff and the fans watched the vets with a magnifying glass like they watch AA this team would be a lot better too?
You must be incredibly new here if you think the vets don't get raked over the coals. We've beaten that horse to death resurrected it beat it to death again. Know why AA gets more shit than vets? Because everything has been said about them a million times and nobody cares about them or expects anything from them. AA is young and has talent thus the expectation and frustration.

Oh my that vets comment has me dying.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Sorry to burst your bubble but it’s not just AA at the far blue line it’s everybody. The problem with the way blash is playing this team is that there is never any support on the ice. Go watch the game again and watch our exits there terrible. The D have no options anywhere on the ice because all three forwards are gone out of the zone. I saw multiple times where the D could have preformed a simple reverse but instead went high glass. This is coaching. Blashill is doing an awful job of it

Never suggested it was just one player. There are a lot of deficiencies on this team that will lead to a lottery pick.

But I don't think there is any player on this team that leaves most fans wanting more than AA. He will produce a highlight goal or two in the next two weeks. But day in and day out, I find him disappointing. As Datsyuk would say, he avoids pulling the piano. I can't remember a player leaving me feel this way since Primeau.

Last edited:

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Last year AA was benched because of "effort" a subjective thing to measure. I have just to see Gator, Kronwall and a bunch of other players benched for giving poor efforts which they clearer have.

lol, you will be alone in your argument if you are going with Gator giving poor effort. Poor performance sure, but he is all effort. As is Kronwall, Helm, etc...

Are you getting performance confused with effort and giving a crap?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Im starting to believe AA's problem isn't just lack of effort, but a lack of IQ in most cases. He doesn't know how to do anything but try to burn people a lot of the time. So if he doesn't have that chance he doesn't do anything.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Im starting to believe AA's problem isn't just lack of effort, but a lack of IQ in most cases. He doesn't know how to do anything but try to burn people a lot of the time. So if he doesn't have that chance he doesn't do anything.
As a rookie, Larkin flew past defenders pretty regularly. Then defenders learned his approach, and countered it. For a time, Dylan was stymied, and had a pronounced sophomore slump.

But then he put the work in, began to diversify his game, and has shown improvement.

AA still seems to be in the phase of having a singular approach (but maybe due to physical effort instead of mental preparation).

Reactions: Oddbob

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
You must be incredibly new here if you think the vets don't get raked over the coals. We've beaten that horse to death resurrected it beat it to death again. Know why AA gets more **** than vets? Because everything has been said about them a million times and nobody cares about them or expects anything from them. AA is young and has talent thus the expectation and frustration.

Oh my that vets comment has me dying.
I was talking about vets getting a pass from Holland and Blashill not people without power like all of us behind a keyboard or smartphone....

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Or maybe everyone excepts him to be as dynamic defensively as he is offensively. Look at Ovechkin he was terrible defensively and got better as he got older. He needs to grow as a player. AA isn't the reason why we lost nor will he be. Our roster isn't that good to begin with but hey we need a scapegoat so let's all blame AA

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Atrocious game from AA. Failed his audition at center halfway through the first game of the season, and responded by unraveling completely. I guess amateurish describes it? One of the most out of place games I've seen from a player in the modern NHL.

Hoping some of the vets are just a bit behind form, due to the heavy emphasis on evaluation during the preseason, because there's a long list of experienced guys that chipped in very little last night. Vanek needs a big bounce back game or else the leash should get pretty short soon. Was surprising to see Bertuzzi falter out of the gate.

Pretty promising start all in all. First few minutes were great, and they managed the game pretty well as the tide turned. Worried about our depth at forward at this point, but looking forward to seeing how big of a difference Green and Svechnikov can make as far as holding on to that positive possession momentum for longer stretches.

Cholowski's effect on the shape of our game is palpable, and there's a 20 minute window every night now where our forwards can get activated on the positive side of square one.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Or maybe everyone excepts him to be as dynamic defensively as he is offensively. Look at Ovechkin he was terrible defensively and got better as he got older. He needs to grow as a player. AA isn't the reason why we lost nor will he be. Our roster isn't that good to begin with but hey we need a scapegoat so let's all blame AA

AA and Vanek had the worst game of all the forwards.

a -25 corsi rel for a game is tragic. 8 to 25 is an abysmal night.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Scouts have been saying AA doesn't understand how to use his teammates since he was 16. I know he flashes that ability from time to time, but it is hard to disagree, the offside last night was a classic example of AA just not paying attention and trying something that has no possibility of working.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

When AA scores 50+ goals like Ovie he can get a pass.

Last edited:

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.

AA is the spacegoat around here. Especially with Shaman. He hates the guy. I don't know if AA ran over his dog, cut him off in traffic. But he constantly posts how much lack of effort he puts in. I think there is some truth to the lack of effort. But not as bad as some people think. I could be wrong.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Somewhat. Was kind of dozing off quite a bit, partially from the lack of scoring chances. Thought it was pretty lackluster.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
AA is the spacegoat around here. Especially with Shaman. He hates the guy. I don't know if AA ran over his dog, cut him off in traffic. But he constantly posts how much lack of effort he puts in. I think there is some truth to the lack of effort. But not as bad as some people think. I could be wrong.

I don't think it is unreasonable. Guys that don't play hard every night and only want to do solo offensive stuff don't last long in this league unless they are really special. Not even sure just 50 points makes that okay but Shaman is willing to set that as a benchmark if AA wants to play this way.

Listen AA hasn't earned more ice time. He still doesn't use his teammates. He still no shows for almost entire games and sometimes strings that together into multiple games in a row like that. Yes he has an upside, but we need more from him at this point and he seems unwilling to go there. That is fine, but excuses aren't going to be made for him. He played like **** last night. Now hopefully he can get it back on the rails in Cali Sunday and Monday. But he was the most disappointing player especially off the pre-season to put out a clunker like that is startling. Hopefully he can take the appropriate steps to be better and more consistent this year or he deserves people running him. I do think he was the worst player we iced last night and that isn't scapegoating it is AA was the poorest of the bunch of not very good hockey players.

Reactions: Oddbob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad